Does it cost extra to rent equipment on cruise-booked excursion?

jacromer

Hi,

My wife and I are cruising next week and just recently added a snorkeling excursion (through Carnival) in Freeport.

I have a question though. Even though the excursion has been paid for, does it cost extra to rent equipment? We're bringing our own mask and snorkel, but we don't own fins or suits. We would like to use fins; and are suits required/recommended?

Just wondering if somehow I have to bring some extra money to pay for these or if they are included.

--------

Also, I plan on taking some underwater photos. To help bring some fish my way, would it be frowned upon to bring some cereal or hotdog bits to lure some fish my way for a nice photo-shot? Or is "fish food" provided?

Thank you greatly for any and all help to these questions. :)

-Jason

Most snorkeling excursions will include gears. That should include mask, fin, snorkel, and life vests. Unless it's in colder water, wetsuits or skins are never included. For those needing wetsuit, some ops would rent them if they have them. For most Caribbean locations, wetsuit is usually not needed for snorkeling. But if you want to be sure, ask Carnival to get the answer for you.

My wife and friends had used 3mm wetsuit for snorkeling before (in colder water) They are not good swimmers. After the experience of using wetsuit, they now bought their own and bring to trips. The extra float provided by the wetsuit makes them feel that much more comfortable, knowing they will not sink. It also protects from jelly fish stings. I'm a diver, so I always bring my 3mm full suit. I and my friends get cold easily, so the wetsuit helps. For some people who don't get cold easily, a wetsuit is not necessary.

As for feeding the fish, it is usually not recommended, although some ops do that to attract fish. By feeding the fish, they become accustomed to those "unnatural" food, become lazy and if overdone they lose the natural ability to get their own food.

Archived