Cape Verde.... what's there to see?

tak2

I'm booked on an Oceania TA with Cape Verde being one of the ports. There's little on it on these boards. It's the only port during my cruise that yellow fever shot is recommended. Is it worthwhile getting shot for ?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

We were on HAL's Prinsendam and Cape Verde was one of our stops. Yellow Fever shot was required for our cruise, I don't know if it is optional for you. We had to show proof before we got onboard. You might want to check that out.

As to what is there, it has an OK downtown. Some historical buildings, outdoor flea market, indoor fish mkt., mostly french spoken. We walked to downtown along the shoreline road, hired a cab for an hour to take us to some hills for photos and dropped us at the flea mkt. We did not feel unsafe going on our own.

MaryA

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Having read so much about misinformation from head offices staff ( not just the one I'll be on ) I hesitate to take their word for it. Did you recall seeing fellow passengers that did not have yellow fever vaccination being denied boarding the ship? I wonder if one is willing to not go ashore at that port, will it be acceptible by the ship?

On our cruise, the yellow fever shot was required for boarding. We made sure that we had one and the proof. Everyone around me at check in must have had one as everyone was checking in with no problem.

As we stepped up to the check in agent - they asked for 'passport and proof of inoculation' as one phrase. So, get the shot-I would not take the chance .

The shot is required by the country you are visiting - not the cruiseline.

MaryAnn

PS We, also, went to The Gambia and Senegal.

• 1 month later...
On our cruise, the yellow fever shot was required for boarding. We made sure that we had one and the proof. Everyone around me at check in must have had one as everyone was checking in with no problem.

As we stepped up to the check in agent - they asked for 'passport and proof of inoculation' as one phrase. So, get the shot-I would not take the chance .

The shot is required by the country you are visiting - not the cruiseline.

MaryAnn

PS We, also, went to The Gambia and Senegal.

I have checked the Cape Verde Embassy site. They recommend a shot, but do not insist on it. If the cruiseline are insisting, surely they will tell us, won't they?

Archived