First Time Cruiser Traveling w/ 1 Year Old

Hi! Last summer I took my 1.5 year old and six year old on a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Miracle. My little one is very "active" but he really did well on the cruise. First, I would recommend the Chicco umbrella stroller. It's more expensive than your average umbrella stroller because it has a little compartment below where your child sits. It also has the cover? part so your child will not be totally exposed to sun. It's also very lightweight and not an obnoxious size like your typical strollers. We also brought up a blow up pool we kept on our balcony. We used it about three times. Since you're going with other family members you can tag team during all your meals. Anytime my son was about to lose it, one of us immediatley removed him from the dining area. The head m'aitre even complemented my entire family (parents, etc) about how well behaved my son was. I think it's great you're going on a cruise. It's the only way to go if youre traveling with multi-generations. We've planned another cruise on the AOS June 2008. I'm psyched because now both kids can spend time at the camp. Enjoy!

I just got off the AOS, and there were many babies on board this ship. They were all well-behaved, and their parents appeared to all be having a good time. I certaintly didn't mind cruising with the young children. Enjoy yourself and have a great time. Take advantage of those family members to babysit for you while you have a few minutes to yourself!

We cruised with my daughter when she was a toddler.

My best suggestion would be each day you & your spouse each take a turn watching the baby so the other can get some uninterruped "off time". (perhaps during nap-time) It seemed like there was so much for her to get into that we didn't dare take our eyes off of her for even one second, which can get very tiring. However it was very helpful if we each had an hour or two to ourselves to simply lay in the sun & read a book or whatever, not being responsible for anyone else.

Of course if your baby isn't walking yet it may be easier for you. There's something to be said for a kid that stays where you put them!:D Life certainly changes once they're mobile!

What great advise beachchick!

I would add, be prepared to follow a normal nap schedule to some extent, unless your child is quite flexible. When I traveled and my kids were very small, that helped there whole day!

Have a wonderful famiy vacation!

Thanks. And I'm so glad you mentioned keeping to normal nap schedules as much as possible. That is such a good idea.

beachchick

Our first cruise was when our child was 2 years old on the Big Red Boat. It was the cruise to get our feet wet and see how we liked it and how the baby did. At the time it was the "disney cruise". OUr son is now 23 years old. He had a terrific time. I have picture memories of him with pirates, with rabbits, in the parade with the baked alaska. The staff oowed and aahed over him. Even the programs for children have changed. When we cruised, very few offered year round for the children. At the time, we lived in IL and wanted to cruise when it was cold up north. I was limited to a few lines that had year round activities not just summer and holiday sailings. We did fine. We traveled in a stroller, and were able to maneuver around. He has been on 13 cruises. As he got older we had to follow the school schedule, and made it a point to cruise at xmas. Holland America which tends to have an older clientele, was great at xmas. Santa came in a sleigh pulled through the pool. Lots of games, prizes. Don't be discouraged about previous post. I will say, that will my son is my pride and joy, I respected that everyone else did not, and made my son "tow" the line with behavior. NO fits. I only wish the adults, acted as well as he did!!!!

I just got off of a 7 day cruise with my 15 month old. We had a good time. I was definitely grateful to have family there though. My son would not sleep in the pack and play so we had a bed companion all week. Not something we do at home so it was interesting. Bring the stroller, you'll need it to walk around port. I dont know about you but my little guy is too heavy to carry around for too long.

As for dinner, the wait staff all around us was so attentive that my son got the point where he pouted when they werent paying attention to him. He could make it to dessert and then we took turns carrying him around.

Be aware that you probably wont be able to do much at night. Once his bedtime hit, unless someone wanted to stay with him, our night was over. No Bingo, or slots for me!

Do bring the sippy cup, and an inflatable tub to bathe the baby in.

We did attend the fisher price class but stopped after the first day, because the staff was not very friendly, and the two other kids who were there had tons of snot running down their noses. I did not need a sick child.

Let me know if you have anyother questions.

Our son at 12 months was in the middle of transitioning from baby food to real food, and from bottles to sippy cups, and from formula to whole milk.

We took him on vacation when he was 18 months. We packed some foods we knew he liked. I took a few of those little apple sauces, some peanut butter and bread, mini oreos, etc. At the windjammer, you could get some extra milks for your frig (if you'll have one in your cabin).

Also I had meal bags made up with disposable everything. Each bag had a toddler fork & spoon, bib, wet one packets, stickers, etc. I threw a couple in the diaper bag every day. When done eating, you just toss it all. Also you can get disposable sippy cups.

The best thing we packed was the mister fan and an extra set of batteries. We filled it with ice and water every day to handle the heat.

We tried the fan that clips on a stroller. He wouldn't leave it alone. He kept trying to remove it.

We have him signed up for his first cruise next year. Judging how he did last time on vacation, we'll probably try to stick to a hearty breakfast, a morning excursion, then lunch and a nap. Pretty much the same schedule he is on right now, except the excursions are to Walmart or Lowes. Ha!

Have a great time!

Archived