Xcaret and Biodegradable Suntan Lotion

dz63

I understand that Xcaret requires you to have biodegradable suntan lotion. I am having a hard time finding biodegradable suntan lotion around here.

Anyone who has been to Xcaret, do you remember what brand of suntan lotion you could purchase there? Is it waterproof?

Thanks

I had bought some awhapui moisture mist and was allowed to bring it into the park(paul mitchel)all natural and no prob.good with a base tan(i was spraying all around me):) I applied my sun screen prior to getting on the bus too.http://www.caribbean-sol.com/store.asp?pid=14849&catid=19776

try this site:

http://www.caribbean-sol.com/store.asp?pid=14849&catid=19776

I don't use suntan lotion but when we have gone to Xelha they were having people open their totes and checking for lotion that was not biodegradeble and confiscating it. They were also handing out small packets of biodegradeable lotion.

The bottle I bottle I bought at Xcaret is Caribbean Pacific brand and was 115 pesos or $12.23US at the time I purchased it. I got it a few years ago though so things may have changed. Can I give the phone number and email on the bottle or is that against the rules?

Kroger stores around here as well as natural food places carry them. One brand is JAASon. It is so awesome I use it all the time. I put samples in with bags I made for family travelign with us this past Nov and Shawns grandpa liked it so much as it cleared up his arms sores from his diabetes that he bought some to use as lotion Very good stuff

From another message board:

"I looked EVERYWHERE at home to find biodegradable sunscreen as I didn't want to get ripped off on my vacation. I gave up. THEN I came on vacation (actually am there right now!) and found that BANANA BOAT BOTANICALS, has a sticker on it down here that says "Biodegradable" on it, and it's the EXACT same product I bought at Walmart at home. It's called Banana Boat Botanicals, the one I brought was SPF 15. It's in a green tube and has a very nice scent. Mine didn't have the sticker on it but it looks like the version down here was just stuck on after the fact. But they are the same product so it's ok. Incidentally they charge double down her (Cancun) than they did back home in Canada. Anywhere you buy sunscreen at home should have it. I think there are other SPF levels in this line too."

I suspect that it is probably this product:

http://www.beachtrading.com/babosu.html

I have also read on other sites that Xcaret will acept an "oil-free" sunscreen but have not been able to confirm this yet. If anyone has been to Xcaret and has first hand knowledge, please post.

dz

• 1 year later...

Hawaiian Tropic contains Octinoxate as an active ingredient, an ingredient shown in recent studies to cause coral reef bleaching and disease.

Banana Boat Botanicals contains not only Octinoxate and Octocrylene, both shown in the recent study to cause reef bleaching and disease, but also contains Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, and Methylparaben, all banned ingredients at Xel Ha and Xcaret (all are petroleum based ingredients). It is also not biodegradable, despite the sticker. The store owner probably just figured he could sell it at a higher price that way.

Jason Naturals Sunbrellas contains Octinoxate, Oxybenzone, Octisalate and Octocrylene, all bad stuff for the reefs, and is not biodegradable.

Caribbean Solutions is a good choice.

Other good choices are UV Natural, Soleo Organics, Kiss My Face, Luvea Neutral, MexiTan and BATAB.

^ Just took a look at the label of the Hawaiian Tropic "Biodegradeable" sunblock. It also has Oxybenzone, Octisalate. Seems like it is not as "environmentally friendly" as they would like you to believe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it ANY amount of the chemicals? We have a Neutragena that is PABA free, but does have some small amounts of oxybenzone (3%) and octinoxate (5%). We'd like to hit that park when we're staying on a land tour in May but don't want the $10.00 sunscreen confiscated.

Is it ANY amount of the chemicals? We have a Neutragena that is PABA free, but does have some small amounts of oxybenzone (3%) and octinoxate (5%). We'd like to hit that park when we're staying on a land tour in May but don't want the $10.00 sunscreen confiscated.

Yes, it's any amount of the chemicals. Neutrogena is not a good choice for use in Mexico, plan on saving it for summer at home and buying an environmentally friendly brand for your trip.

Okay, so I will commit to not go into the water with non biodegradeable sunblock on our trip. However, I went to get the 'Kiss my Face' sun screen and it has Octinoxate listed as well...

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/Sku/54931

:confused:

The SPF30 does, the SPF18 contains only Titanium Dioxide 5%.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/Sku/54930

I don't think they will confiscate your sunscreen permanently. If they are checking bags when you arrive, I believe that they simply hold your sunscreen for you at the front entrance, so you can collect it on the way out. On the day, we entered the park, they did not even check our bags. We did see behind the font desk a series of "pigeon holes" where they would put confiscated sunscreen in an organized manner, presumably to allow you to identify and collect yours on the way out of the park.

• 2 months later...

I think you should purchase the sunscreen at the park. You can also purchase the biodegradable sunscreen at several places in Playa del Carmen. Most places carry this type of sunscreen down there.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think they will confiscate your sunscreen permanently. If they are checking bags when you arrive, I believe that they simply hold your sunscreen for you at the front entrance, so you can collect it on the way out. On the day, we entered the park, they did not even check our bags. We did see behind the font desk a series of "pigeon holes" where they would put confiscated sunscreen in an organized manner, presumably to allow you to identify and collect yours on the way out of the park.

You check your sunscreen at the front desk before you enter the park, and get it when you leave. If you are found with non-biodegradable suncreen in the park, they will confiscate it permanently.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
No-Ad is not biodegradable, and not permitted for use at Xcaret.

Your posts are so helpful, thank you!! I have been looking at all these other posts and going "Really, that counts as biodegradable?" and getting totally confused. Thanks!! I am ordering myself some Mexitan.

• 1 month later...
No-Ad is not biodegradable, and not permitted for use at Xcaret.

Johann and Sandra,

I’ve not seen this amount of detailed information for biodegradable sunscreen. Thank-you.

Is there an ‘official’ list?

I have product that is listed as chemical free and seems to follow the guidelines that you've mentioned. Based on the ingrediants, is it safe for environmental concerns?

Also, it is a product that I know works well. So, I'd rather stick with it than risk skin cancer.

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/sun-outdoor-sun-care/chemical-free-sunscreen-spf-30.html

Johann and Sandra,

I’ve not seen this amount of detailed information for biodegradable sunscreen. Thank-you.

Is there an ‘official’ list?

I have product that is listed as chemical free and seems to follow the guidelines that you've mentioned. Based on the ingrediants, is it safe for environmental concerns?

Also, it is a product that I know works well. So, I'd rather stick with it than risk skin cancer.

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/sun-outdoor-sun-care/chemical-free-sunscreen-spf-30.html

Hola, no official list that we know of. The only reason we don't recommend Burt's Bees is that it is not waterproof - it washes off faster than other brands, and of course sunscreen in the water, biodegradable or not, is not as good as sunscreen that stays on your body. It does stay on for short periods like splashing around in the waves, but not long enough for snorkeling or water sports. Best option in the water is always to wear a snorkeling shirt or wetsuit to keep the sun off your back instead of sunscreen.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Archived