I still need help in Nassau

Chicagomom

I've read through tons of posts and found lots of helpful information, but I still need help.

We're a group of 10-12 family members (no young children) going to Nassau in October 2007. We have a number of older people and out of shape people, so we don't want to do anything strenuous, and we're not beach people.

When we went to Ocho Riso a few years ago this board led us to some great independent people who gave us a fantastic tour of the city, took us to all the places we wanted to see, and did a fantastic job for a reasonable price. I'm looking for the same sort of thing in Nassau and drawing a blank. I've heard those people exist, but they seem to be at the port just waiting for someone to show up, and we want things arranged in advance.

I checked with the people who do the semi sub ride (we would like to do that), and they offered an extended tour of the city, but priced it above what the cruise ship offers for the same tour. Now I do know it is worth having a private tour rather than a group (mass) tour, but since the cruise lines charge a premium, I would think that would cost more than a private tour.

Can anyone help me? We're hoping to see many of the sites listed in the walking tour--Fort Fincastle, possibly Fort Charlotte, the government buildings, Ardastra Gardens and Zoo, possibly the Nassau Botanic Gardens, possibly the Pirates of Nassau, the Queen's Staircase, the Staw Market--and the Seaworld Explorer semi sub ride.

I don't mind making this up myself if I have to (using the #10 bus etc.), but it would a lot less stressful for me if we could just get a group tour through an independent.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.

P.S. At the moment, they only show our ship and one other in port that day, so hopefully it won't be overcrowded.

Scubagirl will probably have some good suggestions but you may also want to check www.shoretrips.com. They have a couple of city tours listed under "Group Trips". I've never booked through them myself but I've seen posts by others who have and I don't recall ever reading anything negative. I may book our Jamaica excursion through them for our cruise in December.

I've read through tons of posts and found lots of helpful information, but I still need help.

We're a group of 10-12 family members (no young children) going to Nassau in October 2007. We have a number of older people and out of shape people, so we don't want to do anything strenuous, and we're not beach people.

When we went to Ocho Riso a few years ago this board led us to some great independent people who gave us a fantastic tour of the city, took us to all the places we wanted to see, and did a fantastic job for a reasonable price. I'm looking for the same sort of thing in Nassau and drawing a blank. I've heard those people exist, but they seem to be at the port just waiting for someone to show up, and we want things arranged in advance.

I checked with the people who do the semi sub ride (we would like to do that), and they offered an extended tour of the city, but priced it above what the cruise ship offers for the same tour. Now I do know it is worth having a private tour rather than a group (mass) tour, but since the cruise lines charge a premium, I would think that would cost more than a private tour.

Can anyone help me? We're hoping to see many of the sites listed in the walking tour--Fort Fincastle, possibly Fort Charlotte, the government buildings, Ardastra Gardens and Zoo, possibly the Nassau Botanic Gardens, possibly the Pirates of Nassau, the Queen's Staircase, the Staw Market--and the Seaworld Explorer semi sub ride.

I don't mind making this up myself if I have to (using the #10 bus etc.), but it would a lot less stressful for me if we could just get a group tour through an independent.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.

P.S. At the moment, they only show our ship and one other in port that day, so hopefully it won't be overcrowded.

Most of these things are in the same general area.. Even the botanical Gardens, Fort Charlotte and Ardastra Gardens are almost across the street from one another. But this is a lot of walking for people who are out of shape.

Fort Fincastle is on top of the hill overlooking the city. Not an easy walk.. for sure. You may have to take a cab up that way, then walk back down. Government house and the Pirates Museum are at the base of the hill.

What's your timeline. Most everything you mention closed at 5. including the tours. Check your timeline for the sub.. and work around it.

Thanks Jeanne. I've checked out shore trips and that looks like a possiblity.

For your Jamaica trip, you might want to try A-Z Jamaica Planners. We used them in 2003 and they were fantastic. Just from looking at the prices on Shore Trips site, I would say A-Z might give you a better deal. If Oscar is still one of their tour guides, ask for him. He's the best.

Scuba Girl, we'll be in port from 8 a.m. to midnight on October 2, but I am only planning the semi sub ride and the city tour. That should leave people plenty of time if they want to go over to Atlantis just to look around on their own. We will also probably go back to the ship for dinner and possibly lunch depending on where we are when it's lunch time. And, of course, we will all want to do some shopping!

Where are the best conch fritters? We will want to try those before we leave.

A couple more questions--Is the Botanic gardens worth the time? What about the Pirates of Nassau? Is there any true historical content or is it just swashbuckling for effect?

If we do this on our own, will the #10 bus take us to all the places we want to go, or will we need other buses or other forms of transportation?

Thanks so much for your help!

And, of course, we will all want to do some shopping!

What about the Pirates of Nassau? Is there any true historical content or is it just swashbuckling for effect?

If we do this on our own, will the #10 bus take us to all the places we want to go, or will we need other buses or other forms of transportation?

!

1)Remember, that anyone who wants to shop, they need to do so between 9-10AM and 5-6PM when everything closes, except Senor Frogs and the expensive Galleria shops (Versace, etc.) at Atlantis.

2)I'm a Pirate nut who watches every Pirate show on Discovery and the History channel and loves reading every book I can find.

I was extremely unimpressed. ( too pricey for the little the museum had to offer)

But it is only a block or so from the pier near the British Colonial Hilton, just past the stores on Bay Street for those who want to check it out anyway.

3)The #10 Jitney will take you west right to Cable Beach and pass near Ardastra Gardens and Zoo and Fort Charlotte. (but it is a few blocks walk from the stop there)

It will NOT get you to Atlantis or anywhere on Paradise Island.

It is either Cab or Water Taxi (during the day) to get there.

Bill

For your Jamaica trip, you might want to try A-Z Jamaica Planners. We used them in 2003 and they were fantastic. Just from looking at the prices on Shore Trips site, I would say A-Z might give you a better deal. If Oscar is still one of their tour guides, ask for him. He's the best.

Thanks, I'll check them out!! ;) I'm looking specifically for someone who offers the canopy tour.

#10 jitney,does it take you to atlantis? this is what i was thinking.... goin to a beach, early and back to the ship grab some grub. and then drees for evening dinner but go back to atlantis for a few yrs before dinner (late). what beach don't want to pay to walk on beach, we have goin to the one on the side of atlantis a few times any where else?????:rolleyes:

Archived