Packing List - enough?

Ok.. I am trying to fit everything in one carry on, so I will be doing laundry during the Mediterranean cruise. I will also travel to London, Glasgow, Paris, and Barcelona (from May 12 to June 11). Do you think the following is enough? I can stuff everything listed here in one carry on suitcase. Of cuz I will have room for the toiletries, guidebooks, and other things that I need.

Pants

1 white khaki

2 Yoga pants

1 Jeans (wear on the plane)

Tops

5 Sleeveless shirts

3 long sleeve shirts (one to wear on the plane)

Semi-Formal wear (wear for semi-formal and formal nights)

Please don't comment on whether it is formal enough or not.... I would say the tops and pants I bring are business casual, something that is good enough to be business formal if I add a suit on...

1 black pants

2 nice tops

1 Shawl

1 pair of nice sandals

Accessories

1 pair of Sandals

1 pair of runners (wear on the plane)

2 Hats

2 swim suits

1 sunglassess

1 blazer (wear on the plane)

1 rainjacket (wear on the plane)

1 umbrella

Inner wear

6 undies

6 socks

1 extra bra

Sleeping needs

1 PJ

1 eye mask

5 ear plugs

What do you plan to wear during the day on board or for touring? There are some places where khakis, jeans or yoga pants may not be appropriate. I would absolutely add at least one skirt, a dress for non-formal evenings and possibly even a pair of shorts. If you're planning to use the pool you will need some sort of a cover up for traveling throughout the ship (or to and from the beach).

All just my opinion, but I think you might need to take a bigger suitcase! :)

Unless you are Munchkin size I cannot imagine how you will get all of this into a carry-on! My toiletries alone for such a long trip would take up the carry on space. Why do you not want to take a suitcase?:confused:

Karen, I can put all these in a carry on, I am bringing alot of sample size products and will buy shampoo, conditioner and body cream in Barcelona... I don't want to bring a suitcase because of reasons listed here http://www.onebag.com

Waterbaby, what places can't I wear yoga pants with sleeveless top (with a rainjacket to cover my shoulder)? and thanks for the suggestion of the coverall, might need to add that on my list :)

Wow that is quite impressive but I guess actually I have forgotten about the 70's and backpacking through Europe with all your worldly possessions in that little bag and really not needing a great deal. But we were very young then! Are you in the 20's range? Sorry to be so curious!:o

From one carryon queen to another... check out *************** for her list for packing a carryon bag for a cruise. There are some good suggestions here. Also, check out http://www.fashionforrealwomen.com/clothing_capsules.html and http://www.theclothingchronicles.com/archives/206-11172005.htm These sites give some excellent ideas on creating a mix and match wardrobe for traveling and for everyday life- using a handful of clothing. A suggestion, if you use a carryon for your clothes and shoes, you can also carry a larger purse-type/tote bag and put your toiletries that you would have put in the "clothing" carryon in there. Good luck and have a great trip!

Cruise diva dot com, she's got a pretty good packing list.

I'm doing my best to pack in a carry on, I am doing just that for our next mini-cruise in a couple of weeks. I know I can do it because I have everything in there already! Not packed, mind you, just in there so I know it fits, I still have to press, fold and pack into folders so things don't get wrinkled.

I don't know if I could do it for a week or longer cruise, but it sure is great not having to check a bag!

Misery, sleeveless top and yoga pants for onboard, during the day? Sounds comfy but I not familiar with that particular cruise. Would have been fine for the Mexico cruises I have been on.

In any case, check out the clothing capsule website...the basic premise is mix and match your clothes with everything else. I only wear black, so it is easy to a fault. (I truly have to rely on various shoes and accessories...as long as they fit in my carry on!:) )

I would say as long as the yoga pants aren't tight or scream "let's get ready to lotus". I have several pairs that I can dress up that are from Weekenders clothing- you wouldn't even know that they are yoga pants!) BTW, I have only traveled on Carnival- three cruises (so far) and have seen the gamut of clothing worn there.

Personally, no, I do not think it is enough.

Only sandals and runners? What about dinner time? My daytime sandals and loafers are not dining room appropriate and Ihave never seen a pair that are; in addition, feet swell when walking all day in the heat and it is good to have a pair of alternate footwear.

If you have no issue with being underdressed for dinner, perhaps you can get by. For me, your wardrobe would be lacking in most areas. How does business casual equate to business formal?

I packed for a one week cruise and a week in Italy in a 24inch rolling case and a carry on. I dressed formally for formal nights and wore skirts, dresses, linen slacks during the day. As I had to make multiple train connections and also was travellling with my mom, I had to be concerned about her bags as well as mine. We did fine even in 95 degree heat and with lots of steps.

I utilized a local dry cleaner and had my laundry done after the cruise and it was convenient and easy.

If it was purely a young person's backpacking trip, you might be ok, but for a cruise, I think you are underpacking.

JMO.

Sounds great! It can be done! I do it all the time, as I hate to overpack.

I would throw in a cover-up for swimsuit. and maybe a pair of shorts if the weather will be warm. Also, I roll everything, it gets there way less wrinkley and it is more compact.

KUDOS TO YOU!

Have a blast!:)

Misery1001:

I think you CAN DO THIS! You sound willing to wash clothes or send them out. I'll make a few assumptions and I would offer a few suggestions? Maybe helpful; maybe not. I'll list YOUR initial items ---then alternatives that might work:

PANTS:

1 pr white khakis-----take DARK khakis given time of year, soiling or, chocolate pants?

2 Yoga pants----ONLY IF they're high quality, no stripes, day to evening types!(like athleta)--swap 1 pr for a good travel knit skirt for both excursions/London/evenings?

1 jeans----you really can "skip" these and wear yoga pants or khakis on plane/excursions?

TOPS

5 Sleeveless shirts----swap out 3 for capped sleeve, 1-2 of which w.matched cardigans to create

" twin set" for informal evening (bring some bling) or have for extra warmth during the day trips?

3 long sleeve shirts (1 to wear on plane)---swap 1 for ¾ sleeve for good weather excursion and make sure 1

"dressy" enough for informal night?

Semi-formal wear/Formal wear:

1 black pants---------assume these are VERY dressy, not chinos.

2 nice tops-------make sure one at LEAST is sparkly formal

1 shawl-------needs to be dressy type

1 pair nice sandals----assuming black, strappy w. heels that can "do" both informal/formal

Accessories:

1 pair sandals----assuming WALKING sandals--

1 pair runners----unless you DO plan to run, maybe skip or a pr of stylish closed toe walkers?

2 hats------hmm?.2?

1 blazer------assume matches all day wear if chilly, but not rainy.

1 rain jacket

1 umbrella---hat & raincoat would be sufficient?

Inner wear

6 undies ---sounds ok, should dry o'night

6 socks

1 extra bra---sounds ok, should dry o'night

Sleeping needs

1 pj---ok, wash 'em once or twice

I hope to hear if you make it in one bag??..I'd love to someday! Have a great time.

Martha

misery1001:

btw..I think you can skip the swimsuit cover-up suggestion you got earlier. IF it IS warm enuf for the pool, your yoga pants and a T will suffice in that regard to get there and back to your cabin.

and.....since you're mid-20's something, by "bling" to rev up a conservative twinset for dinner that you might also have worn during a day excursion, I mean only add a funky, sparkly costume jewelry pin/earrings or one of those fun silk/satin/velvet "flower pins" with a bit of sparkle, or a sparkly headband......or a simple strand of pearls. done.

Finely retired, excellent suggestions :).

I, too, love athleta clothing as it is very high quality. I have black yoga pants from them that I pair with a sleeveless longer length turtleneck and great belt in the summer, longer in the summer. Then sandals or low heeled boots, depending on the season. I always pack a pashmina or two in a pretty print to dress it up. Packs great and looks dressy.

Agree that white is a bad choice for travel and that jeans are too heavy, period. I used to be a blazer gal but the packability and functionality of my scarves (pashminas, silk blends, give me more flexibility.

Still cannot imagine fitting all of that list in a carry on, seems like it would have to be a really big one but hope the OP manages.

Archived