Cooking classes onboard

CruiserDoc

We did it and loved it. Sign up immediately upon boarding, especially with a group of 8. On the Volendam we had a choice of 3 different classes, 12 to a class. We were able to get into the very popular "Rustic French Dinner" class- cooked Chicken Provencal and Alsatian Ham-and-Gruyere Salad for lunch. Best meal we had on the ship!

It was all hands-on chopping, slicing, sauteeing and a lot of laughing. All 12 of us had a ball and made new friends. The chef was great and answered any cooking questions we had while we were doing all the work! We had our pictures taken and received our official aprons and chef hats. Someone else posted here that they received the HAL cookbook also though we did not. No wine, but I bet you could bring your own.

I highly recommend, at least from our experience. :)

Can anyone tell me a bit about these? Would this be a fun activity for a group of 8 of us traveling together? Is there wine served during the class? Is it mostly a social event or serious cooking?

Thanks!!

I second Peaches' post!

Yes, it definitely would be a fun activity for a group traveling together! Do sign up the day you board, as class size is limited, and the classes tend to fill up quickly. You can sign up with either the front desk staff or the Neptune Lounge concierges. I would characterize the cooking classes as more of a social event, although I did pick up some new recipes and chopping techniques:) We took the class with our 17-year-old daughter, and we all enjoyed it very much. For our class, we made some very tasty martinis called Lemony Fresh Herb Coolers to which a shot of rum and a shot of vodka was added for those who wished:) (Not for my daughter, however!;) )

Karin

Based on my experience, I don't think this would work for a group as large as 8, unless you knew ahead of time that they will probably break the group down in to pairs. The various aspects of preparation of the menu are explained up front by the chef (usually the executive chef from the Pinnacle Grill) Not eveyone does the same tasks at the same time - facilities and food supplies are limited - like one refrigerator, 3 or 4 induction cook tops. So we were broken into pairs and assigned certain preparation tasks. Then it will all come together and you will taste the final products. Usually, an appetizer, entree and dessert. For people not used to working with others in a kitchen it can be, and was for me, somewhat disconcerting but fun.:) :)

Maybe it is done differently on different ships. We were broken into groups of 4 working at different tasks, but were all working at the same island the entire time. My group was chopping onions and other ingredients for the stew and browning the chicken. Another was preparing the ham and cheese for the salad and making the dressing. But we all were together at the island and everyone had a job, yet the group was working together. Chef had all the ingredients/utensils/pans organized on the island so no one was running around the kitchen. We thought it very well done, with a minimum of confusion, and a group of 8 would be perfect. I believe we had 10.

The woman who talked to us on the Volendam said that 3 items were to be prepared and that they were broken down into 3 groups of 4. Each group prepared a different item.

These cooking classes seem to vary from ship to ship.

Some have gotten to eat what they made while others didn't.

How do you know what classes are available? Do you find out when you sign up or did you know ahead of time?

The information will be available on the ship from the front desk staff, or if you are in one of the Deluxe Verandah Suites or Penthouse Suites, you can get the information from the Neptune Lounge concierge.

Someone else posted here that they received the HAL cookbook also though we did not. :)

Hi Peaches - I'm the one who posted about getting a cookbook, and wanted to clear it up for readers of this post. We didn't get THE cookbook - just a binder with some special recipes. My original post on the subject turned out to be a bit misleading, and I apologize for that.

As for the class itself - like everyone else, we loved it!

If you are in a suite -- don't wait for the concierge to sign you up. Many times they get very busy on the first day and can't make the call right away to the front office to you up for the class. Since the classes are limited to 12 you are better off going directly to the front office yourself the minute you get on the ship and sign up then.

Sign up at the front desk -- there'll be a sign-up sheet for each class and the menu of dishes prepared fro each class. The classes are held if at least six people sign up for a class. Demand for the classes can be hit or miss. On our last two cruises, we signed up for two classes each cruise and had one class canceled on each cruise -- not enough people signed up. With a group of eight, that won;t happen to you. It is a good time, but remember you eat what you cook, so do eat too much before going to the class. There will be plenty of food to eat there.

Hi Peaches - I'm the one who posted about getting a cookbook, and wanted to clear it up for readers of this post. We didn't get THE cookbook - just a binder with some special recipes. My original post on the subject turned out to be a bit misleading, and I apologize for that.

As for the class itself - like everyone else, we loved it!

Thanks for the clarification. We only got a copy of the 3 recipes we prepared. (Actually the chef had pre-cooked our dessert- 'Fallen Prune Souffle' because of obvious time constraints. Don't let the prunes scare you; it was delicious.)

I wish we had received what you did though. I would love to have seen what other classes have done. Did you get the Rustic French Dinner 'Chicken Provencal' recipe? It was absolutely wonderful and I would be glad to email it to you if it wasn't in your binder. :)

Hurried on last year and went immediately to Front Desk to sign up for class. DD and I decided on Christmas Cookies class, as both of us love cookies. Somehow I lost the little pink slip, so when we went to class we were not on the roll, I ended up upset and frantically searching the cabin and did not attend class.

That said, I will do it again at Christmas and hold on to that little pink slip with a vengence. Several others who took the classes, and some took all 3, had a great time.

Linda

Did you get the Rustic French Dinner 'Chicken Provencal' recipe? It was absolutely wonderful and I would be glad to email it to you if it wasn't in your binder. :)

Thanks for the email offer, Peaches - I'd love to have that recipe. My email is in a link here in my signature.

I hate to admit that I'm not sure where my binder of recipes is right now. After looking through it we decided to pick up the REAL cookbook (A Taste of Excellence) the next time we were on a ship. Turned out that trip was under Code Red and shopping was just too much of a hassle - having to wear plastic gloves and being eagle-eyed by the clerk till we finally just left.

We'll have another chance to buy that onboard, and won't be intimidated this time! Thanks again for the recipe offer!

On Zuiderdam first week of April:

There were two different kinds of cooking classes:

1. There were two "cooking demonstrations" in the Queen's Lounge. Basically anybody could show up and watch the chef cook. Honestly, it was a little hard to understand him... you had to pay close attention.

2. There was one "cooking class" offered at 2:00 one afternoon. It was never advertized. I went down to the front desk on the first day and signed up. The class was $29. It was limited to twelve people. One man showed up and begged in... so we had 13. We all stood around the cook island on the Queen's stage. Each was given a chance to participate in some way multiple times. Again, language was a bit of a problem, so at times it was hard to follow what was being instructed at the other end. This class was NOT taught by the executive chef. We did get individual tips on how to cut and how the kitchen uses scraps to flavor other dishes which was interesting. The class time went very quickly. We made appetizer, a rice dish and lamb chops.

Everyone enjoyed the cooking activity and taking pictures. We really weren't given much of an opportunity to sample the appetizer... so we each got a bite. Then we were taken to the the restaurant and seated and were given the rice and chops all plated up. None of us in the group expected that.

Would certainly do it again... just wish we could have eaten our class project earlier than 3:30... because obviously I had to eat again three hours later!

Archived