Enchantment of the Seas Review - May 3 Sailing

Sorry for the long review :) - but I wanted to be thorough!

Just returned from the Enchantment May 3 sailing to Key West and Cozumel. Had a great time overall! Captain: Gunner Oien; Cruise Director: Carly Boileau. This was Carly’s last cruise on the Enchantment – she is going to another RCL ship (Serenade, maybe?). She was great – those who will sail with her are in for a treat.

Us: me, my sister, and our parents. My parents have both cruised before (Carnival/RCL), I have cruise once (Princess), and this was my sister’s first.

Cabin: we had connecting inside cabins on Deck 4, right through the door leading to the Champagne Bar/Centrum. I loved this location – it was perfect! We were close to everything. Unfortunately (but not a big deal), my parents were one cabin away from being in the new section – so we were all stuck with the fabulous shower curtains :). Our steward was okay, nothing spectacular. It took quite a long time to get the door open between our cabins. But, nothing to complain of necessarily, just nothing to praise, either. We did get some pretty cute towel animals!

Dining Room: we chose the second seating (8:30 PM), and this was perfect for us. We had a table for four on Deck 5. Our servers – Reynaldo and Aliston – were great! It’s tough to get to know the guests on a four night cruise, but Reynaldo and Aliston remembered our preferences and did a great job.

Day 1

We left from north of Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale early Thursday morning and arrived at the port around 12:45 PM. We checked some of our bags and parked the car in the parking garage (had to take a shuttle back to the pier). We had to wait a bit in a “holding” area before we could get inside to check-in. But, all-in-all, it took about 20 minutes after we walked into the door until we boarded the ship. Not bad at all!

Our rooms were open and available, so we dropped our things off, and then headed out to explore. We took about 1.5 hours and walked around the entire ship – finally ending in the Windjammer for a late lunch. Muster drill was at 4:30 – it was painless and easy. Then we headed up to the pool deck to get a frozen drink and watch the sail-away from FLL. It was a little overcast, but it was the only time it was like that the entire cruise. As we were pulling out into the open sea, four military fighter planes flew right over the ship – I’m sure this was just a coincidence, but it was pretty darn neat.

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show at 7:45 for all guests. Good intro to the staff and the comedian on board, Phil Palisoul, did a short show. Headed to dinner after that. Watched some karaoke in the Spotlight Lounge, and saw the “Almost Village People” in the Viking Crown Lounge. Funny stuff :).

Day 2 – Key West

We got up early since the ship docked in KW at 7:00 AM. Wanted to have the full day. Ate in the Windjammer – great selection for breakfast. Off the ship at about 7:45/8:00. We decided to walk down to the southernmost point – it took about 45 minutes or so. We took the token photo-op, and headed back up Duvall Street. Stopped several times – to get some coffee, hit a CVS, and took a detour to see the cemetery. Continued up Duvall and stopped into Margaritaville, Sloppy Joe’s, and Hog’s Breath. Didn’t drink at any of them, just wanted to see the atmosphere. Then – we had one of the best desserts I have ever had – frozen key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate from the Blonde Giraffe. This was AMAZING! I highly recommend it. We also stopped in Peppers of Key West and Key West Aloe – bought some of the homemade hot sauce and some after-sun aloe lotion (which came in handy for my sunburn :)). We then walked into Mallory Square and took some good pictures of the ship. Were back on the Enchantment at about 1:00 PM for a 2:00 PM sailing. I really enjoyed Key West. I grew up in Tampa (where my parents still live), and none of us had ever been to the Keys. My parents are already talking about taking a trip down to Naples/Ft. Meyers where you can catch a ferry to Key West for the weekend.

Hung out on the pool deck for several hours. We watched the belly flop competition – always a riot. After we’d had enough sunning, we headed inside to get ready for formal night. I was pleasantly surprised with the attire on formal night – most everyone was dressed appropriately. I would say it was more semi-formal than formal, but it was a great atmosphere. Went to the Captain’s Welcome Reception for some free champagne and got our pictures taken. After dinner we went to the show – Can’t Stop the Rock. I thought this was a great production! Stayed put after it ended and watched the comedian do his “late-night” show at midnight – very funny!

Day 3 – Cozumel

The Enchantment was supposed to dock at 10 AM in Cozumel, but we didn’t get the all-clear signal until about 10:30ish. We were just finishing up in the Windjammer and headed down to the Deck 1 gangway. There was a line to get off the ship, but it went by fairly quickly. The Enchantment was docked at the International Pier.

I had made reservations to spend the day at Playa Uvas. The four of us jumped in a cab and the cabbie took us to Uvas for $10 ($12 with a tip). We had an amazing day! Carmen greeted us, and introduced us to Raoul, who would be our waiter for the day. We had booked the snorkel tour with an open bar since we wanted to order on our own from the menu. Not too many people there yet, so we laid our stuff down on the front row and got semi-comfortable. We did want to do our snorkeling early in the day so that we could then enjoy the afternoon with a few frozen drinks :). Luis was our snorkeling guide – and he was so great and patient! All four of us went – none of us had ever snorkeled, and a few of us (me included) are fairly intimidated by the ocean. Luis showed us how to use the gear, and we took off for a quick jaunt down the beach to enter the water. We went slow at first, but once we got the hang of it, we had a blast! I really enjoyed snorkeling – we brought along a disposal underwater camera, and took all of the shots! The water is so clear – really beautiful. We didn’t see a ton of fish, but just enough for my first snorkeling experience. Luis ended up staying out in the water with us for over an hour – I didn’t want to come back to land! But alas, we headed back – a great experience!

We ordered some lunch – shared some tacos and quesadillas. Very good! Drinks were good, but not very strong. My sister and I both purchased two necklaces from Sol – she has beautiful jewelry! Uvas is a great destination just to see her products. My sister and I each also did a 15 minute massage with Luz – very good! Wish it could have been longer, but our day at Uvas was ending. We packed up, caught a cab (waiting right outside the entrance), and had the cab drop us off at the City Center to do some shopping ($10). We walked from the City Center to Punta Lagosta, hitting some stores on the way. Stopped in Carlos and Charlie’s – again, just to see the atmosphere. Crazy place – but sure seemed like fun! Caught a cab at Punta Lagosta pier to head back to International - $6 for the four of us. We were back on the ship at about 5:45 PM for a 7:00 PM sailing.

After dinner we watched the Love and Marriage game – it was pretty entertaining! Headed out to the pool deck to check-out the deck party and buffet. Only stayed for a few minutes – we were all pretty exhausted, so made it a fairly early night.

Day 4 – At Sea

Woke up and headed to the pool deck. At 10:30ish, there were still a few chairs available, but I’d say they were all taken about an hour after that. I saw quite a few people walking around looking for chairs throughout the mid-day. We stayed around the pool area until late afternoon – it was a sunny day, but pretty windy up on Deck 10 (which is where our chairs were).

We went to the Schooner Bar for Martini Happy Hour – house martinis (Smirnoff) were $5.50. Went to the final show – Stage to Screen – held before dinner for the second seating guests. This production was good, but I preferred the one earlier in the cruise. Several of the musicals they used in this production I hadn’t heard of – but that’s just me. The talent of the dancers/singers was excellent during both productions.

After dinner, we headed to the Spotlight Lounge to watch some more karaoke. Then – the Quest! My first Quest experience – didn’t participate, but it was hilarious! Sat in the Schooner Bar for a while afterwards and listened to the piano player, Anton Bach.

Day 5

We were up and out of the room early and waited in the Orpheum Theater until our color was called – we were called around 9:40. There was no line to get off the ship – very easy!! Grabbed our luggage, went through customs – never a wait! They have it down to a science.

Random thoughts:

I had ordered three bottles of wine from Just Because of You. We brought one bottle to dinner on each of the second, third, and fourth nights. Our waiters opened the bottle without charge (although we did give them a tip for doing this). Didn’t have a problem – we even asked the head waiter if we could do this on the first night, and he said it would be fine.

I wasn’t impressed with the food in the dining room. I think it may have been the options I chose each evening because I think everyone else enjoyed their meals. I did have some good appetizers and desserts, but the entrees were lacking. I preferred the Windjammer food to a few of the entrees I had. (a caveat – I don’t eat seafood, so chose the beef or chicken every night. I was told the seafood selections were very good!)

Caribbean Breeze was great entertainment on the pool deck.

We had great weather and smooth seas. It did get slightly rocky on the night we sailed from Cozumel, but nothing too bad.

I would highly recommend this cruise for those looking for something less than a week long cruise. It is a great cruise to get-away for a long weekend. We had a GREAT time and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Let me know if you have any questions - for those of you sailing the Enchantment soon .... have a great time!!

(I still have my sea legs - I cannot stop rocking!)

I was on the same ship and agree with all that you said. In Cozumel we decided to rent a scooter ($26) and we went through downtown and the interior parts as well (it was very interesting to see the Market-get a chance to talk to the people that actually live there). Then we headed to San Francisco beach. The trip there was very fun on the little scooter! For $8 each we got beach chairs, an umbrella, floaters, and access to the showers, bathroom and pool. We had a lot of fun. My DF had Ceviche there and he loved it. Cozumel was the most fun for us.

Great review. We are on Enchantment June 4-9. We are trying to decide excursions. We think from Belize we'll do the safari thru the jungle on the 10 foot high vehicle. For Cozumel,we are considering the side trip to Tulum and Xel?? Anyone taken these or were there any comments or suggestions? Thanks, Teddy

trip to Tulum and Xel?? Anyone taken these or were there any comments or suggestions?

Thank you very much for your review. My Wife and I are on the June 17, 5 night cruise. Last June we were on the Mariner. Loved the vacation, but the mariner is just a little over the top for me in size, etc. Would do it again, but hoping the Enchantment suits me better.

We are seriously considering Tulum, but everything I've found states that June-August is not the time to go. Way To Hot!, and no place to get shade.

As we were pulling out into the open sea, four military fighter planes flew right over the ship – I’m sure this was just a coincidence, but it was pretty darn neat.

They were in town for the air and sea show that we have down here every year.

Thanks for the review, we were on the Enchantment in January 5 nt and will return again...Glad to hear that Carly is getting a bigger ship, we really enjoyed her...Kermit's in Key West also has the choc. covered key lime pie on a stick (worth every calorie)...On our recent jaunt to St. Augustine there is a kermit's there too so I was able to have that wonderful dessert:D ...Later, Jill:cool:

image.php?u=25407&type=sigpic&dateline=1176215722

Thanks so much for your detailed review. DH & I will also be sailing June 18 on the Enchantment.

Glad to know how long of a walk it is to the southernmost point. This is what my DH and I are planning to do...just walk around and check out the places. I can't wait to try the choc. covered frozen key lime pie. I have never had one but I'm sure it is yummy. ;)

As far as deck loungers, do you know if they are available on all of the decks from the pool deck up? I would like to be a little bit away from the craziness of the pool.

Thanks again for your post. :)

We are seriously considering Tulum, but everything I've found states that June-August is not the time to go. Way To Hot!, and no place to get shade.

It certainly was hot! It was about 90 degrees - and it's still only early May!

Could you hear the music from Bolero's above you? :-)

Ha! Actually - no! I think we were just a room or two away from being able to hear it. We ended up not being in the new section, so never heard a thing!!

As far as deck loungers, do you know if they are available on all of the decks from the pool deck up? I would like to be a little bit away from the craziness of the pool.

The pool deck is Deck 9 - and the only deck above that is Deck 10 (for deck-sitting... the Viking Crown Lounge is above that, but it is all indoors). And yes, there are chairs all over Deck 10. That's where we decided to sit, too - a little away from the crowds, but we could still hear the music, and we actually had a great view of all of the activities going on around the pool (belly flop, Mr. Enchantment of the Seas, etc.). Although, it did get pretty windy on Deck 10 on our sea day when we were moving at a good clip.

Have fun!!

Love2fish, We also wanted to get some loungers on the top deck, because it was so much "breezier" and we weren't much into dipping in the pools, but when we got to the pool area at around 11 am ALL the loungers were taken, both on the pool deck and the top deck.

We ended up laying on the wooden border around the kiddie pool, and to be honest I was a lot more comfortable there than in the lounger I had used the day before. The wind kept blowing litltle spritzes of water on me from the kiddie pool spritzers- very refreshing! Go figure.

We checked some of our bags and parked the car in the parking garage (had to take a shuttle back to the pier).

Is the parking garage a ways from where the ship is docked? Were you required to take the shuttle? Was there a charge? Thanks!

The pool deck is Deck 9 - and the only deck above that is Deck 10 (for deck-sitting... the Viking Crown Lounge is above that, but it is all indoors). And yes, there are chairs all over Deck 10. That's where we decided to sit, too - a little away from the crowds, but we could still hear the music, and we actually had a great view of all of the activities going on around the pool (belly flop, Mr. Enchantment of the Seas, etc.). Although, it did get pretty windy on Deck 10 on our sea day when we were moving at a good clip.

Have fun!!

Cool!! Great information. Thanks again. ;)

We ended up laying on the wooden border around the kiddie pool, and to be honest I was a lot more comfortable there than in the lounger I had used the day before. The wind kept blowing litltle spritzes of water on me from the kiddie pool spritzers- very refreshing! Go figure.

Is there a picture of this area somewhere? Did you find it to be noisey? And did you find the kids to be running into you, etc? I'm looking for a relaxing area to just sit and listen to my Kenny Chesney CDs. :)

Okay, here is a pic of where I was laying (I blurred myself and the other ladies' faces in the background). The picture was taken late in the afternoon when almost everyone was gone from the pool area already:

251663184.jpg

In terms of noise, of course it wasn't as quiet as the top deck, but it wasn't unpleasant. Plus it was convenient for my DF since the bar was close by ;)

The kids were not jumping on me or near me, in fact I found it amusing to see them play at the kiddie pool. And since the border was located between two pools, no one else bothered me either (no neighbouring loungers standing up and down, bringing food and leaving dirty dishes on the floor next to you). By the way, there is no eating or drinking allowed when you are inside the pool (rule obviously broken in this pic...LOL! That's my DF's beer).

I noticed a quite a few ladies actually getting into the kiddie pool and laying on the pool's floor to take some sun while they got spritzed...LOL!

Oh great! Thanks for posting the pic. Now I see what you saying. Hmmm...I'll have to wait until I get there and decide where I'll be sunning.

BTW...you said no food or drink in the POOL. Do you know if a glass of bubbly in a hot tub at night would be allowed? I would LOVE to do this with DH. Ahhh...how romantic. :o

BTW...you said no food or drink in the POOL. Do you know if a glass of bubbly in a hot tub at night would be allowed? I would LOVE to do this with DH. Ahhh...how romantic. :o

I do this on all my cruises and never got yelled at so far. :D

Ashlea - GREAT and thorough review!! I'll be boarding Enchantment one week from today exactly!! :) YAY!!!

About the southernmost point....is it that big of a deal? Do you have a pic of it? We have NO clue what we're doing in Key West, we just want to relax on this cruise and do NOTHING, so we might not even get off the ship. But hearing about that frozen key lime pie, my DH might want to grab one! Can you walk to the Blonde Giraffe??

Oh great! Thanks for posting the pic. Now I see what you saying. Hmmm...I'll have to wait until I get there and decide where I'll be sunning.

I tried to have a drink in the hot tub, ignorant of any rule. Somebody came and said, "No drinks in the hot tub". I'm sure it's posted but my dumb butt didn't read the sign.

I tried to have a drink in the hot tub, ignorant of any rule. Somebody came and said, "No drinks in the hot tub". I'm sure it's posted but my dumb butt didn't read the sign.

I didn't know it was an actual rule....I mean, the bar waiters SERVE you in the hot tubs!! lol

Is the parking garage a ways from where the ship is docked? Were you required to take the shuttle? Was there a charge? Thanks!

It depends on which dock the ship is docked at and which terminal at Port Everglades. When we were leaving, we were at a termimal where it was too far to walk and had to take a shuttle - no charge (I guess you could have walked, but since the shuttle was there and available, not sure you need to). But when we arrived back in Ft. Lauderdale, we were at a different terminal and could easily walk back to the parking garage.

About the southernmost point....is it that big of a deal? Do you have a pic of it? We have NO clue what we're doing in Key West, we just want to relax on this cruise and do NOTHING, so we might not even get off the ship. But hearing about that frozen key lime pie, my DH might want to grab one! Can you walk to the Blonde Giraffe??

Southernmost point isn't THAT exciting, I suppose :). More just a point of interest. It's basically just a big thing that looks like a buoy painted red, white, and yellow that says "Southernmost Point." I'll try to post a picture at some point. You'd be okay skipping it - just an interesting landmark to be able to say "you were there!"

The Blonde Giraffe has several locations throughout Key West - we went to the one on Greene Street. The brochure that RCL gave us for our day in KW had the Blonde Giraffe as one of the stores to hit, and it included three (I think) different locations. Just did a quick google search and came up with this: http://www.blondgiraffe.com/contactus.htm. You can definitely walk to one of the locations from the port (especially Greene Street) - you can really walk everywhere in KW that is of interest to us "tourists." :)

My suggestion for Key West would be to wing it. Just get off the ship and wander - you can't go wrong if you head up or down Duvall - so many shops/restaurants/bars. Get off the beaten path for a little bit to see some neat architecture and homes. We walked by the Truman White House and the Hemingway House just to see the outsides and take some pictures (cannot really see the Hemingway House because it has a wall around it). I had printed some maps off of the computer before we left so I could see where everything was - we didn't have a set plan... just went with the flow!! Key West is very pretty - I would definitely go back for a weekend trip.

Edit: found this picture online of the southernmost point - http://goflorida.about.com/library/bls/bl_photo_keywest11.htm. Not much to it!!

Archived