hiring a driver for the day

tyson

I think he's only in Cozumel. He would ahve to ferry his station wagon over to Playa to meet you. Sorry, but we've booked him for the 20th in Cozumel already:)--(3 of us room for 1 more?). You might be able to get Lazaro, who seems, by the above post, like he's a good tour guide.

Email Mike and ask him about tours in Playa. Mike is very good about replying and may direct you to someone if Lazaro can't do it.

Have a great time at the wedding:D

how can that be? I haev him booked for 5/20 beginning at 9:30 with the van??!!!

how can that be? I haev him booked for 5/20 beginning at 9:30 with the van??!!!

Lilygator...Your post sparked Mike to email me and say that he had forgotten to transfer your booking to his daytimer and you had prebooked him back in January! So we're switching and going with Lazaro! That earned brownie points in my book because Mike quickly corrected what could have been a bad situation for all of us! So thanks for reading these posts and speaking up! :)

What ship are you sailing on?

It will just be myself and my 22 yr old daughter, did you feel safe traveling around by yourselves and not with a group? what is the contact info so we can hire them. Any suggestions that is a must see and do?:)

It will just be myself and my 22 yr old daughter, did you feel safe traveling around by yourselves and not with a group? what is the contact info so we can hire them. Any suggestions that is a must see and do?:)

It's cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com. As far as what to do, if you're not a beachbum or beach partyer, or don't do water sports, there's a lot of nice views and small Mayan ruins around. The lighthouse at Punta Sur. Nice lunch somewhere. THere's a 'tequila facotry' that more of a tourist trap than a real tequila factory but it's an interesting tour. Gerry or Lazaro can take you to shopping areas away from the cruiseline related places near the docks. Check out some of the information at cozumelinsiderdot com (I think that's the url, it on page one of this thread).

You'll have a good time I'm sure. But remeber Gerry gets a lot of trafffic off these boards so ty to book him as early as you can once you know your cruise stop date.

Thank you for your help! I emailed him this morning but have not heard back from him yet we leave May 3 on our cruise I hopes its not to late :(. How long does it usually take to get a rsponse? When shopping with this tour is it best to use/have all cash in most of the places they take you?

Just heard from Mike thank you, Does anyone know the time difference between their local time and Ship Valor? We need to give them a local time to be picked up, sorry first timer :(

You're going out of Miami, so Cozumel is 1 hour earlier after they switch to DST in April. If you dock at 9 on the ship's schedule, it'll be 8 in Cozumel in May. Just tell Mike what time the ship's scheduled to dock and then give yourself 15-20 minutes to get off the ship. He'll confirm the time with you in the email. Have fun. We're 2 weeks behind you.

ntshop, Mike should respond in a day or two. I think he gets the email. contacts Gerry then contacts you. But you'll need to have confirmed the day before you leave or else, neither he nor Gerry can get in touch with you on the ship. Have a great cruise:)

We used Gerry in Feb. We had set up a 10 am local time meet. Our ship got in almost an hour early. We went to the head of the taxi line and planned on just waiting for Gerry to get there. The guy at the taxi stand asked if we needed a taxi, we said no we were waiting on Gerry but our ship had arrived early. He said no problem, he called Gerry and told him we were there, Gerry was there in about 5 mins. He is a great guy. Try's very hard to make your visit special.

I am so bummed, we were supposed to be with Gerry Saturday. Mike emailed me and told us to have a great time since we wont be in Cozumel this week.

They are great and I hope I get the chance to book with them again!

Do you give them a credit card number? We are going in July and not sure how that works.... safe wise////

Sorry you will miss cozumel, hope your trip is awesome!

We were going to pay him cash when we arrived, we had paid them nothing prior to our trip.

Thanks...funny how things work, he just emailed me not 2 minutes after I asked the question! SO thanks for answer and again I hope ya'll have a great trip...

Just a quick post to say that we used Gerry on 11th April, and found him to be an excellent guide and very friendly (he was letting our daughter practice her Spanish on him). We just left him to decide where to go, and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip with him.

However, beware that the ship's time may be aligned with local time in Cozumel. We were on RCL Grandeur, and although we were told that the clocks went back on the night before we reached Cozumel, we were assured that local time was still on hour behind ship time.

Fortunately, we disembarked at 10:20, and met Gerry at 10:30 who had been a little concerned that we had not shown up at 10:00!! However, as he had no other passengers booked that day, it did not matter so much, but please bear this in mind.

Just a quick post to say that we used Gerry on 11th April, and found him to be an excellent guide and very friendly (he was letting our daughter practice her Spanish on him). We just left him to decide where to go, and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip with him.

However, beware that the ship's time may be aligned with local time in Cozumel. We were on RCL Grandeur, and although we were told that the clocks went back on the night before we reached Cozumel, we were assured that local time was still on hour behind ship time.

Fortunately, we disembarked at 10:20, and met Gerry at 10:30 who had been a little concerned that we had not shown up at 10:00!! However, as he had no other passengers booked that day, it did not matter so much, but please bear this in mind.

Thanks for the info! I have emailed them that we would meet Gerry 30 minutes after we arrive in the port.....so hopefully that will work, unless we get there at 5:50 in the morning!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mary

In light of the Mr. Sanchos situation, it might be nice to take a tour of the island but I still think $95 for two people/three hours is high, especially with the lower gas prices. The reputable tour guide in St. Maarten, Bernard, only charges $40 PP for six hours and things are more expensive there than in Mexico.

Edited by Perfect Stranger

hmmm.. I still think he is a little better priced than just randomly going to find a cab or going thru a larger tour company. Also much better than taking tours for two from the ship. Also with all the positive statements about him, I feel we have a better shot at getting a great tour!

On the other hand... WOW you got an amazing deal in St. Maarten!!!

Bye!

In light of the Mr. Sanchos situation, it might be nice to take a tour of the island but I still think $95 for two people/three hours is high, especially with the lower gas prices. The reputable tour guide in St. Maarten, Bernard, only charges $40 PP for six hours and things are more expensive there than in Mexico.

PS--For 2 that may seem a bit steep, but he can seat 4 adults comfortably in his car and if you have more he can hire a van for only a slightly higher fee (because it's not his van) so the cost per person can be relatively cheap. And considering the posted cab fare signs to San Gervaseo are $45 one way and all cab is doing is taking you there and back to the dock, Gerry's charges are very competitve and his service is a known quality.

Otis cruiser, glad you had a nice time with Gerry, We're still hoping this whole flu scare blows over soon and we can still have our tour with Lazaro.

I can see how it would still seem expensive, but we did have a great time (not that those two are related). Gerry did tell us that on the island the gas price is about $3.50 per liter, so even though the island is small, their gas prices are considerably higher than in the U.S. (or were in March when we went). But that's a great deal you got in St. Maarten!