All Things Mariner Of The Seas

What a great thread as my friends just emailed me last night to see if we would be interested in booking the Mariner for next February. I have never sailed on any of the Explorer class - but I am a pro at their smaller and older ships. I have sailed on Carnival's panamax ships - never again, and all of the Princess 'beasts' and loved them. (They get better with each one IMHO.)

Since the Mariner appears to be the newest of the Explorer class I am guessing they also improved each time they built a new one so she's the best of the lot so-to-speak. I had no idea she was going into dry dock soon. That can only make her better. I have sailed on the Sovereign both before and after dry-dock and the difference is unbelievable.

I do have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. If we book this cruise we will probably book a junior suite - had one on Sovereign and got pretty spoiled, and I am a diamond C&A member. Does the Mariner have a diamond club or concierge club that we will be able to use - either because it's a JS or from my diamond status? I have yet to sail on a Royal Caribbean cruise that offers either; like I said, I seem to take the older RCCL ships and they don't have them. I think it might be a nice place to go to relax in the afternoon for a drink and, from what I understand, you can get tickets to the ice show there without having to wait in a giant line at 8:00am. We will eat in both specialty restaurants but I have no problem making my own reservations for them when we board.

Thank you for any help or info you can offer. Please keep up all this Mariner fun - it makes me want to take this cruise even more.

I just booked my first RC cruise on the Mariner (4/13/08) after 5 trips on carnival. Can you guys help set my expectations? We have 4 cat E2 cabins (for my family). What should i tell my group about since Royal is new to us.

thanks

-tom

rdbradleyjr

MY husband has most of his hair, but it's all grey now and he's only 42! He doesn't care though, because all his brothers are bald. He's got something, they got nothing! He grew up with 3 sisters, so the whole house full of girls doesn't faze him at all. He's great about everything. He knows when to hideout in the basement because things are too hormonal. :) His DD (17 yr old) lives with her mom, which is in another state, but he still hears all the teenage things going on with her. The 3 girls get along great too. The cruise is their "sister bonding" time. We have to go over Christmas because none of their other school breaks coincide and we won't pull them out of school. Can't wait until we can take a cheaper cruise during a different time of the year. Then we'll be able to take 2 a year.

You'll do fine with 2 teenagers. You sound like you already know what you're getting into, which is a huge plus!

I'll think about the proposal. My DH got down on one knee while all us girls were sitting on the couch and gave us all a ring box. The girls didn't quite get that mine was real right away. It was cute. He had talked to all of them previously about it being ok if we did become a family, so he had their approval before he did it. They didn't know when it was coming though. It still makes me smile when I think about it.

Yes...hormonal..I've learned it well. I can tell when Aunt Flow is in town because all the chocolate in the house suddenly dissapears and no one comes out of thier rooms. The good news is....it's all at the same time...the bad....it's one heck of a week!! You know I didn't even think of that before booking the cruise! Thank god it's not then....my god... someone would end up overboard!! Probably me!!:D

Barbara- yes they do have the concierge club on the Mariner, it's on deck 9. This will be our first Diamond cruise, so we are looking forward to that perk.

This will be our first cruise on the Mariner and I'm really looking forward to it. I've read such great things about her. We've been on the Explorer and that was a nice change from the Vision class ships. Love the Radiance class ships too...especially the aft cabins!

We're in two interior rooms next to each other on deck 8. We're trying for across the hall from the girls, but nothing so far that is close to their inside. We had a balcony last year and loved it, but if it's a matter of going or not going, my DH and I will take an inside room too. Oh, the sacrifices we make.

Will this ship have more families than the Radiance? The girls are hoping for more kids this year. They had a lot of fun, but there didn't seem to be a lot of kids their age. The staff actually had the 12-14 age group with the 15-17 age group for the teen stuff at night on the Radiance.

rdbradleyjr - How cool! I thin it is awesome that you will propose to her and her children! Maybe you could give the rings to the waiter at one of the specialty restaurants and have them bring them out during desert on a tray full of rose petals with the rings on top!

lawman - I read you stayed in GS last time you sailed on the Mariner. DH and I are in GS in August to celebrate 30th Anniversary. How was it, did it have a flatscreen tv, did you hear the noise from the pool area right above? We notice that there is an overhang from the pool deck over our balcony. Did your GS have one also and did it effect the sunshine coming in your cabin during the day.

Net

This is a lot of first for me too!

First time on RCL

First time on Mariner

First vacation with my GF and two kids

First time trying to be a parental unit to two teenage girls! (thus the balding and greying at 35)

First time Staci has been out of the U.S.

First time I've given my heart totally to 3 ladies yet alone 1!

With this being said...I am looking for proposal Ideas. So I am asking you...the CC members to help me out. What proposal ideas do you have. Keep in mind I have 3 rings..one for her and her two daughters. Ages are 41, 14, and 17. Lets hear them!!

When we sailed on the Rhapsody in January, a couple got engaged with the help of the cruise director. Right before one of the main seating's shows, the cruise director got up on stage (as he normally did prior to a show's start), asked the audience how their day at sea was, dinner was, etc. He then said that he had to announce the name of "The Champagne Raffle" winner, which brought the lady up on stage. He started to talk with her, asking her name, where she was from, if she was crusing with anyone, how she liked the cruise so far, etc. He then asked for one of his assistants to come out with the prize, and it was the guy in a white tux, who immediately got down on one knee and proposed. She said "yes" and everyone applauded for the newly-engaged couple. The cruise director then announced there was no such thing as "The Champagne Raffle" on Royal Carribean, and everyone laughed.

You could do a variation of the above, having the cruise director bring one of the girls on stage as the winner of a Kids Club raffle. He/she could then invite the other girl and mom on stage, talk to them for a little bit, then ask for one of his/her assistants to come out with the raffle prize, cueing you to do your thing.

I would try and talk with your cruise director prior to your cruise, but if you can't, immediately after you board. The sky's the limit on how you can make this a very unique proposal.

hey Ron....sorry to post this here, but did you see this on my roll call???? just curious. I thought it was out of line and let her know. I hold no hard feelings, but we are all just trying to have a nice time pre-cruise and Ithink she took you way out of context. You were just goofing around.

this is the quote to you....

rdbradleyjr~ Please don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming you, but I do believe our little group thread had style before you came. We may not be into the "spirits" as much as some, but we post to this thread as a way to get to know each other before our much anticipated cruise.

When I started posting to this thread my hopes were that we all would be able to enjoy our "cruise experience" BEFORE we actually cruise. What I'm trying to say is that our group is more than just your ordinary "chat room" thread experience. And in 34 weeks we will be on the cruise of a lifetime. Meeting an excellent group of people!

The Cape Liberty Explorers

end quote

too serious for me....all we were talking about was moose slippers...

hey Ron....sorry to post this here, but did you see this on my roll call???? just curious. I thought it was out of line and let her know. I hold no hard feelings, but we are all just trying to have a nice time pre-cruise and Ithink she took you way out of context. You were just goofing around.

this is the quote to you....

rdbradleyjr~ Please don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming you, but I do believe our little group thread had style before you came. We may not be into the "spirits" as much as some, but we post to this thread as a way to get to know each other before our much anticipated cruise.

When I started posting to this thread my hopes were that we all would be able to enjoy our "cruise experience" BEFORE we actually cruise. What I'm trying to say is that our group is more than just your ordinary "chat room" thread experience. And in 34 weeks we will be on the cruise of a lifetime. Meeting an excellent group of people!

The Cape Liberty Explorers

end quote

too serious for me....all we were talking about was moose slippers...

Oh I am sooo sorry Erin!!! I will stay away from your roll call I promise!! I did not mean to offend anyone in any way. I sincerely apologize to you. :(

When we sailed on the Rhapsody in January, a couple got engaged with the help of the cruise director. Right before one of the main seating's shows, the cruise director got up on stage (as he normally did prior to a show's start), asked the audience how their day at sea was, dinner was, etc. He then said that he had to announce the name of "The Champagne Raffle" winner, which brought the lady up on stage. He started to talk with her, asking her name, where she was from, if she was crusing with anyone, how she liked the cruise so far, etc. He then asked for one of his assistants to come out with the prize, and it was the guy in a white tux, who immediately got down on one knee and proposed. She said "yes" and everyone applauded for the newly-engaged couple. The cruise director then announced there was no such thing as "The Champagne Raffle" on Royal Carribean, and everyone laughed.

You could do a variation of the above, having the cruise director bring one of the girls on stage as the winner of a Kids Club raffle. He/she could then invite the other girl and mom on stage, talk to them for a little bit, then ask for one of his/her assistants to come out with the raffle prize, cueing you to do your thing.

I would try and talk with your cruise director prior to your cruise, but if you can't, immediately after you board. The sky's the limit on how you can make this a very unique proposal.

How does one get in touch with the cruise director prior to a cruise??

Ron...you didnt offend me at all....I am still in shock that it wasnt comprehended the way you intended and that you were just having some fun...i hope i have fun on this cruise, it should be interesting...I am sorry that you were treated that way and although she said it wasnt a flame, I can still smell the smoke from where i am sitting.....please dont feel the need to stop popping in but i would also understand if you didnt want to deal with that...I am unsure if I want to even post there anymore....

erin

PS by the way, I love the post...makes me wish we were still sailing with you...

lawman - I read you stayed in GS last time you sailed on the Mariner. DH and I are in GS in August to celebrate 30th Anniversary. How was it, did it have a flatscreen tv, did you hear the noise from the pool area right above? We notice that there is an overhang from the pool deck over our balcony. Did your GS have one also and did it effect the sunshine coming in your cabin during the day.

The GS was awesome. We were in 1550. No flatscreen TV at that time there's talk that they will after Drydock. Didn't hear any noise at all. At least not that I noticed. There is an overhang over the balcony that did limit the sun from coming in at times. But then it depends on where the sun is and the direction of the ship. Remember, there's no chair hogs on your balcony. Ahhhhhh......so peaceful.

Ron...you didnt offend me at all....I am still in shock that it wasnt comprehended the way you intended and that you were just having some fun...i hope i have fun on this cruise, it should be interesting...I am sorry that you were treated that way and although she said it wasnt a flame, I can still smell the smoke from where i am sitting.....please dont feel the need to stop popping in but i would also understand if you didnt want to deal with that...I am unsure if I want to even post there anymore....

erin

PS by the way, I love the post...makes me wish we were still sailing with you...

Hey Erin,

I just made my last post over there and apologized. I will stay away from your roll call. They are right. It should be a time for you to get to know fellow passengers. I was just trying to have a little fun and keep in touch with a new friend. You can post on our roll call anytime, I am sure the group would love to hear from you.:D I'm still having a hard time wondering how someone could read so much into that post, but everyone has thier own opinion and I can respect that!! I wish you all were sailing with us too!!! Leigh left us today!:(

I owe everything about cruising to my beautiful,smart and loving wife. For withour her, I would still be on solid land snickering at those " whacky cruisers".

Yes !!!! I was one of those. I can admit that now. AHHHHHH !!!! Feels good to be free :p

For years, my DW would try and ask ever so sweetly if we could go on a cruise. "Why in the world would I want to be stuck on a ship with 3000 other people. I see enough people as it is. I would go insane." ( hindsight, i realize what a dumbass i was ).

Now im staring into my darlings baby blues and i can see the want in her eyes. " Honey, I really think that you would enjoy the cruise, if you would just try it"

How could I resist her. ...... I cave. Its booked and we decide to make this our 10th anniversay cruise. Deck 10, Balcony, Flowers and all the trimmings :D . She is sooo excited and im nervous.

Countdown!!!!! 7 days to go. Now im getting butterflys in my stomach. " Oh man, im sooo gonna hate this".

I wish i could describe for you all the feeling that hit me when we drove to the port and i first lay my eyes on her. She is sooo gorgeous and massive. I could not say a word. Just more "OHHHH's" than anything.

Check in. " Deck 10 sir? This way please. We have a special line for deck 10 customers" I now look back at my DW and say " OH THIS IS SOOOO COOL" She smircks at me with that " I TOLD YOU SO" look.

Ever since that wonderful day all my time is now spent booking more cruises on her and spending way tooooo much time on CC.:p

I have an addiction. I can admit it. I can tell you everything anybody would want to know about The Mariner, RCCL,The Caribbean etc.... I LOVE CRUISIN !!!!:D I love my wife.

my family, 8 of us in all, will be on the mariner 8/12/07. all of us are 1st timers ourselves. four of us are teenagers (18,14,13,13) and they are so excited about this trip. after reading so many reviews here i feel like i know the ship and her crew so well. we have a balcony room for my wife and i, kids are in an inside state room across the hall and parents are in a promanade room down the hall. 3 months, 15 days, 9 hours and 20 minutes to go!!!

if anyone has had teens in the ocean adventure program, i would live to hear as much as possible about it. the three younger teens are all very different and so i hope they all find new friends and have a lot of fun there.

see you on the high seas.:D

lawman - Thanks so much! I am so glad to read about someone who has been in a GS. We only decided to splurge because 30th will only come once. What was your favorite thing about having a GS? Was the concierge service a big benefit for you?

We are so excited to be sailing on the Mariner, this will be our largest ship that we have ever sailed on. For those of you that have been on the Mariner, if you had an anniversary to celebrate, would you celebrate in Chops or Portofinos?

Hey Erin,

I just made my last post over there and apologized. I will stay away from your roll call. They are right. It should be a time for you to get to know fellow passengers. I was just trying to have a little fun and keep in touch with a new friend. You can post on our roll call anytime, I am sure the group would love to hear from you.:D I'm still having a hard time wondering how someone could read so much into that post, but everyone has thier own opinion and I can respect that!! I wish you all were sailing with us too!!! Leigh left us today!:(

hi Ron.

Sorry to take up this post but...

I am now officially sick to my stomache. I dont even want to go any more and it is all i have looked forward to for 8+ months....We are spending lots of money, in our terms and I am so upset that everything either of us (especially me, as far as my roll call seems to be stating) has said has been taking completely differently than we meant for it to be. I was simplly trying to have some fun and enjoy the anticipation of our future cruise. I am so sorry you have been drug into this and I meant to disrespect to anyone who may concieve it that way. All roll calls are different, some funny, some more serious and I guess I have just learned that if they are more serious, it is not ok to be funny or state that it is not that funny of a roll call. Lesson learned and again. I am not saying either way is good or bad....just different. Like 2 sides of a coin. Some prefer heads and some tails. anyway....

ps I dont think I am welcome there anymore anyway... :(

lawman - Thanks so much! I am so glad to read about someone who has been in a GS. We only decided to splurge because 30th will only come once. What was your favorite thing about having a GS? Was the concierge service a big benefit for you?

We are so excited to be sailing on the Mariner, this will be our largest ship that we have ever sailed on. For those of you that have been on the Mariner, if you had an anniversary to celebrate, would you celebrate in Chops or Portofinos?

It was our anniversary and Chops was it for us. Fabulous. The concierge lounge was nice but we didn't utilize it a whole lot. I didn't really care for the location. It's on the 9th deck in the middle of the ship with no windows. They have free booze from 5:30 - 8:30. If you have main seating for dinner like we did you you kind of miss out on that. Now if you have late seating you can go to dinner every night singingafter loading up on the free booze....LOL

You'll just love the roominess of the GS. And a real bathroom with a shower, tub, and double sink.

I just booked my first RC cruise on the Mariner (4/13/08) after 5 trips on carnival. Can you guys help set my expectations? We have 4 cat E2 cabins (for my family). What should i tell my group about since Royal is new to us.

thanks

-tom

Tom,

I've been on only 2 Carnival cruises a while back and probably not that line's best examples: Ecstasy and Fantasy. I know it's not wise to compare a ship that normally sails 3 or 4 days to one that sails for 7. The same goes for the population that normally cruises shorter vs. longer cruises. And you can't compare an older ship to a newer ship....etc. etc. Having said that, when I went aboard the Mariner for the first time, my jaw just dropped. I kept saying, "this is a SHIP?"

We have a teen son and our family is fairly active. We enjoy all the sports-type activities available aboard RCI cruise ships. My son even takes his own hockey skates (ice & roller!) for use aboard. Hubby and I enjoy the ShipShape program and we earn 'dollars' for participating in varied ShipShape activities. At the end of our cruise, each of us comes away with a T-shirt, towel, or visor when we cash in our ShipShape dollars.

I like the neutral tones and understated elegance aboard RCI and find this more appealing than the neon dazzle aboard those two CCL ships I mentioned above. Perhaps one day soon I will sail a larger and newer Carnival ship so I establish a more fair comparison.

Yes, RCI cruises are generally more expensive and I continue to price both Princess and Carnival before each and every booking because price does mean alot. We've had great luck with the teen program aboard the Mariner and found the teen program to be lacking on RCI's Radiance of the Seas. The Voyager and Freedom class mega-ships are designed for all ages and pay special attention to the needs of children -- especially teens. That keeps us coming back. Princess groups the teens in a broad age range, RCI goes by 2 year increments. There is a load of difference between a 13 y/o and a 17 y/o!

The differences will be striking for you since you are new to RCI, you can't help but compare to what you have come to know. You will find much that is similar and much that is different. I'm sure you will find some things that Carnival does better and vice-versa. My best advice is to not have specific expectations, for that can be a recipe for disappointment. Go with an open mind, relax, and enjoy. There will be something appealing for all ages in your group.

Any cruise is better than being at work!!:D

Have a wonderful cruise!

Tom,

I've been on only 2 Carnival cruises a while back and probably not that line's best examples: Ecstasy and Fantasy. I know it's not wise to compare a ship that normally sails 3 or 4 days to one that sails for 7. The same goes for the population that normally cruises shorter vs. longer cruises. And you can't compare an older ship to a newer ship....etc. etc. Having said that, when I went aboard the Mariner for the first time, my jaw just dropped. I kept saying, "this is a SHIP?"

We have a teen son and our family is fairly active. We enjoy all the sports-type activities available aboard RCI cruise ships. My son even takes his own hockey skates (ice & roller!) for use aboard. Hubby and I enjoy the ShipShape program and we earn 'dollars' for participating in varied ShipShape activities. At the end of our cruise, each of us comes away with a T-shirt, towel, or visor when we cash in our ShipShape dollars.

I like the neutral tones and understated elegance aboard RCI and find this more appealing than the neon dazzle aboard those two CCL ships I mentioned above. Perhaps one day soon I will sail a larger and newer Carnival ship so I establish a more fair comparison.

Yes, RCI cruises are generally more expensive and I continue to price both Princess and Carnival before each and every booking because price does mean alot. We've had great luck with the teen program aboard the Mariner and found the teen program to be lacking on RCI's Radiance of the Seas. The Voyager and Freedom class mega-ships are designed for all ages and pay special attention to the needs of children -- especially teens. That keeps us coming back. Princess groups the teens in a broad age range, RCI goes by 2 year increments. There is a load of difference between a 13 y/o and a 17 y/o!

The differences will be striking for you since you are new to RCI, you can't help but compare to what you have come to know. You will find much that is similar and much that is different. I'm sure you will find some things that Carnival does better and vice-versa. My best advice is to not have specific expectations, for that can be a recipe for disappointment. Go with an open mind, relax, and enjoy. There will be something appealing for all ages in your group.

Any cruise is better than being at work!!:D

Have a wonderful cruise!

So well put. You go girl!!

Wow I am suprised that this thread is going like it is! I was afraid when I started it that some of the "All things Explorer of The Seas" group may get offended.:p

Well already today this thread has helped me a lot. I love looking at all million of the pictures of the rooms and the ship. I can't wait to post the million I will take!!! Keep up the good work people!!!:D

Lowcountrygal:

Hey, your son sounds like my son, ice hockey AND roller hockey!! awesome.... we are loving the playoffs right now, we are HUGE ranger fans... : ) even though they lost last nite :(

We cruised on Explorer last year *our 1st cruise* and my hubby and son both brought their ice skates and rollerblades.... how cool is that to skate on a cruise ship!!! we had so much fun, we booked our 2nd cruise on the disney magic... never again.. while i love magic kingdom, rccl blows disney away *in my opinion*.

So its off on the mariner in july..... too bad you wont be joining us, we have "hockey and rccl" in common!! :D :D

Countrygal, we have only sailed 7 day cruises on newer Carnival ships, that said we liked some, did not like some. my kids 20,17,16,and 14 are all active and i thought they would find ample things to do on this ship (keeping my fingers crossed), hopfully my oldest 22 will be able to join us too (he is currently serving in the army, preparing to go to Iraq). We are really excited and cant wait to check out something different. WOO HOO!!!!!!!

Lowcountrygal:

Hey, your son sounds like my son, ice hockey AND roller hockey!! awesome.... we are loving the playoffs right now, we are HUGE ranger fans... : ) even though they lost last nite :(

We cruised on Explorer last year *our 1st cruise* and my hubby and son both brought their ice skates and rollerblades.... how cool is that to skate on a cruise ship!!! we had so much fun, we booked our 2nd cruise on the disney magic... never again.. while i love magic kingdom, rccl blows disney away *in my opinion*.

So its off on the mariner in july..... too bad you wont be joining us, we have "hockey and rccl" in common!! :D :D

My youngest daughter to be is 14 and big into soccer. Is thier a place to play soccer on the ship? :D

rdbradley:

thank you so much for starting this post.... i was on explorer last year and love the post by christie for my wonderful memories... now i look forward to seeing the posts on this thread ~ thanks again!!

hopefully some past cruisers can post some pics so we can see the beauty of the mariner....

when i was on explorer, i remember they had a b-ball court, not soccer. but perhaps if enough kids get together and the court is free they can get a soccer game going....

now if the kids could play ice hockey on the ice rink, that would be the ultimate for my son..... :)

Archived