Plays in NYC

rag doll

OK, I know it isn't a cruise question.....but I KNOW I can count on you to give good advice on all matters fashion...

What is considered proper attire for women for matinee plays and evening plays in NYC? I'm going with some girlfriends next month and we will see several plays, but I don't know what to wear.

Last time I went to a play in NYC I was all "starry-eyed in love" and really dressed up. I couldn't tell you what the other people in the theatre wore because frankly "he and I were the only people in the world that night."

So, could you give me a little help? What should I wear?

Also, how dressy should I get for dining out? Don't know where we'll be going, but I bet it won't be any fast food or chain type establishments.

Thanks for all advice!

For plays, you'll see everything from jeans to dressy. If going to an afternoon play, I say nice slacks/sweater or top would be fine. Take a wrap/sweater in case the theatre is cool. For evening, I'd wear a dressy dress, maybe not semi formal dressy, but a nice dressy dress, or dressy slacks and top. You will see people there at night who have been out sightseeing all day wearing jeans and t-shirts and baseball caps. And you'll see long dresses.

For dinner.........it depends. If you are doing an expensive restaurant, I'd go with a dressy dress. If more casual, slacks or dress is fine. I love the look of "dressy (trouser style) jeans with a silky/satin camisole and dressy jacket or dressy cardigan with heels" kind of look. Nice slacks with a dressy poncho (they're really hot right now) would be good. Lots of restaurants have websites that can give suggested dress.

Hope this helps.

Jen

DH and I usually wear business casual to the theatre in the evening, unless we are dining at a restaurant that requires a dressier attire. I believe I wore black microfiber slacks with a black/white striped silk blouse and mules - I may have tied a black cardigan around my shoulders. DH probably wore a white or light blue button down oxford with khakis and black shoes/belt.

We eat in at least one 4 star restaurant each time we visit NY (usually twice a year). As long as you're not wearing sweats, you'll be fine. The NY restaurants that still required a jacket & tie are going to be some of the 5-star restaurants with entrees starting at about $50-$75. You're safe with a dressier business casual anywhere.

In April we saw an 8PM show on Broadway. Most people wore jeans or were just very casually dressed. Matinees are definitely casual.

If you go to a site called "open table" and you know where you'll be dining, the attire is listed and you can place an online reservation.

No one in NY pays any attention to you or what you're wearing. You could stencil your hair with chartreuse colored stars and no one would take a second glance. :D

In NY anything goes. Have a ball in one of my favorite cities! It's a great place for a girls' weekend. Enjoy!

Hi Rag Doll,

As a New Yorker, I'll agree with most of the advice given to you from Jen and Madelinerose.

Dressy pants or skirt and a nice blouse or sweater, tank top w/ jacket or a dress will all be appropriate. If it's late Sept and there's a chill in the air, a thin cashmere sweater and silky scarf will look good.

I would dress to the level of restaurant you're going to. Will you be dining before or after the theatre?

However, I'll disagree with MadeleineRose on one point....she said that in NY no one will care what you wear. It's not true....we snicker at those we feel are dressed inappropriately. We're a fashion conscience city and we all play "spot the tourist". Sorry, but it's true. Jogging suits have been known to make native NYer's simultaneously burst out into laughter. <vbg>

Of course it doesn't mean that you won't be admitted into the theatre or served in a restaurant and of course no one is going to point a finger at you. It's really more a matter of your desire to blend in.

Let me know if you'd like some restaurant recommendations and if so, what are you looking for.

Jane

A person would think that with all the culture in New York that even the natives would have something to do other than play "spot the tourist" and laugh at their attire.

It's sad to see that the snobbery that made me leave this board is still around even though it's under a different name. Maybe I'll try again some day.

Suze, the poster asked an honest question and got an honest answer. I don't see where snobbery is a factor. The prevailing customs in a given place are fact and if you mind what people think you'll take them into consideration. If you don't mind, that's okay too. It's human nature to make judgments based on first impressions. Intelligent, reasonable people are willing to change those initial judgments, but they make them all the same.

Lecture over, class dismissed. Sorry, folks. I get a little carried away.

A person would think that with all the culture in New York that even the natives would have something to do other than play "spot the tourist" and laugh at their attire.

It's sad to see that the snobbery that made me leave this board is still around even though it's under a different name. Maybe I'll try again some day.

I am not a NY native, don't even live there, but have an office there and go to NYC once a month on business. I, too, laugh at the tourists. They are so easy to spot, as US tourists are in the rest of the world. We wonder why the world hates us; take a look at the way we dress and act. Our attitude is disrespectful to a lot of the world.

I went to a 5* restaurant two weeks ago with a client and saw MOM and POP try to enter the restaurant in jogging suits. The matre'd said NO, thank goodness. Classy place, business suits required. Why would you THINK you could enter in a jogging suit, looking like you just left the gym? You are not a rock star, politician, or other celebrity. They can get away with the jogging suit-the average American can't. Ya, I know, your green is as good as mine. Decorum is the word we have forgotten.

It is truly sad that America has downgraded herself so far that someone who relates what the local culture requires (or requests-LOL!) is considered a snob. Why is it snobbish to expect patrons of the theatre to at least dress in "business casual"? I am really beginning to resent the "casual"-read LEVI and T-shirt culture. And I really resent the "it's my cruise and I will do what I want crowd". I'm off my soap box, too.

Jane 110...I totally agree with you about the "tourist" thing. DH and I laugh every time we take out a camera in NY, because we're then screaming tourist. I simply meant that there are so many people on the streets, in Central Park, in the Village at the Met, etc. and soooo many tourists everywhere that if you're not wearing sweats or (in your post - jogging suits) you'll be a part of this totally fashionable city and have a wonderful time. I didn't mean wearing jogging suits (ugh) or sweats (ugh) while you're shopping on Madison Ave or even Toys R' Us in Times Square for that matter. DH and I don't own jogging suits and the sweats never leave the house.

greatam...I agree with you also. In other countries, you can pick out the Americans with your eyes closed. It's very sad how casual and even sloppy the attire in this country has become. IMHO, first impressions mean everything. If I met you on the street in NY and you were wearing a Tweety Bird sweat shirt and worn out jeans, I'd form the impression that you could care less about what you look like and how you represented yourself to the world.

Have a great evening...

It isn't nice to snicker at anyone. I live in Myrtle Beach and I too see it all. We can pick out the tourists who come down in January and walk around in shorts and even take a dip in a pool while the locals are laying low for the winter. But we say I bet this weather feels warm to those guys from up North. But the point is we don't snicker!

I believe that I can pull together some suitably dressy looks for evening with silky tops and dressy skirts or pants and some nice casual looks for the matinees with some non-jean pants and light sweaters. Now, for some comfy, yet good looking shoes for these ensembles...

To those who were offended by the practice of "spotting the tourist," I know that I am guilty of noticing when someone is inappropriately dressed for some occasion or location and sometimes feeling amused at their predicament. I do not do this in a mean spirited way or act in a way that would ever let that person feel more embarrassed. I do not play "spot the tourist" as a game nor is it my belief that anyone who responded to my question treats it as a mean spirited game. However, I do thank you for the reminder that one of the most becoming things anyone can "wear" is kindness.

My question was inspired out of a desire to respect the place I will be and the other patrons who will be there with me. The answers I got were all honest opinions which acknowledged my desire to fit in to the best of my ability.

Thank you all for helpful responses. I can't wait to visit New York again!

P.S. I may pull off enough style to fool some, but once they hear my drawl, the illusion will be shattered! ROFL!

Oh puleeze, seagulls and madeleinerose,

You're getting carried away and taking me too literally. I don't look at tourists in their Tweety Bird tee's and shorts and laugh outloud and point a finger at them. The "snickering" is internal.

Since I live near Grand Central Station and the Empire State building I see tourists on a daily basis. And I am VERY nice to them. I often go up to them and ask them if I can help and they're very appreciative of my assistance. I travel a lot and know what it's like not to know your way around. I'm happy to help anyone visiting my wonderful city. But why so many of these folks look like they're dressed to wash the car or do some gardening work is beyond me. But if they want to dress that way, it's their business. And if NYers enjoy the diversion of "spot the tourist", it's ours. No one gets hurt.

But when they want to walk into nice restaurants or go to the theatre dressed that way, they do get snickered at. And in the case that greatam observed, they got refused for service and to be honest, I'm glad they did.

I was on a NYC theatre tour back in 1996 - we decided that we wanted to get dressed up in evening gowns and make a grand entrance to phantom our first night - boy were we embarrased! We were waaaayyyy over dressed. Stick to the simple little black dress or evening pants, skip the beads or sequins!

Hope you have a fabulous time - take plenty of tissues (especially if you go see Miss Saigon).

An evening gown at a Broadway show will draw a lot of looks as it's over the top. It's even too dressy for the ballet which gets a better dressed crowd than the theatre.

The "Little Black Dress" is a great choice for an evening in NYC. Wear the right shoes and purse and you'll really blend. :-)

Jane

Archived