Dawn Princess

bmccarthy

We're planning an Alaskan cruise for next summer, probably in the middle of July. My husband and I have been on RC Jewel of the Seas. My parents, brother and his fiance have never cruised. We are considering another RC cruise on Serenade since we loved the Radiance class. I know that Princess comes highly recommended for Alaskan cruises, so we're looking at them as well. We're interested in doing the RT inside passage out of Seattle or Vancouver. However, I just found the 10-day on the Dawn Princess. Has anyone ever sailed on this ship? I realize that the 2008 Princess itineraries have yet to come out, but was looking for some info in case this cruise is offered again next summer. Can anyone tell me how this ship compares to the RC Radiance class? Has anyone been on RC & Princess to Alaska and can compare the 2 experiences?

I've sailed the Sun Princess which is a Dawn twin. There is little comparism to the Radiance class RCI ships. And if looking for a comparable ship, this probably isn't a ship to consider.

Another consideration, Hubbard and Glacier Bay have far more access than Tracy Arm if you are interested in glacier viewing. Round trip Vancouver also has more scenic sailing.

It appears that Princess only offers 7-day RT out of Seattle on Sun or Golden Princess. The Vancouver departure are all one-way, correct? Can anyone recommend Sun or Golden to Alaska? Are either of these ships comparable to RC Radiance class ships?

I've sailed the Sun Princess which is a Dawn twin. There is little comparism to the Radiance class RCI ships. And if looking for a comparable ship, this probably isn't a ship to consider.

Another consideration, Hubbard and Glacier Bay have far more access than Tracy Arm if you are interested in glacier viewing. Round trip

Vancouver also has more scenic sailing.

Do you consider Dawn/Sun Princess better or worse in comparison to Radiance class? What ship(s) would you compare to them? Is the retractable roof completely covered or just on the top? We want to be able to swim indoors and love the Solarium on Royal Caribbean.

Dawn is very nice ship. However, it has been in service for quite some time and it does start showing it ages, like wears on the carpet, wood trim. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there last year

Here's some reviews on the Dawn Princess.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=56

We were on the Dawn last Sept on a roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska. Here's the review I wrote when we got back:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=21479

Hope these help. We didn't feel the ship had an "old" or "worn" feeling to it. In my review, I really try to give the pros and cons of the ship.

Do you consider Dawn/Sun Princess better or worse in comparison to Radiance class? What ship(s) would you compare to them? Is the retractable roof completely covered or just on the top? We want to be able to swim indoors and love the Solarium on Royal Caribbean.

There is NO roof on the Sun/ Dawn, completely open "cold" pool. :)

It appears that Princess only offers 7-day RT out of Seattle on Sun or Golden Princess. The Vancouver departure are all one-way, correct? Can anyone recommend Sun or Golden to Alaska? Are either of these ships comparable to RC Radiance class ships?

Yes correct. You have to go with another line for round trip Vancouver, which you may want to consider??? The Sun is the same as the Dawn and no comparism to Radiance ships.

I actually liked the Sun very much, it has superb front deck space, and a nice size ship for sailing Alaska. I've taken this ship 3 times to Alaska, the first when it was the largest ship sailing. :) If your expectations are for only "new" ships, then this isn't a good choice. But I am not of that mode and actually favor the older ships that have some differences to them. :)

I actually liked the Sun very much, it has superb front deck space, and a nice size ship for sailing Alaska. I've taken this ship 3 times to Alaska, the first when it was the largest ship sailing. :) If your expectations are for only "new" ships, then this isn't a good choice. But I am not of that mode and actually favor the older ships that have some differences to them. :)

We have no experience with Princess and heard good stuff about them in regards to Alaska. We want to do a RT, preferably out of Vancouver and really want the indoor pool like the Solarium offered on Royal Caribbean. I just wanted to keep my options open, but am leaning towards the Serenade. We really enjoyed the Jewel and know what to expect on the Radiance class.

We were on the Dawn 10 day Mex Riv from SF in Feb and the ship and crew were great. No wear or rude crew that we saw. We will be on the Dawn Sep cruise to Alaska from SF. Might be its next to last from there.

We have no experience with Princess and heard good stuff about them in regards to Alaska. We want to do a RT, preferably out of Vancouver and really want the indoor pool like the Solarium offered on Royal Caribbean. I just wanted to keep my options open, but am leaning towards the Serenade. We really enjoyed the Jewel and know what to expect on the Radiance class.

This and prior years, Princess has not done a 7 day round trip Vancouver sailing. Look at 2008 itineraries.

Archived