What's your favorite workout onboard?

What is your favorite workout at sea?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite workout at sea?

• Treadmill
    • Stationary bike
    • Running on deck
    • Weightlifting
    • Yoga
    • Spin Class
    • Shipshape activities
    • Walking
    • Other

Planning on using the rowing machine on the Legend in May. Assuming of course the montior works as Schwinn rowers I've used in the past have had poorly maintained monitors. Otherwise, it's weights and stairmaster. I find the work you do on elipitical machines doesn't really coorelate to your actual efforts because once you start, like a treadmill, the machine is providing the power, HR monitors are way off, and watts are a joke. In rowing, it's you and you alone turning the flywheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a 7-day cruise in the Caribbean Princess at the beginning of February. I must say that I quite enjoyed my run on the treadmill on our sea day. There was just enough ship motion to periodically throw us all off balance at the same time. It was like watching a line of runners try to run drunk.

I haven't laughed so hard during a run ever!

But for those of you who like to combine your vacation with running, you should check out Cruise to Run (http://www.cruisetorun.com). There was an organised run/race on each island we stopped at. Fantastic trip. My wife and I are going back again next year.

I love to do aqua aerobics and find that is keeps me in semi-decent shape. I would love to do it while on a cruise but unfortunately the princess cruise that I went on did not offer it. Has anyone ever found it to be an option?

My absolute favorite is running the grand stairs. My first cruise we actually did this as part of a class with a marvelous instructor. we started at level 4 and went up to 5, back to 4. up to 6 back to 4. up to 7, back to 4 etc. when we got to 17, we did 4 to 17 to 4 3 times. It was a blast!!!! but now I just do it by myself.

• 4 weeks later...
My absolute favorite is running the grand stairs. My first cruise we actually did this as part of a class with a marvelous instructor. we started at level 4 and went up to 5, back to 4. up to 6 back to 4. up to 7, back to 4 etc. when we got to 17, we did 4 to 17 to 4 3 times. It was a blast!!!! but now I just do it by myself.

Stairs are a great idea. We usually use the stairs instead of the elevator, but never thought about including them in a workout. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

We just got back from a 7 day cruise on the Crown Princess. We used the elevator only once when we embarked. We did express check out and we thought we would have to take the elevator again, but there was such a wait we decided to just schlepp our 4 bags down the flights of stairs. OMG! One time we wanted to take the elevator and we couldn't!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are going on the Valor in November, can someone confirm the length of the track? I'll be taking advantage of the gym for sure, but would love to get a couple of my runs in on track/open deck.

I did a search and found thread saying 10 laps for a mile. That sound right? So to get a 5k in would be about 32-33 laps?

I will be lifting weights and doing some sort of cardio for sure. I hope Radiance of the Seas has Ellipticals, because I have an IT Band problem that flares up if I do too much running.

Fight on!

We are going on the Valor in November, can someone confirm the length of the track? I'll be taking advantage of the gym for sure, but would love to get a couple of my runs in on track/open deck.

I did a search and found thread saying 10 laps for a mile. That sound right? So to get a 5k in would be about 32-33 laps?

Hey Sadallnct- I will also be on the Valor in November. We are on the cruise leaving 11/1/09. Will be working out while on the ship.

• 1 month later...
I love running on the track as well.

I have never taken any fitness classes on board.

Does anyone know if they charge for those? We will be sailing the Sensation in August.

Running on the track is one thing I missed on our last cruise. My wife and I have done that on past cruises, but she had been having some medical issues. All my running was done on the treadmill, which it's too bad. The view on RCCL ships is awesome! But, I'll have to get at least one outside run in next time.

• 2 months later...

Except when we first set foot on board and we are escourted to our cabin, we never take the elevators.

It can be tough at times, especially when you've just eaten 5 courses on deck 3 and your cabin is on deck 12!

Needless to say when we get to a high-up deck, we tend to stay there; you learn not to forget the sunscreen when your cabin is down on deck 2.

But it does help to burn the calories and keep the cardio system up to snuff.

May's the time that, even going up, we reach our floor before someone we passed lower down waiting patiently (and with a low pulse rate) for an elevator.

I read recently of someone who diets hard before they go on a cruise - a pound for every day on board; that way they don't have to be concerned about what they do eat and don't exercise. Good idea.

I read recently of someone who diets hard before they go on a cruise - a pound for every day on board; that way they don't have to be concerned about what they do eat and don't exercise. Good idea.

Sorry but I have to ask. This is a good idea? May I ask why?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had some great yoga classes on board (really). I also like to run on deck, if you can. Princess discourages it or has a teeny tiny track (1/16th of a mile).

I will have to see what HAL offers!

Archived