Traveler's Checks versus Cash on Tahiti

Curious Jan

We leave in about 5 weeks on the Tahiti Princess. My husband hates travelers check but I can not imagine taking a large amount of cash. How difficult is it to use Traveler's checks on board and on the islands. Of course, when we can we want to use a charge but I know there is going to be a lot

of times when cash will be the requested payment. Please help?

Jan

When we went in May we took cash and credit cards. All of the hotels take the cards. We found that everyone will also take USD and we never had to change a single penny. We did all private tours (not Princess ones) and all of the tour operators and/or cab drivers took USD. The exchange was about equal at that time. We kept the extra cash in the safe (free) in every stateroom.

We used cash for everything when we went last year. All of the private vendors (Marc, Bruno, etc) wanted cash. I think we exchanged all of $20 into XFP and that was to get a pizza during our pre-cruise stay. The purser's desk on the TP will exchange your traveler's check for you if you bring them along.

Weren't you concerned about traveling with so much cash? I understand that once we are on the ship we can put it in the safe, but we have to fly from Pittsburgh with layover in Chicago. Then we arrive at LAX and head for Tahiti and a 2 day pre cruise. Isn't that a long time to carry so much cash?

Jan

Curious Jan, I guess it's a personal choice really some would do it some wouldn't just by the inconvenience of it all...if you don't feel comfortable in doing it then perhaps you should consider the travellers check route and as we all pointed out there are several places for you to be able to cash them when you need to either in Tahiti or onboard in the amounts of your chosing.

Curious Jan,

I too hate to think of losing cash and Travelers Checks. I have a water wallet that is a little bigger than a cigarette pack. I tri fold my travelers checks in there and also my extra money. It has a thick string/rope that you wear around your neck. I put it on and down my shirt while traveling. If they actually grab it they'll have to take you along. We always put the travelers check's receipts in a separate place(like in my husbands wallet). You can wear it while swimming and snorkeling.

For Nuku Hiva and Hiva Oa, you will need cash (PF) for handicraft purchases. Also need PF for other small vendors that have some of the nice handmade stuff. We got quite a bit of PF on the ship but the purser may run out, and on one trip set a limit of 50.00 a day per passenger. Our dive operator on Nuku Hiva wants PF as well.

John

There are banks in the Marquesas where you can exchange your greenbacks and traveller's cheques for XPF. They will want a passport however for ID. Be cautious about your ATM cards. Mine didn't work anywhere in FP despite having worked successfully in about a dozen other countries including 3 in Asia.

Visa also offers a Travel Fund Card. You have to purchase through your bank or direct from Visa. You place the amount of money you want on the card and you use it like a Visa card. Has the Visa logo and you need to place your order at least two weeks in advance. Bank of America offers them too!!79 days and a wake-up til we leave for Tahiti!!:D :D :D

Archived