Carnival Formal Nights

Frequent Floater

Can anyone please advise if the formal nights on the Alaska sailings are as formal as others. I was thinking that with the exhausting touring and heavier packing of clothing, maybe it is just a tad less formal.. I am not talking jeans, nice suit pants and dress shirt without jacket for the 2 nights??

I will be on my first cruise to Alaska this coming fall but I would assume it is normal protocol, Formal night, men, dark suit and women, cocktail dress. Carnival tends to be more relaxed with their formal dinners than some of the other cruise lines, so as long as you don;t wear shorts or jeans you could probably get away with it.

Thanks CALMOM. Our first time on an Alaskan cruise. We have been on several CCL cruises and we have always dressed (tux and cocktail dress) for formal nights.

I thought if someone that had been on this itinerary could offer first hand info on if passengers still took all their finery along or tried for a more semi formal look. I wouldn't want to be out of place for sure.

When is your sailing?

From everything I have read it is less formal then other cruises for exactly the reasons you stated. MOST people are flying in and don't want to hassel with lots of clothes that they may only wear once.

I plan to take a nice pants suit (wear twice) while I'm packing sports coats for the guys.

I also did not want to drag any formal wear with us for our Alaskan tip but my husband was the one that suggested that we go all out since this is our very first cruise and we are celebrating 25 years together so he went out and bought a really nice black suit and I bought a long black ball gown. Yes it will be a pain to drag it around with us before our cruise but I am hoping that when we get the pictures back of us in our formal wear it will be worth it.

I think the formal nights were less formal than on other cruises, but some people did dress up...I myself work black slacks and a glittery blouse one night and the second formal night I wore the same black slacks with a blouse that had a Satiny finish and I was "formal" enough for Alaska. I agree with the other posters...I am sure it is because there are only so many outfits you can pack...As I said a few people were dressed up, but fewer than on formal nights on Carribean cruises. My husband wore a sports jacket and shirt and tie. Have a great time...and don't sweat the small stuff...

By all means you should drag along your best for the photos.

THis being our 16th CCL sailing we have enough formal photos taken over the years it is a non issue.

With our platinum perk of laundry we will not having to pack as much daytime. I am just concerned about DH NOT taking his tux jacket or even a sport coat which is the bulk I would like to leave home.

Hope to hear back form those going soon if they see many without the mens jackets..

Thanks to all.

YUP thats me...:)..I am a product of the 70's...You know sex drugs and rock and roll....I gave up the drugs waaaaaaaaay back when...BUT I still listen to the Rock and Roll and the Louder the better..

I will conform on Formal nights but thats as far as it goes..:p

We cruised the Carnival Spirit to Alaska in 2001 and didn't see any difference in formal nights compared with our non-Alaska cruises. Others will tell you differently, but that was our experience.

We'll be just as dressy on our cruise (to Alaska) this summer as we were on our other cruises--DH will rent a tux through the cruise line and DD and I will be in formal wear as well. :D Love the pictures!

Jayne

:)

Archived