Just back Pride of America...any questions?

Cruise Junky

We just got back from Pride of America last night, had a great time, ship is nice, service is spotty, itinerary is fantastic. Will write full review, but any questions in the meantime, feel free to ask.

Contrary to what is written here, you can buy liquour for your room, but it's expensive. 375ml for $35 with soda.

We just got back from Pride of America last night, had a great time, ship is nice, service is spotty, itinerary is fantastic. Will write full review, but any questions in the meantime, feel free to ask.

Contrary to what is written here, you can buy liquour for your room, but it's expensive. 375ml for $35 with soda.

Cruise Junky, looking forward to your review. I've been reading all reviews on Pride of America (the good and the not so good). After I read your review, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you. Thanks in advance for your review.

Welcome back. We are looking forward to your review as we will be going on Aug 18, 2007.

Did you do any room service ordering? With a balcony, we may spend alot of time in room and wonder how room service is.

As to liqour, in the past we pre-ordered a bottle of vodka for the room, but have been told on forum, not available in the Pride ships, so what did you find out?

Also, I think I have seen a reference to a better place to go when the buffet is open. Maybe on the rear of the ship? Is that true?

Thanks for sharing yoru information with us.

We did do a room service order, but only once. We ordered some drinks, a bottle of wine and two cheese platters for our sail by the Napili Coast. They were prompt and got everything right.

As for liquour in the room.... we took on two water bottles in our carry on on embarkation, they never checked them. They were water, but could have been vodka. One day there was a flyer in the daily stuff that said you could order a 375 ml bottle from the bars with soda. I'll try and wade through our stuff and get you the exact info. However, hubby did smuggle two bottles on in two ports...I still can't believe he did this, but lets say that if he wore boxers it wouldn't have worked. Plastic bottles, hawaiian shirt..what can I say, it was his birthday and he wanted a drink.

The only services issues we really had was in the cadillac diner...same waiter, my dad asked for his orange juice twice at breakfast didn't get it, and the one night we went for dinner, he forgot my dinner.

Most of the staff were very friendly and they really tried. This isn't a cruise if you want to feel pampered and waited on, but if you're willing to go with the flow, it was great. Some of what NCL does is great. They had the best burgers we've ever had at sea, coffee pots in the rooms, and being able to stay in your room until your colour is called is wonderful.

Also, I think I have seen a reference to a better place to go when the buffet is open. Maybe on the rear of the ship? Is that true?

Yes the Aloha cafe has a great outdoor area. They dont serve food out there except for one day (saturday) but you can bring your food from inside there. Its great for dinner or lunch. Not alot of people know its there and its almost always empty at night.

The only services issues we really had was in the cadillac diner...same waiter, my dad asked for his orange juice twice at breakfast didn't get it, and the one night we went for dinner, he forgot my dinner.

haha im 95% sure I know who your talking about.

OMG, We'll be on the ship in 6 days! I'm in the throes of planning/packing/nailbiting! :D

I have a few questions for you (or anyone interested in answering)...

1. Can you remember what were some of the movies they played?

2. Did you hang out at the pools/hot tubs any time? If so how was it -- was water cold?

3. Was the buffet self-serve, or did they have servers dish stuff up for you?

4. Did you check out the fitness center/ spa? Actually what I really want to know is ow are the shower areas? (i.e. are they a good substitute for the teenie weenie ones in the staterooms?) Do they have shampoos and hair products in there?

Yes the Aloha cafe has a great outdoor area. They dont serve food out there except for one day (saturday) but you can bring your food from inside there. Its great for dinner or lunch. Not alot of people know its there and its almost always empty at night.

Actually the Aloha Cafe outdoor area was open every morning for a continental breakfast. We loved that back deck to eat. We were out there as much as possible.

OMG, We'll be on the ship in 6 days! I'm in the throes of planning/packing/nailbiting! :D

I have a few questions for you (or anyone interested in answering)...

1. Can you remember what were some of the movies they played?

2. Did you hang out at the pools/hot tubs any time? If so how was it -- was water cold?

3. Was the buffet self-serve, or did they have servers dish stuff up for you?

4. Did you check out the fitness center/ spa? Actually what I really want to know is ow are the shower areas? (i.e. are they a good substitute for the teenie weenie ones in the staterooms?) Do they have shampoos and hair products in there?

Movies: Hmmm can't really remember, but in the state room was some old stuff... "As good as it gets", "Forest Gump" and "A few good Men" were definitely on. I'll check out the daily's once we find them and report back.

Pools/Hot-tubs: we loved the Oasis Pool I think it was called on the back deck of 13. Nice and hidden not overcrowded.. was a bit cold if you got in after sitting in the sun, but warmed up pretty quick. Really, really loved that back area. Little pool, a hot tub and good bar service.

Buffet: Self serve for the most part except for the carving station. Try the Burgers, best we've ever had. They have a burger bar at the buffet, with bacon, salsa, chili, grilled onions, peppers and all kinds of good stuff to heap on there.

Fitness Center and Spa: sorry, didn't set foot in either. Showers in the room were really small though, made it a bit difficult to shave legs ;)

Actually the Aloha Cafe outdoor area was open every morning for a continental breakfast. We loved that back deck to eat. We were out there as much as possible.

wowow dont know why that went right past my head (slap myself) thanks for reminding me. I should know I did work it hundreds of times lol.

Yippee! We sail the 2nd of June and I am so excited! Can you tell us what excursions you took? I loved what you said about the service...we are not "service dependant" for our good times either. The ports are what I love! I will look forward to your review:)

Hello,

Which island that you cruise the Napali Coast? and which side of the ship that get the better view?

Did you view the volcano? Which side of the ship get the better view?

Thanks

The Napali coast is on Kauai. That will be the port side (left.) The volcano is on both because the captain will go past it then turn around to get to Maui. First its on the right, turns then left.

My Father in Law will be so happy to hear that we can get him a bottle for his cabin. He likes to have a drink at night on the balcony. If you can find the list do you mind letting us know what they offered? Thanks so much for the help we are sailing on May 26th and I can't wait. Looking forward to your review. I forgot to ask... do you have to add the tip on your bar bill or is it already on there? I've read several posts on this and want to be prepared with enough cash. Thanks for the help

The Napali coast is on Kauai. That will be the port side (left.) The volcano is on both because the captain will go past it then turn around to get to Maui. First its on the right, turns then left.

Can you see both events from an aft balcony? Or will we have to go up to a deck to really see everything?

Yippee! We sail the 2nd of June and I am so excited! Can you tell us what excursions you took? I loved what you said about the service...we are not "service dependant" for our good times either. The ports are what I love! I will look forward to your review:)

Excursions: The only Ship's excursions we booked as my dad and dh did a last minute golf excursion the second day of Kauai, other than that we rented cars in every port. Really recommend this as it gave you the freedom to go where you want spend as long as you want and add in the odd "Shopping" stop :). We really found the ships excursions to be expensive. Just to go to the Waimea Canyon was $53 per person. We rented a car for the day for $50 and there were four of us that went all over for the day.

I forgot to ask... do you have to add the tip on your bar bill or is it already on there? I've read several posts on this and want to be prepared with enough cash. Thanks for the help

You actually do have to add the tip to the bar bill, but it doesn't have to be cash, there's room for the tip on the bill that they bring and it'll just be charged to your onboard account. This was the first trip we've been on where the standard 15% was not added on.

Can you see both events from an aft balcony? Or will we have to go up to a deck to really see everything?

We had an awesome view of the Napili Coast from our Aft Cabin. For the volcano we went up top to see both sides when the ship turned.

Archived