Website for highway travel in Skagway

8mpg

Hi there Murray -

We have booked the Southeast Tours Yukon Horseback riding adventure... My question is this: Since we get picked up as soon as our ship arrives (basically) and brought back an hour before we depart, am I missing anything I really "must" see in the town of Skagway??? Just curious..

My plan was to see Emerald Lake and I'd love to horseback ride at merald Lake Ranch with Joni... But am I making a mistake to spend virtually ALL of my Skagway time driving there and back?

It looks like the drive there is what Skagway is all about!

Thanks!!

We have booked the Southeast Tours Yukon Horseback riding adventure... My question is this: Since we get picked up as soon as our ship arrives (basically) and brought back an hour before we depart, am I missing anything I really "must" see in the town of Skagway??? Just curious..

The problem is that there just isn't enough time to see it all - not in one trip, not in a couple of decades living here. In a tourism sense, Skagway a few years ago existed to tell the story of its place in the Klondike Gold Rush. Now that story is being more and more thoroughly hidden behind jewelry stores and discount t-shirt shops. The story is told just as well now by your guide as you drive through town and into the interior on the general route of the Klondike gold trail. Are there things worth seeing in Skagway? Absolutely, but not "must-sees" - your priority this time is perfectly reasonable.

Murray

I agree Murray, I hate all of the new stores in all of the ports. I loved to go into all of the small Mom & Pop stores that were off the main streets. Seems that everywhere they all gone now. Is the hardware store still there in Skagway? That was fun to wander around in.

Any knowlege of Sitka? I stop there this cruise for the first time since 2002.

I always thought that was the least spoiled of all the ports and the most like a "regular" small town.

Yes, Doug, the hardware is still there - one of the few shops that's open year-round. One of the old-time "if we don't have it, you don't need it" stores.

Sitka is our favourite cruise port. We were hoping to spend a week there for the music festival in June, but there just isn't enough free time this year. It is the most unspoiled of the cruise ports, and has an extremely rich coastline that makes it exceptional for marine wildlife/bird viewing trips (we've chartered Captain Davey for a whole day in July).

Murray

One more question...

How much time would you budget to drive out there and back? 4hours or so? Im wanting to stop by Skagway Fish Company before we drive out to Emerald Lake so I figure we would leave around 1pm or so. We dont leave Skagway until 10pm.

One more question...

How much time would you budget to drive out there and back? 4hours or so? Im wanting to stop by Skagway Fish Company before we drive out to Emerald Lake so I figure we would leave around 1pm or so. We dont leave Skagway until 10pm.

I always recommend 5 hours - most folks are surprised by how many stops they want to make.

Have a great trip!

Murray

Yes, Doug, the hardware is still there - one of the few shops that's open year-round. One of the old-time "if we don't have it, you don't need it" stores.

Sitka is our favourite cruise port. We were hoping to spend a week there for the music festival in June, but there just isn't enough free time this year. It is the most unspoiled of the cruise ports, and has an extremely rich coastline that makes it exceptional for marine wildlife/bird viewing trips (we've chartered Captain Davey for a whole day in July).

Murray

I'll make a note to stop at the hardware store after we return from Carcross. :)

Charles Wohlforth, the author of Frommer's Alaska, says, "If I could visit only one Alaska town, it would probably be Sitka" (p. 133 in 2007 edition).

I always recommend 5 hours - most folks are surprised by how many stops they want to make.

Have a great trip!

Murray

Perfect.. That means we will be back and be able to get ready for 8:30 dinner with time to spare.

Thanks again

Tim

Is there gas station between Skagway and Emerald lake? I am getting a car from Sourdough since Avis was all sold out. I heard their mileage is that great. I don't want to be stranded there because of an empty tank. also, is there emergency call box along the high way? thanks

Archived