Vancouver Accessibility

Cruzbw

Hi, we are considering doing an Alaska cruise from Vancouver and taking our adult daughter who is in a chair. She cannot stand up at all to transfer to a seat due to mental disabilities. We would travel by train to Pacific Centre in Vancouver. What is the best way to go from the train station to the pier? My wife and I did a taxi from Pacific Centre to Canada Place a couple of years ago, but I did not check out accessible transportation at that time.

Yes, we live around Seattle and it would be MUCH easier to do a round tripper from Seattle, but I don't do the easiest things!!! Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bill

I don't know about the train station, but we had no problem getting a wheelchair accessible cab from the airport to the pier and from the pier to the airport in Vancouver. Much easier than most US cities.

Yes, there are a lot of accessible taxis in Vancouver. You should have no problems. You could also take the skytrain, (which is accessible) but if you have a lot of luggage that may not work too well for you.

Candy

When you phone for the cab tell them how many are in the party and how much luggage you have. A friend of mine needed to split up his party because they only sent a small cab for the handi van. The wife went with the luggage in another car. They were told to explain howmany people and luggage so that they could bring the right size van.

Wow, thanks for the answers. If we do this, it sounds like I should call for a handi van. And I'm assuming when I'm at the train station, there will be a info desk or info board that shows me the identification and numbers for an accessible van taxi. Thanks again.

Incidentally, if anyone arrives in Seattle for a Vancouver cruise, travelling by Amtrak up to Vanc is a real nice way to go. It is so cheap (about $23 each way), and a scenic and fast ride. Only issue is one trip each day and it leaves Sea at 7:45 a.m.

Bill

Archived