Canadian currency

YooperGale

Hi,

Forgive me if I've asked this before, but does anyone know if the taxis in Vancouver will take US dollars--or do we need Canadian money?

Also, should we make taxi arrangements from the airport to our hotel in advance?

Thanks,

Gale

I was told that taxi's in Vancouver will not take US dollars. We took about $100 Canadian for our day and one half there and also for Victoria. Credit cards are accepted. You will not see many US dollars being used! I have hear that some taxi's will take credit cards, but we didn't want to take the chance, and took Canadian $$.

I'm not from Vancouver BC but I'm a Canadian in Ontario. Everyone loves American money here. I would say no it wouldn't be a problem. That said, I wouldn't expect them to change the rate for you into American. If it's $20 Canadian, expect them to ask for $20 American then, is my best assessment. If you're really concerned, go to the bank and just get some cash converted into Canadian money for whatever you think the taxi will cost. Add a tip and you should be fine.

Hi,

Forgive me if I've asked this before, but does anyone know if the taxis in Vancouver will take US dollars--or do we need Canadian money?

Also, should we make taxi arrangements from the airport to our hotel in advance?

Thanks,

Gale

Honestly, not trying to be rude but would an American cab take Canadian $$? Absolutely not. Cabs in Canada may but is it really that hard to go to the bank and pick some up?

My experience has been that most places will take American Dollars, but will give you a really horrible exchange rate. There are ATMs in the airport that dispense Canadian currency (the usual "not my bank" surcharge of a couple of dollars). We usually take the limo/town car service from the Vancouver airport, as the rates are not much more than a taxi, roomier, can get more luggage in. YVR has limojet as the exclusive limo service, and you don't need reservations.

On May 4, 2007, near Canada Place we changed US $$40 and were given a rate of 1US$=1.1Cdn$. The airporter shuttle was also accepting US$ from Canada Place to Airport at the 1 to 1.1 rate. Last year, the cabs were accepting US$ at parity although the official rate at that time was 1US$ = 1.2Cdn$. /Sultan

Honestly, not trying to be rude but would an American cab take Canadian $$? Absolutely not. Cabs in Canada may but is it really that hard to go to the bank and pick some up?

US dollars are worth more than Canadian dollars, but I imagine any town near an international border is used to taking currencies from both countries.

Generally the best exchange rate you can get is either using a credit card or at an ATM machine. ATMs are all over the place - I am sure there is one (if not more) both at the Vancouver airport and at Canada Place.

I would not purchase foreign currency in advance since the rate and/or charges are usually worse. Even when I was in Romania last month, there was an ATM at the airport with a very competitive rate.

Archived