hiring a driver for the day

tyson

Has anyone tried to contact Black Hat recently? I have sent two email requests through their website and not had a reply to either one. Are they still in business? Does anyone have a direct email for them?

Have also contacted Santiago because folks were recommending him and he got back to me right away! Has anyone had a tour with him recently? Is he an independent driver, a taxi driver or works for a bigger outfit?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

• 6 months later...

We did the private jeep tour with CozumelCruiseExcursions.Net. We had a wonderful time, and planning on do another private tour when we return again on a cruise within the coming months. They are a family tour operator, and is what I love about them. We have been using their services for over a decade now, since we first booked a snorkel tour with them.

The private jeep tour includes your own private jeep and guide. I was surprised to find that our jeep included AC and cooler of beer and water in the back. Our guide was Israel, and he was excellent! Our first stop was snorkeling at a private beach club near the cruise port. Afterwards we decided to have some beers and Israel took over the driving for us. We went to Punta sur park, and the entrance here is included. We climbed the lighthouse, checked out the small mayan ruin and seen a crocodile at the lagoon.

My favorite park was the east coast of the Island, where Israel took us to a blowhole. We got some great video of my husband getting soaked. There are some really nice beaches on the east coast, and without the crowds. Lunch is included at a nice beach restaurant with a great view. The best part is that your able to customize the tour the way you like, and thats what we plan on doing our next trip to Cozumel. We were hoping for some recommendations on nice beach clubs to stop by or other attractions to add to our private tour. I would recommend checking the private jeep tour out. Its only $69 per person. http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-jeep-tour.html I think its better to book right with the tour operator instead of through the cruise line or broker. They come highly recommended, and make sure to ask for Israel.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good question, as we are headed for Cozumel the end of March. I like to find a driver that will take us places that "tour" guides normally don't. I like a driver that is a native, as they normally know of places that we would like to see, that wouldn't be on a tour guide list.

These suggestions sound good. I was amazed when there were 8 of us in Turks and Cacios, and we wound up having a driver taking us "everywhere" for $100.:) I believe there is so much competition between these taxi drivers, and I have found..........if they want business bad enough, they will come down on prices.

Cabs on Cozumel are fairly well regulated (especially compared to the crooks in Philly :mad: ) with the rates posted on the fare board near your pier. I would count on paying the posted rate or whatever you are quoted by one of the services suggested above.

Many years ago a group of friends and I walked out of the terminal to hire a taxi. Our driver was named, Dario. This is his email address. dariosantiagovera@yahoo.com.mx

I have used him many times since and sent many friends to him. He is a great guy and you will love him. He has a large van. I think he can take up to 10 people, but he takes however many you have. I have gone with two up to eight.

Tell him Juanita sent you! He is a regular registered driver in Cozumel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Black Hat and ToursPlaza are the two companies I see recommended most often on this board. I have never heard of Cruise Excursions although there are many companies with variations on that name (mostly brokers) including dot net and dot com varieties so I would be careful to do research to see who you are actually booking with.

Easy enough to get a driver at the pier for less money for an island tour but no guarantees on their English and you should have some idea where you want to go, what you want to see unless this is not important. Any one you book in advance should notify, and get authorization, from the taxi union to pick you up at the port otherwise you will need to meet them outside the port area.

We personally have used ToursPlaza many times with different sized groups.

Even though the Taxi fare rates are posted on the board, have any of you, or have you known of anyone, where they could "talk" the Taxi driver to come down in fare price? I have known many Taxi drivers down through the years, that "IF" they want the money bad enough, and there is plenty of competition between all the drivers, they will come down in price.

Even though the Taxi fare rates are posted on the board, have any of you, or have you known of anyone, where they could "talk" the Taxi driver to come down in fare price? I have known many Taxi drivers down through the years, that "IF" they want the money bad enough, and there is plenty of competition between all the drivers, they will come down in price.

Doubt you will be able to bargain at the taxi line with other drivers waiting - taxis on Coz a fairly well regulated (especially compared to the crooks in Philly :mad: ) and every cab I have taken used the fare board rates.

If you find one on the street and can speak reasonable Spanish, maybe... :confused:

We booked with Cozumel Cruise Excursions. It was just my husband and my children and our driver, Marisol. It was around $70 a person but that included a cooler full of beer and water, a simple lunch, entrance into many places and access to a beach with snorkeling. You can choose your own itenary. We went to the "wild" side of the island, absolutely breath taking. We will be returning the end of March and doing the same thing again. You are guaranteed a driver that speaks English as well. You also have the option to drive if you would like. We also went to a rum factory, again all included in the price.

• Like 2