Cruising with Cancer

MattOsprey

Hi all,

We are after some advice.

We want to book a cruise for October, we would like to take my 32 year old sister who has been diagnosod with a life expectancy of 2 years maximum, due to cervical cancer.

She will have finished the present course of chemotherapy, and should be ok.

That said we still need to be prepared for illness on board.

Can anyone suggest a cruise company that will allow her to sail, and bearing in mind we are brits, would there be any other implications.

Thanks as always for any advice.

Matt

you would want to purchase an insurance that covers medical evacuation and repatriation.

I have stage 4 endometriosis, if those ovarian cysts start popping and I'm having internal bleeding I will need a little extra assistance than a 3rd world country can offer.

This scenario has happened at home, though very rare...

but I think it's always wise to be prepared for the what if....

Have her medical history, meds she's been on, ones she's on with you.

Stock up extra on any needed meds as they may be hard to come by or if you have a delay in your return home

As my friend with Thyroid cancer always says...

Carpe diem!

All the major cruise lines have a small infirmary onboard, staffed by a doctor and containing a wide range of medical equipment, drugs, etc. (Although you should obviously bring all your own required meds LOL) Also, most cruise lines have a "Medical Department" that answers questions and sets up any unusal care requirements- your TA should be able to give you the number for that department (most only work M-F, 9-5). We had questions prior to our DCL and NCL cruises (nothing as serious as your's!), and both companies were helpful.

If the onboard medical staff is unable to care for you, you will be taken to the nearest land-hospital; depending on the severity, you may be airlifted off or the ship will divert course to drop you off. Depending on where you are, the nearest hospital may not be too great!

At this time, I suggest letting your TA find cruises that fit your time frame, interests, costs, etc; then contact each line's medical department to find out what needs to be done to accomodate your sister. Narrow down your final choice based on that. Also, I assume you'd want to stay near the UK? So a Baltic, or possibly Med cruise might be better than the Caribbean or Pacific cruises (plus Oct is hurricane time in the Caribbean and western Atlantic).

Once you book- get a very comprehensive Travel Insurance package right away- many policies exclude pre-existing conditions- read the small print. The cruise line's policy may not be the best for your needs.

Finally- I hope you do find a wonderful cruise and enjoy spending time with your sister- Make the most of all the time you have left together! Let us know what you've selected!

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice so far.

I should have made it clearer, but we are looking at Caribbean. We ourselves go this time of the year to the Caribbean and have had no weather probs. But I do wonder about local medical facilities.

Matt

THe Hospital in Grand Cayman is reported to be excellent. There is an accredited Hospital in St. Thomas with a cancer center also.The other Islands I am not so positive about. Puerto Rico also has a medical center where many folks from the Islands go for care.

Hope all goes well and your family has a wonderful and "care free" cruise.

B.

The only time a cruise line won't allow someone to cruise is if there's a mental deficiency, such as severe mental illness. That is clearly stated in their cruise contracts. Otherwise, they don't discriminate.

Your first concern will be medical insurance. Since this is a pre-existing condition, you need an insurance that waives pre-existing. I'm not sure how that's handled with a non-US citizen, but that's something you need to discuss with your TA. For US citizens, you must purchase the insurance no later than 10 to 14 days of making initial payment--yes, you can get a pre-existing waiver after that time, but it's much more expensive. I know that medical evacuation can cost upwards of $25,000 USD. And, I don't know if your medical insurance will pay for treatment outside the UK.

A second concern will be the long flights to the US. My cousin, who had just finished her second course of chemo, barely made the short flight for our cruise---she was feeling very ill on the plane.

A third concern will be the medical center on board the ship. From close personal experience, it's not at all good. I broke my foot after falling onto a tender, and the doctor had to take the xray three times before he got it right, and then he still messed up. Then, my mom fell and broke her hip on Celebrity Millennium and the care she received on the ship appalled the hospital staff at the Ft Lauderdale hospital she was airlifted to. They were, in a word, quite incompetent.

And finally, October is hurricane season in the Caribbean. You run the risk of having a cruise diverted, cancelled or delayed, plus the fact that the waters could be much rougher than normal.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

We have re-assessed and decided to go in April.

The flight is a problem, but we are trying to get a free upgrade sorted by my cousin who is a pilot for British Airways.

As for insurance, we have been told to expect around £1000 or 2000usd. Expensive but worth it.

It is great to hear that Grand Cayman has a good hospital, as this is a port we are keen on.

Please keep the replies coming. They are all welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

Hi Matt- Next April would probably be better for your sister since she'll have more time to recover from the chemo (to gain back her strength, etc). April can be lovely in the Caribbean- just try to avoid the infamous "Spring Break" cruises! (By booking a longer cruise and one from a less "party" line, you should be fine.) (For example, I see that your last cruise was on HAL- a great choice!). Here's the link to a "Spring Break" site- it only lists 2007 now, but check back before you book for 2008:

Click here: Spring Break 2007 College & University Dates

Anyway- here are some random medical thoughts (from my own family's experience): I suggest that she brings detailed medical info from her doctor. Also, I recommend that she type up a one page "summary" of her situation: treatments, medications- generic names too- and doses, insurance info, emergency numbers, etc. She should carry this with her at all times! (I fold it up and stick it in my DD's pocket!) Just in case she trips on the beach and breaks an ankle- in the confusion & rush to the hospital, you'll all be babbling idiots and forget half the important stuff! (No insult intended- just speaking from experience LOL- although it was DH's broken leg on a ski slope rather than an ankle on a beach.) I even made several copies of the one page summary so we each could carry one (neurotic Mom, here).

Also- she should discuss with her docs the "worst case scenarios" and consider what to do in each case. For instance, my 84 yr old widowed Dad travels extensively to areas that may not have the same medical facilities to which he's accustomed (Antarctica, China and Africa within the past year). He carries several "emergency" drugs with him- broad spectrum anti-biotics, anti-fungals, etc. Plus she'll need detailed directions about when and how to take them (although the ship's doc can help with this). Also, if she'll be on any routine drugs, talk to her pharmacist about how these drugs may impact her cruise: could they exacerbate sea sickness, will they make her more sensitive to the sun, etc?

I just realized my post was sounding very negative- I don't want to dissuade you from this cruise! But just make sure you're as prepared as you can be- and then sit back, realx and have a great cruise!

Matt:

In 1995, I had the most fabulous experience of taking my ailing father on his last cruise just three months before he died from colon cancer. My mother and I have memories that cherish to this day. In June, my daughters and I are taking my 80-year-old mother on a cruise - she too now has cancer and limited mobility. With that in mind, here are what I have found to be helpful.

1. GO! There is nothing like setting a goal for cancer patients to look forward to. Both of my parents' oncologists said go and enjoy, and don't worry about treatment. This will give her a real target to aim for.

2. Book a handicap/balcony room. Handicap rooms are larger (on Princess 395 sq. ft. verus 213 for an average balcony room). A handicap room will have safety bars in place to hold onto and the bathroom is quite a bit larger. The rooms are also located close to the elevators, which will mean less walking if she's feeling some fatigue.

We found having a balcony provides a great option for eating in when my father wasn't quite up for the dining room. How nice would it be for her to have room service and enjoy some of her meals on the balcony.

3. Reserve a wheelchair. Not knowing what her energy level will be, plan that she may need some assistance getting on and off the ship. That will reduce line wait times.

4. Medical information. Bring current records and presciption information with you. As others have noted, find out about medical facilities along the itinerary.

5. Cruise insurance. Lots of recommendations here to get it. Ditto.

You are a wonderful brother to be doing this for her. I hope it works out and you have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

R404 on the Caribbean Princess is a FANTASTIC suite.

The extra room and the huge, private, totally covered balcony will be much appreciated, especially if she doesn't feel like going on deck.

My sister died of breast cancer 2 weeks ago. We didn't get to go on a cruise with her. My advice - - don't wait.

My mum has breast cancer and has never once been told she cannot travel. But she hasn't done a cruise.

There are Insurance company's here in the UK that will insure your sister - I think one is Atlas Direct. The premium you quoted seems awfully high, but then I guess maybe they were thinking on evacuation from a smaller caribbean island.

Have you looked at UK Cruiselines?

Ocean Village do the Caribbean in the winter - 2 routes and their rooms are larger than other ships. Also it is not such a large ship that your sister may have difficulty getting around. The only downside for you may be that it is casual dining - but there are 2 'nicer' restaurants in addition to the usual ones. Oh, and you won't suffer from Spring Breakers either ;)

OV2 sails ex Barbados and you can do cruise and stay. OV1 is starting ex Jamaica, but at the moment it is cruise only.

Enjoy your cruise with your sister.

Matt

we went on RCL on a Make a Wish cruise last July and my son was still on Chemo as he was a make a wish kid the staff was wonderful and RCL partners with Make a wish as does Disney curise line

we will keep you in our prayers

Val

I did read yesterday on the home page of CC that some ships actually have heli-pads for medical evacs. as well as the capabilities to consult with two very good American Hospitals during emergencies (for example sending images and such via internet for consultation). You'll know when you get closer to cruise time how her health has been acting, so you'll hopefully have somewhat of an idea of what to expect. I think a cruise paying careful attention to her current health on embarkation (maybe a quick checkover with her doctor before the cruise) would be a wonderful memory making time with your sister. Sometimes changing locations during a serious illness offers a respite and can be a source of renewed energy. The one other thing I would warn you about is that there are germs everywhere on cruise ships, so make sure to disinfect your room with Lysol when you first get onboard. Because of her disease her immune system is quite repressed and she's more susceptible to becoming ill which could result in more serious complications because she's not as capable of fighting infections. I think it's a great idea, go, have fun, and make LOTS of beautiful memories.

And hugs to you, I know this is probably so very hard to deal with.

Puerto Rico also has a medical center where many folks from the Islands go for care.

quote]

Before I stopped working, I worked for a very large diagnostic ultrasound manufacturing company. I can say that the hospital in Puerto Rico was one of our customers, and they had some very cutting edge equipment at the time (3D imaging in the late 90's early 2000's). The hospital in St. Thomas was also one of our customers, and they had up to date very good equipment as well, but it wasn't cutting edge stuff. I hope this helps set you at ease that there are good hospitals "somewhere in the Caribbean".

I don't have anything as serious as your sister, but do have to buy insurance with cover for pre-existing medical conditions.

The insurance situation in the UK is different to the US - there is no 'you must buy within 14 days' for pre-existing medical conditions - in fact, when I accidentally put the wrong date in for a quote with my current insurer I was told I could not book that far out - so I would find an insurer and check their conditions.

Another issue to look out for is that the Caribbean, geographically & for the purposes of buying travel insurance, is considered to be part of the US and although I have £5 million medical and evacuation cover in Europe, if I travelled to the this area (infact anywhere out of Europe) it's reduced to either £250,000 or £500,000 (can't remember exactly), though the person I spoke to said they hadn't had a claim for over £120,000.

Have a look at Allclear travel - for some conditions you can get a quote on line to get an idea of the costs and then buy it online, or by phone (there's no cost penalty for buying by phone) when they might ask you to speak to a medical advisor

http://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/

another is Freespirit (not used these, but they were my 2nd choice)

http://www.free-spirit.com/

I also found http://www.travelhealth.co.uk/advice/insurance.htm

which says of allclear

"insurance especially designed for travellers with medical conditions. Cancer and other serious conditions are all considered even if a terminal prognosis has been given. No age limits and usually no doctors certificate is needed. Cover can be arranged in one phone call or online. Nearly all applicants covered. No proposal form required."

Also, you may have to book your insurance with the same insurer if you want to be able to cancel if your sister has to cancel.

Hope you can sort this out and all have a wonderful trip

Karen

Archived