Victoria AND Vancouver!

EdukatedRedHed

My DH has decided that after our ship docks in Vancouver, we're renting a car and going over to Victoria to stay the night. Then we're coming back to Vancouver to stay the following night so we can catch our early morning flight out! :rolleyes: I really REALLY don't want to deal with lugging around our 4 HUGE suitcases and 2 small ones between two hotels after the cruise!

Quick ... give me reasons why this is a bad idea!! ;)

I can give you a reason why it's a GOOD idea...Victoria is beautiful!! We stayed 2 nights post-cruise at a very nice hotel near the harbour, visited the Butchart Gardens, and had a wonderful time. The ferry ride over and back from Vancouver in our rental car was a little nerve-wracking for us Idahoans not used to such things! But we made it and we were so glad we did. By the way, the three of us (my mom, sis and I) had 11 bags between us!!!:eek:

Amanda:)

Not a bad idea at all - when will you have another oppotunity to see Victoria? It is a lovely city! Check out the Provincial museum - there is a Titanic exhibit for the summer.;) See the Empress Hotel and the Parliament buildings. They are all within easy walking distance of each other.

Sorry, I'm not talking you out of it!:D

You peeps are NO HELP! :p ;) :D

We'll be spending most of our time in Victoria. We're only coming back to Vancouver the 2nd night so we can stay close to the airport! :)

Ok, so instead of helping me talk him out of it, I guess you've talked me into it! ;)

Or you could check into a hotel in Vancouver and take a floatplane day trip to Victoria - around $C250 per person - but save on rental car, ferry fees (around $C110 for 2 pers. round trip) and hassle. Plus the floatplane ride is drop-dead gorgeous.

www.harbour-air.com

Thank you so much for posting this website! They have exactly what I've been looking for and you've made my day! :D

You might check into the Pacific Coach Line from Vancouver to Victoria - round trip $70. and includes the ferry.

Schedules

http://www.pacificcoach.com/schedule

Fares

http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage

They even let you throw in some excursion or hotel options -

http://www.pacificcoach.com/assets/client/File/Tours/PCLSummerBrochure.pdf

If you do drive, depending on the day of the week you are sailing, you may want to consider booking a reservation on the ferry. Go to www.bcferries.com for more info! enjoy!

Michelle, I understand that you sailed with Lorna recently..I will be on the Liberty and Monarch with her in a few weeks.:)

What part of Vancouver do you live in? I am in North Van.

I have sailed with Lorna a couple of times, and we dragged her and Ally all over Vancouver last time she was here. Lorna is the greatest! :D Have fun on the pre-enaugural! How did you manage it?

I am a Surrey girl(not from here, so I rarely admit this to anyone):p , I work in tourism in Vancouver. Originally from the Okanagan.

I have sailed with Lorna a couple of times, and we dragged her and Ally all over Vancouver last time she was here. Lorna is the greatest! :D Have fun on the pre-enaugural! How did you manage it?

I am a Surrey girl(not from here, so I rarely admit this to anyone):p , I work in tourism in Vancouver. Originally from the Okanagan.

I am a friend of critterchick's, and her DH couldn't go, so she invited me. I lucked out!:)

Sorry, OP!

I find 250 C$ expensive. I have flown by floatplane several times recently and have paid 55 C$ per person one way. Problems will be with the luggage weight - should check to find per person limits. The planes seem to skim the ocean and the views are wonderfull, travel time is 25-30 minutes and the dock is close to the cruise ship terminal. I have always been picked up by friends so cannot say how connections work in Victoria. The float planes also have a base on the Fraser River minutes from Vancouver Airport, so that might be more convenient to connect to an airport hotel or for a flight out.

Sorry , sorry , Sorry, I googled the airfloat plane costs and they are now 120 C$ per person each way - I did not realize how much increased gas costs have hit the prices and my last flight was to Nanaimo so I got confused. This has taught me to reseach BEFORE I put info on line. If cost is no problem - and the weather is good - the flight IS fantastic. Maybe rent a car in Vancouver, go over by ferry, tour Victoria, then fly back to the Fraser River base and take a taxi to the airport hotel. Again apologies.

If you do decide on the floatplane, please call/e-mail harbour air or west coast air before you show up with all your luggage. They usually fly the twin over to victoria on the sched. flights, and there is limited cargo area. These planes are used commonly as commuter flights, so it may not be terrible bad. Flight time is exactly 35 minutes from downtown to downtown. Vancouver terminal is near Canada place and Victoria is near/on the inner harbour a few short blocks to the Empress Hotel.

Helijet flies DT to DT as well. Have fun!

Archived