sea princess/rome tours

maureen B.

Anybody ever do any tours in Rome? We will be on the sea princess 6/30 sailing and wondering whether to book a tour with Princess or do it on our own. We will be in Rome on Sunday, July 8th. Is the vatican even open on Sundays? We would like to see the Collesium and the Vatican. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Maureen

St. Peter's will be open and likely crowded (the Coleseum as well). The museum is closed on Sundays. With a good map or guidebook, Rome is doable on your own. For ca. 10 euros, you can buy a ticket at the train station in Civitavecchia that is good all day, both for the train into Rome as well as for the bus and metro within Rome. If you have never been to Rome and want to cover a lot of ground, a tour might be better.

Hello Maureen, we will be on your cruise as well. We decided to splurge on a private driver/guide for Rome. He will pick us up at the port and bring us back after a full days tour in Rome. I was really bummed when I realized that we would be there on a Sunday. I was looking forward to seeing the Sistine Chapel...oh well ! Marilyn :)

Hello Maureen, we will be on your cruise as well. We decided to splurge on a private driver/guide for Rome. He will pick us up at the port and bring us back after a full days tour in Rome. I was really bummed when I realized that we would be there on a Sunday. I was looking forward to seeing the Sistine Chapel...oh well ! Marilyn :)

Thanks, Marilyn.

This is our first time in Europe. We are taking our two kids, 21 and 18. I, too, was a little dismayed to find out we were in Rome on a Sunday. From what I understand, you may visit the Vatican, but not the museums as they will be closed. Does anyone have any guides or tours they recommend? Thanks, Maureen

This is ROME, the eternal city! You have GOT to see it all, but don't try to do it on your own. It is a confusing mass of humanity everywhere! And lines, lines, lines!

A good guided tour will zip you in and out of all the most important tourist sites at jet speed ... but at least you will see every 5* attraction! When you get home, you don't want someone to say, "Did you see the Sistine Chapel?" and have to say, "well, no, there was a line ..."

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks everyone for your replies. If anyone knows of a tour company or tour guide that is reputable, please let me know. What makes Rome difficult is our stop there is on a Sunday, so the tour company I was planning on using isn't available. All help is appreciated. Again, Thanks, Maureen

Thanks everyone for your replies. If anyone knows of a tour company or tour guide that is reputable, please let me know. What makes Rome difficult is our stop there is on a Sunday, so the tour company I was planning on using isn't available. All help is appreciated. Again, Thanks, Maureen

I know friends who have used the following with rave reviews:

http://www.romecabs.com/

http://www.driverinrome.com/

There really is plenty to see in Rome with out the Vatican Museum being open.

There should be a port bus that deposits you at the entry to the port. From there, turn right and follow the seaside avenue for about ten minutes. The train station will be on your left, across the street. The train takes about 45 minutes to the St. Peter's station and about an hour to Termini. But, be warned, Sundays are crowded in Rome and take that into account. There are some good websites about visiting Rome. Also go to the Europe/Mediterranean port of call section on Cruise Critic for some excellent information. If you take the train, be sure to validate your ticket in the machine before getting on the train! There is a big fine for having an unvalidated ticket. Two years ago, we were lucky!

Archived