Any timeshare owners exchange your week for a cruise

In 2005, we used our timeshare week in exchange for a cruise rather than lose it. There is absolutely no benefit in exchanging with RCI. The price paid was not any less expensive plus you had to pay their exchange fee. We're also stuck with a timeshare week that we do not use because we would rather cruise.

We have done it several times now on cruises and have found that you pay the exchange fee of 154 and then paid 543 for

the cruise. My wifes sister and brother in law paid 1195 for same cruise so we saved 498 dollars. Not bad but it is about the same as maintenance fee.

The time share we used has a lock off and last year did the same thing but kept lock off unit and traded the A unit. Same deal and we could still use our time share.

In all an ok deal if you want to or can only take 1 vacation and it is a cruise. I have also found II to offer good rates on cruises.

After reading so much negative comments on TUG about doing it I have never considered it. This past year we rented out our unit, rather than exchanging it, and got enough to cover our dues plus quite a bit extra to pay towards a cruise. I have been finding that renting our week is probably our best option if we choose not to stay in a timeshare...for cruises or hotel vacations.

Just wondering if anyone has used their week to exchange through RCI or II for a cruise and how well does that work if you do so? Thank you in advance for any advice.

for our second cruise with carnival, we used points from our timeshares with rci....only cost us 444.00 for both us for a week for an ocean view.....since then, we are better off spending our own money then using points, cause they want more money out of our pocket than what it would be just to book a cruise thru rccl ourselves.....actually we are selling the 2 timeshares we have with rci, cause i rather cruise than sit somewhere for a week!

Just last week we traded in a week through RCI and were able to get $1,000 off current RCL rates for a Mediterrean cruise this Nov. I have spent much time researching all major internet sites for best pricing. The trade in was only good on balcony cabins but it allowed us to have a balcony for just a bit more than the inside. The $1,000 was per person and RCI has a program that lets you book up to 4 cabins at that rate. We have received our paperwork from RCI confirming everything. RCI will also guarantee to pass on any future price discounts from RCL if they occur.

Can anyone give a web link about this RCI trading? Sorry to sound so clueless, but I am interested. We own two week long intervals at a timeshare in Ocean City, Maryland. We always use our August week, but the February week usually just sits there.

The timeshare was a "gift" from my late father many years ago, and only costs the annual condo fees, which is great for us. The cost a renting an ocean front place in OC for a week far exceeds my annual dues.

We toyed with renting the February week, but being a resort town, it is kind of dead that time of year. If I can use it to get cruise discounts, may be worthwhile to join the association.

I don't own a timeshare but travel with people who do. From what I can tell, trading is something that should be looked into. Sometimes it is beneficial and sometimes not. They have traded their week a few times and sometimes the savings were small and other times large enough to say it was well worth it.

Jeffkoz: There are several corporations that handle the trading of timeshare properties. You need to find out what company deals with your particular timeshare. This should all be specified in your paperwork. The phone number for RCI is 800-338-7777.

you can also go to their website rci dot com, log in and check out their cruise department. You have to be careful as some times of years are better deals than others. A few years ago we got great deals on our trade but they have been slowly dimishing.

I recently was going to trade and it wasn't worth it.....I kept getting calls from them about my "inquiry" and finally told them they had to be more competitive to keep the cruise market. I've received a couple promos and it seems that they are "trying" to be more competitive...guess it is just a check and see ... if you have flexible travel times, it is probably a good deal.

Archived