First Time Cruiser Traveling w/ 1 Year Old

There are plenty of balcony cabins that are not junior suites.
How about YOU checking your facts and/or reading the first post!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The PP was correct. Only suites and above on the MONARCH OF THE SEAS have balconies.

How about YOU checking your facts and/or reading the first post!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The PP was correct. Only suites and above on the MONARCH OF THE SEAS have balconies.

Thanks flagger!

Also, just to clarify the comment about the wading area, was meant for potty trained kids, everyone with kids knows that diapers in the pool is a no no!;)

When our younger son was 18 months, we took him and his older brother (who had just turned 4 at the time) on the Rhapsody, and we all had a great time. Since then, we've cruised with our boys three other times, and it's always been great. You just have to be flexible, and you have to plan with the child in mind. Usually, when I hear that someone had an awful time travelling with children, it's because they planned the trip as if the children were merely luggage. That doesn't work at all, and everyone ends up pulling their hair out, including the kid.

One thing that can be tough to find on the ship is what I call "running around room." Kids like to squirm and move and run around some. They like to get a little loud and crazy, and they need to do that sometimes. While they can be loud at the pool, there is very little room for them to move. We took our son out to the Promenade Deck (or whatever they now call the deck somewhere in the middle that has the lounge chairs). Usually, there were very few people out there, and most were in one area. We would go to a remote area and let him run, jump, boogie, or do whatever suited him. I usually joined, and that was even more fun. Just find a good spot like that and let the kid cut loose for a while.

Also, keep in mind that naps may not be very easy to manage. There is so much going on around the ship, it's hard to get a child to take a nap. Even if you go back to the room, it's hard. The kid just knows there are all these other things going on out there. Eventually, though, every young child's tank will get to empty. For our younger son, that usually happened around dinner time. The funny thing was that, he would take a nap at the table. It worked out well. We would order, he would pass out, and then he would awake with a hamburger or some spaghetti in front of him. Not a bad vacation, even from his point of view! :) If he got fussy other times, we just had to find a spot where he could be still and quiet for a little while, and it got better.

Our son actually enjoyed the shows, but he is something of a night owl (for better or for worse).

As far as the crew and the other passengers, I agree with the majority of posters. They love kids. Whenever we've cruised with our boys, the crew just adore them. They are the stars of the show. Other passengers also seem to enjoy them. We all have a great time.

Don't be afraid to get a sitter, either. We have had great success with the sitters on board. They are crewmembers who do it during their time off. Our boys have always enjoyed the sitters. Just go to the Purser's Desk as soon as you can and reserve times. The sitters can get booked up fairly quickly. We usually get a sitter for three nights on a seven night cruise. Try not to do it on the last night, though. For one, that's a busy enough night (i.e., you're packing and you have to get up early). It's also a tough night on the crew, and you may run into some problems.

Just be flexible, plan with your child in mind, relax, and enjoy the cruise!

D

With a ONE year old???? eck! I would seriously see if there's anyone that can watch him for a few days at home. You're going to have to carry him around the boat (stollers are not going to go over well), and you'll be very limited in what you can and can't do. A lot of people are going to look very negatively on a crying baby in the dining room also (or anywhere else you take him, for that matter).

Also consider the outdoors...I don't think your child will like the strong sun you'll be encountering. And there can be a number of loud noises that he may not be too fond of (bands playing, kids screaming, etc)

Don't get me wrong...I like kids and all. But I don't think a 1 year old will make for a fun cruise vacation for mother or child.

Thanks for your opinion and welcome to CC but that's not really the case. There is a whole board here at CC and a whole army of parents that take their young children...yes even infants on cruises.

ANY day on a cruiseship with the kids is better than ANY day at home.

Strollers are fine on the ship. Babies are drawn to all of the excitement of the "loud noises". And most parents are smart enough to ;leave if the baby is crying in the dining room.

To the OP - you can get real world advice for families at the Family Cruising Board...feel free to stop over.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

With a ONE year old???? eck! I would seriously see if there's anyone that can watch him for a few days at home. You're going to have to carry him around the boat (stollers are not going to go over well), and you'll be very limited in what you can and can't do. A lot of people are going to look very negatively on a crying baby in the dining room also (or anywhere else you take him, for that matter).

Also consider the outdoors...I don't think your child will like the strong sun you'll be encountering. And there can be a number of loud noises that he may not be too fond of (bands playing, kids screaming, etc)

Don't get me wrong...I like kids and all. But I don't think a 1 year old will make for a fun cruise vacation for mother or child.

How come I knew there was going to be a post like this? :rolleyes:

Plaid the only downside is if they're not pottytrained children can't get into the pools. I went with my children on Majesty of the Seas in November 2006. And we had a ball, the crew, especially my room attendant, catered to my son. I would rather be worried with him then without him. When on land there is so much more you can do and besides you have lots of family that can give you a break from time to time. Go and enjoy.

We just got back from the Mariner with our son that just turned 2. It was actually a great trip. The staff was great. I had purchased a small blow up pool on the advice of someone on this board, but they already had a fairly large one blown up for all of the toddlers. We brought our small umbrella stroller, it really came in handy for long walks! We used the ships pack-n-play, our stateroom attendant had it ready and waiting for us when we arrived. We used babysitters for most dinners, he was just wiped out by then. Any specific questions, I'll be glad to try to answer. Have a great trip!!

Lori in TN

Last week on the Brilliance there were quite a few babies and they had their big strollers not the umbrella type. We saw many a kid sound asleep in their strollers throughout the day. Definitely bring a sun shade that attaches to the stroller as the sun is a lot stronger in the caribbean.

How come I knew there was going to be a post like this? :rolleyes:

Because not everyone feels the same way about children. Roadnut posted a valid point. A lot of threads are posted about the bad behavior of children and their parents for not supervising them properly. To some people bringing a 1 yr old on board dosn't make sense and they are entitled to their opinion. Weather it be sun exposure or being around loud noises. To people without children, I could see that they may be annoyed if there is a problem with crying at the dinner table when the parents take no initiative to rectify the situation by leaving the dining room. It's all about manners and being aware of how your babys behavior effects other people.

Because not everyone feels the same way about children. Roadnut posted a valid point. A lot of threads are posted about the bad behavior of children and their parents for not supervising them properly. To some people bringing a 1 yr old on board dosn't make sense and they are entitled to their opinion. Weather it bee sun exposure or being around loud noises. To people without children, I could see that they may be annoyed if there is a problem with crying at the dinner table when the parents take no initiative to rectify the situation by leaving the dining room. It's all about manners and being aware of how your babys behavior effects other people.

I agree. We all need to express our opinion, especially when it points out what we think are errors in parenting. Just because the children are not our own does not mean that we should subject them to neglectful actions of their parents.

I wonder if you could find a SMALL and I mean SMALL blow up pool....you could sit on one of the upper decks so you won't be in anybody's way...and fill your little pool with a little bit of water and some cups and I bet your little one will have a ball splahing...and pouring the water out of the cups etc.

I hope it works out.

You just have to go with the flow.

Having little ones ion vacation is hard but these are precious times as well...you just have to be flexible.

Because not everyone feels the same way about children. Roadnut posted a valid point. A lot of threads are posted about the bad behavior of children and their parents for not supervising them properly. To some people bringing a 1 yr old on board dosn't make sense and they are entitled to their opinion. Weather it be sun exposure or being around loud noises. To people without children, I could see that they may be annoyed if there is a problem with crying at the dinner table when the parents take no initiative to rectify the situation by leaving the dining room. It's all about manners and being aware of how your babys behavior effects other people.

Oh I agree...everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but when the person tells the OP to leave the child at home because of all of the problems the child will cause...And the poster does NOT have children so in reality has NO idea what they are talking about in regards to children, then no wonder it seems rude.

If you want to go on a vacation and see no children, then I suggest NOT choosing a cruiseline that caters to children and markets to families WITH small children. RCCL, Disney, NCL and Carnival are the family friendliest. So coming to the RCCL board and saying not to bring a child is ridiculous because the cruiseline disagrees.

I don't go to the Celebrity and Hal board and pretend to know what I am talking about because I don't. I would expect the same on the children's threads on the RCCL board.

Sorry for sounding so harsh but this really irks me about THIS board. I don't see this kind of reaction on the Carnival board.

Oh I agree...everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but when the person tells the OP to leave the child at home because of all of the problems the child will cause...And the poster does NOT have children so in reality has NO idea what they are talking about in regards to children, then no wonder it seems rude.

If you want to go on a vacation and see no children, then I suggest NOT choosing a cruiseline that caters to children and markets to families WITH small children. RCCL, Disney, NCL and Carnival are the family friendliest. So coming to the RCCL board and saying not to bring a child is ridiculous because the cruiseline disagrees.

I don't go to the Celebrity and Hal board and pretend to know what I am talking about because I don't. I would expect the same on the children's threads on the RCCL board.

Sorry for sounding so harsh but this really irks me about THIS board. I don't see this kind of reaction on the Carnival board.

I agree, this is at least the third thread today that I have read here that is bashing children on cruises. I am bringing my teenage son on our cruise in June. Yes he is 16 but don't judge him until you have met him. Not every teenager out there is going to cause trouble just like not every baby out there is going to cry at dinner. I was much happier with the 2 yr old little gentleman that sat at the table beside us on our last cruise than I was with the whiny old complainer that didn't like anything that sat at our table. To the OP, have a wonderful cruise with your child, we traveled all the time with our son when he was young and continue to do so now. If you do use an unbrella stroller, see if you can get one that reclines, that helped us a lot.

I agree, this is at least the third thread today that I have read here that is bashing children on cruises. I am bringing my teenage son on our cruise in June. Yes he is 16 but don't judge him until you have met him. Not every teenager out there is going to cause trouble just like not every baby out there is going to cry at dinner. I was much happier with the 2 yr old little gentleman that sat at the table beside us on our last cruise than I was with the whiny old complainer that didn't like anything that sat at our table. To the OP, have a wonderful cruise with your child, we traveled all the time with our son when he was young and continue to do so now. If you do use an unbrella stroller, see if you can get one that reclines, that helped us a lot.

Thank God that the CC attitude doesn't carry over to the actual cruise huh? ;)

And amazing that the SAME question was asked on the Carnival board today with a VERY different response. How come they aren't bashing the OP?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=536206

I am so glad that I started my kids cruising at 8 months and 20 months BEFORE I joined CC. My 2 year old is booked on her 4th cruise, my 7 year old her 5th. :D

We used one of these when DD was 7 months old. A child closer to 1 yr old may still love it. Not sure about it if he is closer to 2 yrs old. A bonus - we also used it to give her a bath.

tyler_baby_pool_chewing_icon.jpg

OMG your daughter is sooooo adorable I can't stand it!

Personally, I value differences in opinions, on occasion it has caused me to re-think an issue or decision, it keeps me balanced. After all isn't this is what this forum is about; asking questions and giving opinions? I agree that roadnuts initial reaction was harsh, but I think the point about the intensity of the sun and the loud noises were sincere. People with and without children will almost always differ in opinion.

You will have a wonderful cruise. There is nothing like the first time. I am the mother of 5 ranging in ages of 2 - 19 years old, and have been cruising with my children since they were infants. No one should look negatively upon your baby (crying or laughing), nor should anyone be concerned about your stroller. As for the great outdoors, as a mother I am sure you will protect your child accordingly. I think a 1 year old will be as welcome as a 90 year old who also suffers from transportation, disposition and weather issues.

RCCL is know as a family cruise line..those who cannot tolerate children on their vacation should look elsewhere.

Don't be discouraged...some people just can't help themselves.

Have a great "first time"...there's nothing like it!

Hey there!

I'm a first time cruiser and I'll be going on the Monarch of the Seas to Mexico on May 28-June 1st. I'll be traveling w/ my family and my 1 year old son (total of 7 people).

I've read most of the articles but would love to know any tips or tricks you might have for a first-time cruiser or for RCI.

Thanks so much!!

I'll start by letting you know that we've never cruised with such a young child. (DH and I didn't start cruising until our DD was all grown up, poor baby--we were such abusive parents.;) ) And I'll further let you know that we cruise when there are likely to be fewer kids onboard because we've raised ours and simply don't care to be around the number of kids onboard during school breaks and so forth.

Now, let me tell you that we firmly believe that cruising is a great vacation for the whole family. While it's fine for you to heed those who say that cruising with an infant can be "difficult" or exhausting (I've seen many parents do this, so I can confirm that it does look like a lot of work), feel free to ignore those who tell you to "leave the child at home" or that "infants don't belong on cruises." This is your family and your choice, and I hope you have a wonderful time.:)

If I may offer some advice based on observations and past experiences of traveling with our DD when she was little?

Neccessities: Bring everything your youngster will need for the cruise: diapers and the associated accessories such as wipes; baby food and teething crackers; box juices; baby Tylenol; something for upset tummy; and so forth. Bring more clothes than you think you need or be prepared to wash things out in the sink or send them to the laundry. Lordy, but kids can go through the clothes on vacation. Some things are not available on the ship, and those which are can be extremely expensive.

Food/drink: If you're nursing (sorry, are you mom or dad?), no worries. If your son is on formula, be prepared to bring or buy bottled water. The drinking water on the ship is very good. In fact, DH and I are pretty picky and we like it just fine. But, that's one of the things that can upset a young tummy because it's different from the water at home. If he's on solids and doing well with them, let your waiters know right away. They can often arrange with the chef's staff to have simple foods pureed for the baby, such as veggies, fruits, and starches. The crew usually will bend over backward to make your cruise nice. Many of them have kids, nieces, or nephews at home whom they miss, so they enjoy getting a "kid fix" on the ship.:)

Cabin facilities and cabin steward: You can arrange for a pack-n-play in the room, but everyone who has had one says that they wipe it down themselves (just to make sure it's thoroughly clean) and they usually bring their own sheets and at least one blankie. This serves two purposes. First, it gives your son familiar items in bed and, second, you know for sure that the sheets are absolutely clean (not that ship's ones aren't, but babies immune systems are still developing). Some parents want to know if they have to pay the full recommended tips (or any at all) for little ones. The answer is yes because a baby creates just as much work for the steward as an adult. If you have any special needs, let your steward know on the first day. Again, they usually go out of their way to make the cruise fun for the whole family. If you are in a cabin that only has a shower, you have a couple of options. Some babies don't mind being held by mom or dad and being bathed in the shower. For those who aren't ready for that, there are inflatible mini-bathtubs available in many stores. Several of the parents on the forums here swear by them. The tub can also be used with cool water if your son gets overheated.

Stroller: A stroller is fine, but please bring an umbrella stroller and be prepared to leave it outside the dining room, theater and so forth (or in a specially designated area). Full size strollers do create a real traffic issue because the passageways are fairly narrow, as are some of the other spaces.

Dining room/public areas etiquette: Sure, we do not want to listen to a screaming baby for 2 hours during dinner. However, there's no reason not to bring the baby to the dining room. If he starts fussing or crying and you can't calm him there, then one of you should take him out of the dining room out of respect for your fellow cruisers. (This advice applies pretty much to all public areas of the ship. And I'm sure is no different than what you do at home when you're in public.)

Pools: Non-potty trained children are not allowed in any of the pools. No exceptions. When he's older he can enjoy the pools. Do be very careful of the sun. It's pretty fierce. There is plenty of shade available outdoors on the decks, but you should definitely bring hats and baby sunscreen.

Children's program/babysitting: I'm sure you know that children must be 3 years old and fully potty trained to be enrolled in Adventure Ocean. However, they do have Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots programs (in conjunction with Fisher-Price), which are 45 minute (or so) sessions where the little ones can come and play with toys, as well as interact. A parent (or other adult) must remain with the child. In addition, there are babysitting services available on board (I'm not sure if it's only in the evening) for children who are at least 1 year old. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that, but many of our members here have reported excellent experiences with it. It's completely up to you and your comfort level (that is if all the adults want to have an evening out). Otherwise, because you've got plenty of family going on the cruise with you, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding help onboard. I suggest you arrange for one night to have one of your relatives watch your son so that mom and dad can have a nice adult time out together--remind yourself that you deserve it and you are not a bad parent for wanting some grown up time; in fact, I believe that it's important for parents not to become just parents. It doesn't mean you don't love your son or want to be with him, it just means that you realize that you also need time with your spouse to keep your relationship strong and your family healthy.

Other play time: If he's walking, he'll no doubt need to burn off some energy from time to time. Sometimes there are rooms or lounges which are pretty deserted during the day. Many parents will take a youngster into one of them and let him/her just run around for a bit. As long as you're not raising a ruckus, I don't see why this wouldn't work very well indeed. You might want to bring a couple of "active" toys for this very purpose (you know, something wheeled or that moves).

Casino and bars: No children are allowed in the casino, except to walk through it to get from point A to point B. This includes no babies in strollers next to a parent who is playing in the casino. Although babies are not banned from the bars, they really aren't appropriate places for children in the late evening. Some parents bring their kids in late at night, drape them into a lounge, and then leave them to go up to the bar and drink. Amazing! If you all want to go to a lounge/bar together, no problem as long as you follow the usual rules of etiquette. Adults do expect that the bars and lounges will be for adults in the late evening. This is, IMO, reasonable. There are so many places onboard that are for everyone (or for kids) that adults expect that the few adults only areas will be respected as such.

Schedule and unfamiliar surroundings: Will this be your first time overnight away from home with your son? If so, you might want to try an overnight (say, to a friend's or relative's home) as a "trial run" and to get your son used to staying in unfamiliar places. Be prepared to be flexible because travel can really mess with a child's internal "schedule." Plan rest time (for mom and dad too). You know how cranky kids can get when their schedule is off. Be sure to bring a number of favorite toys, especially a cuddly one for the bed. It really helps to have those familiar and comforting items. Watch out for intestinal upsets (and you know what I mean...) because of different food and environment, as well as possible sea-sickness. He may do beautifully and have no sea-sickness at all (and I hope that's what happens), but it's best to be prepared in case he does get queasy.

Other passengers: I think you will find that most other passengers will either be delighted to see your whole family together or not care one way or the other as long as you are considerate of others. Sure, there will probably be some who look at your son and think, "Oh no! Not another little rug rat." But they aren't the majority. Most of us are parents who only expect that if your son starts screaming that one of you will take him back to the cabin to help him calm down. We all know babies fuss--that's a given. It's only an issue when parents ignore it and expect the rest of the passengers to put up with it. It's important to realize that not everyone will find your son's little quirks as charming as you do. (I'm sure the same is true for all parents and their children, except of course our DD, who was perfect when she was little--not.);)

That's all I can think of right now (as if my little novel isn't more than you ever wanted to know). You might want to go over to the family forum here on CC also. They're sure to have great tips and advice for you.

As for me, I hope you all have a fantastic time and that you treasure the wonderful memories.:D

beachchick

What great advise beachchick!

I would add, be prepared to follow a normal nap schedule to some extent, unless your child is quite flexible. When I traveled and my kids were very small, that helped there whole day!

Have a wonderful famiy vacation!

Archived