when should I cruise the Med for smooth seas?

We've been to the Med before - once in early September and then again in mid-September. Now we're considering cruising on one of Oceania's small ships and can choose from either a sailing in mid-April, late May, or early June. Since I'm prone to seasickness, I'm more concerned with smooth seas than local temperatures.

Any comments on time of year and sea conditions in the Med in the Spring?

Just returned from Carnival's Freedom, from 4/19-5/1 and we only had one night (about 3rd in) that the ship was rocking some, otherwise great weather and smooth waters the rest of the trip.

We have experienced very rough and completely calm seas in May. Apart from when looking out the windows (scary!) you would not have known it was rough out there, the larger ships stabalise well.

We have sailed the med various times of the year and in general the seas as calm but there is always a chance of some rough seas. But, whether you go in April, May or some other time would not be a big factor.

My wife and I just returned from a world cruise which included a few weeks in the med in April. I would highly recommend this time of the year because the weather was mild and many ports had signficantly less tourists than you would have in May or for the rest of the summer.

Keith

We just returned from our Med cruise from Lisbon to Athens in April and had calm seas all the way. Prior to that, we crossed the Atlantic from Rio to Lisbon and it was very smooth, except for short period of rough seas around Gibraltar. But of course, like with weather, you never know just how the sea will be.

Archived