Ecstasy-Only Thread! Ask questions and post info. here!

pbeachbum

Let's have thread with Ecstasy only questions, and that way everyone with a question about the Ecstasy, can go straight to this thread, without searching lots of other threads! If you have photos and recent Capers, please post them! Thanks!

Hubby & I (both mid 40's no kids) booked this for our first ever cruise. Would love experienced cruisers insight, tips etc.

We were just going to go to the beach in Progresso last August.

First we rode the incredibly hot bus of stench down the pier and walked down the beach.

This is an ok beach, but we really didn't feel comfortable there and went back to the dock.

We got a taxi (inexpensive...there were 9 of us and the fare was $60 both ways and the guy waited for us...and it was air conditioned) and went to the ruins at Dzibilchaltun. I don't remember the entry fee, but I think it was about $6 and hired a guide who was really excellent and was $12. The temple there was reconstructed by National Geographic years ago, so they let you climb and explore. When we went down to the cenote the guide gave several of us mayan names. My daughter was dubbed "White Flower of the Water" and the four year old was "Little Butterfly". It was fun.

We like history and wished we had more time there. If we had gone straight there we would have had time to go to the museum, which we had to skip.

Our party was made up of people from 50 to 4 and everyone had fun. There are some wonderful places there to take pictures there too.

And during the tour I got more tan than I would have laying out on the beach.

http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-dzibilchaltun.htm

Oh...the ride to Dzibilchaltun was interesting too. Seeing where people actually live.

So, we were initially not pleased with the port, it became our favorite.

One thing I liked about Progresso is that the people seem like real people...not like the pushy "hard" sales people I experienced in Coz. These people know that they are selling junk and and have the grace to look a bit embarassed by the whole thing.

I love the Ecstasy, been on her three times!! Really happy with the ship after the drydock changes - tv's, new bedding, new decor. I too hope the propulsion system is finally fixed! In Sept. we were taken to Progreso instead of Cozumel, received $50 OBC though so that was cool. Seems like this past week they finally held her a day or two to get it corrected instead of a quick "patch up".

Ecstasy is a midsize ship. There were mostly family with kids with a mix of honeymooners, and 60's and over. There seems to be a large percentage of first time cruisers on the ship. The cruise director was Goose, he was young and energetic with pleasant voice. The food at the buffet was nothing to brag about . The dinning room staffs was exceptional , they went out of their way to make our meals very enjoyable ( our head waiter was Nick from the Philippines ) Our cabin was E 156 , nice comfy bed and flat screen tv, the ocean view was great. Our cabin stewart I think was hidding under our bed. Everytime we left, our room was cleaned and our bed was made. He was great!!! We felt more motion on this ship than we did the larger ship The Conquest. I enjoyed the sushi at the promanade before dinner. I have pics posted on webshots.

".....We got a taxi (inexpensive...there were 9 of us and the fare was $60 both ways and the guy waited for us...and it was air conditioned) and went to the ruins at Dzibilchaltun......"

Mzloolue----thanks for the great review of Dzibilchaltun!!! We're going on our first cruise September 22 and my husband's only request is to see a ruin (and we don't want to spend so much time on a bus going to the bigger ruins.) D. sounds just right for us:)

great info, keep it coming!! We are going June 11 and can't wait!! love to read all the info people provide who just went, so I will be sure to post our review after we get back too!! 46 more days !!!!

We will be on the same ship..... cant wait. This will be our first and I am also interested in anything you more seasoned vets have to say.

THX

to alwaysbroke--

glad to know someone else who is going!!! This will be our second cruise but our friends who are also going with us are cruise newbies!! their excitement

just make us even more anxious to go!!!! We'll be the group of 4 texans having too much fun!! see ya in june!!!

We are from FTW, too (NRH) and will be waving as you get off and we get on. In the past we have done the Merida shopping tour (great!) and took the free bus from the dock to the market place for shopping but am thinking of doing the Uxmal ruins this time. Looking forward to the Ecstasy! :D TG23

Good....a thread just for Ecstasy...now maybe I can get my question answered by someone who just returned....if Carnival says the ship docks in Cozumel at 9:00 a.m., what time is it in COZUMEL?? Mexico does not observe daylight savings time, right? So does it really dock at 8:00 a.m. local time (Cozumel time)....please help!! I have a van with driver picking us up and now I'm afraid I having them coming later than necessary. Thanks for any help on this subject!! Sailing on May 5 with my family to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday!!

Good....a thread just for Ecstasy...now maybe I can get my question answered by someone who just returned....if Carnival says the ship docks in Cozumel at 9:00 a.m., what time is it in COZUMEL?? Mexico does not observe daylight savings time, right? So does it really dock at 8:00 a.m. local time (Cozumel time)....please help!! I have a van with driver picking us up and now I'm afraid I having them coming later than necessary. Thanks for any help on this subject!! Sailing on May 5 with my family to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday!!

Fiesta Time!!!

DW and I were on the Ecstasy in October and had a great time. We went to the ruins at Dzibilchaltun and it was a great excursion for us. The museum is well worth the time it takes to see it. We had great guides and it was extremely interesting. In Cozumel we went shopping. Should have taken an excursion. DW had way too much fun in the stores.

Feel free to read my full review in CC and also to view our pics.

In October, Cozumel was on the same time as the ship, Central Standard Time. I don't know if they observe Daylight Savings Time or not.

p

Mexico does not observe daylight savings time, right? So does it really dock at 8:00 a.m. local time (Cozumel time)....please help!! I have a van with driver picking us up and now I'm afraid I having them coming later than necessary. Thanks for any help on this subject!! Sailing on May 5 with my family to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday!!

They do observe Daylight Savings Time, so ship time will be the same as Cozumel time. :) My MIL will be on the same sailing as you with her sister, and DH and I get on when you guys get off. Please return the ship in one piece!! ;)

This'll be my first trip on the Ecstasy, and I can't wait! I love going on all the different ships. Be happy to search for answers to any questions while I'm on board.

They do observe DST but they didn't spring forward early like in the US.

An Aggie AND an Astros fan....a woman after my own heart....woo hoo...and gig 'em! This will be our second time on the Ecstasy, first since the refurbishing....can't wait.....she's a grand ship and loads of fun!! Tell your MIL we will be the table of eight celebrating TWO birthdays at dinner two nights in a row....have fun on your cruise!!

Barb

Archived