Just back from the Baltic on Voyager

alibee

Hi,

We were on the Voyager on the July 16, 2004, sail from Stockholm. We also stayed at the Hilton Slussen on the Executive level in Stockholm. It has a great view of the city from the Executive lounge. They had a large breakfast buffet downstairs which was included. In addition, we stayed at the Marriott Copenhagen, Executive level (Thank goodness for hotel points!!!) Once again it had a lovely view and nice assortment of goodies. In addition, it had a computer with free internet.

The only ship tour we did was the Moscow trip. Well worth it. The other two days were spent with another lovely couple we met through CC. Our Red October guide was Elena and she was fabulous. 3 full days in Russia - exhausting but it made for a trip of a lifetime.

The other ports were on our own. Helsinki - was so so (we did the hop on hop off bus.)

Tallin was after Russia and it was a nice surprise. Lovely city and we just wandered at a leisurely pace.

We loved Stockholm. We spent 3 days there prior to the cruise. Lots to see and do.

Copenhagen - Hop on hop off bus again to get an orientation of the city. We stayed 2 days and were ready to come home. We ate at a great restaurant call Cafe Victor (near the Angleterre Hotel).

Ah, the Voyager. We loved the ship. Didn't have much time to spend on it since the itinerary is very port intensive. We had 1 sea day which required a massage and facial. This was our first but not last cruise on Radisson. The crew was great.

Have a wonderful time!

Miriam

PG - December 28, 2005

Hi Kwaj Girl,

Welcome aboard! Great to find another cruiser. We're doing the four day Moscow pre-cruise, so we won't get to Stockholm until the night before we board.

My parents are coming on BRAVO as well. They're skipping Moscow and flying to Stockholm a few days early, I think. Dad travelled internationally for business for many years, so I think he's still got miles he can use to upgrade.

Don't know the route yet. Todd and I don't have enough frequent flyer miles for business class, drat it, so we'll probably just have RSSC deal with the aggravation of booking the flights. When I checked prices, everything was within about $50 of their price.

We'll be leaving from Philly. Not sure of anything else at this stage of the game.

Looking forward to chatting with you all somemore about the trip.

Alibee, I shared the post with some of my co-workers. They left Russia as refugees during the soviet era and absolutely howled at the RO guide's comment that Jews were free to practice their religion.

Interesting item, did you know their passports didn't list them as soviet citizens? They were listed as "JEW". As you can imagine, they have lots of interesting stories to tell.

Kathy

Thanks, Miriam, for sharing the details of your trip. I hope as I get further into our planning that I might be able to consult with you further!

Kathy, I find what you wrote about your coworkers to be very interesting. Certain things have not and most likely will never change in that part of the world! They're very fortunate to be living in the U.S.A!

I do hope that all of us sailing on August 6 can pool our resources and plans. Very much looking forward to meeting you all!

Miriam,

How easily accessible to the major sights in Stockholm is the Hilton? We really enjoy walking and hope that much of what we plan to see is within walking distance. However, from the map of Stockholm, Slussen appears to be off the beaten path, somewhat.

We are planning to use Red October for our touring in St. Petersburg. We have a group forming on this cruise and costs for touring should be reasonable. Hopefully, our guide will be as good as yours was.

Thanks!

Nyfeds,

We walked all over Stockholm - including the Vasa Museum (which was a hike). In hindsight, I wish we would have taken the hop on hop off bus. Then again, burning off calories before a cruise is a good thing.... We purchased a Stockholm card which gave us entrances to the museums and a canal cruise.

The Hilton is across the river from the old city. Our first night there, we walked to a good restaurant called "The 5 little houses" - The swedish name escapes me at the moment. We ran into a few couples who were also going on Radisson. We ended up walking to the Ice Bar. (Yeah, it's a tourist thing but heck, we were tourist and it made for some great pictures/stories) We took a cab back to the hotel.

Red October is great. We had lunch in a Russian restaurant after visiting Catherine's Palace the 1st day. The 3rd day we had lunch with a Russian family. I am so glad that we decided to do this. It provided an opportunity to talk to our hostess and RO guide in a relaxed atmosphere. The food was fine but it really wasn't the focus. I would recommend this option for anyone considering a RO tour.

If you have another other questions, please let me know. I could go on and on about this trip.

Miriam

Thanks, again, Miriam, for answering my questions.

The hop on and off bus sounds like it may be a good option. Does this bus stop close to Hilton? I believe the Vasa Museum is located near the ship. A friend who had visited Stockholm last year told me that (I think).

Purchasing a Stockholm card will be a must for us.

I will certainly check out the restaurant you suggested, as well. We're always interested in great places to dine.

Very much looking forward to touring with Red October, as I've heard such positive feedback. I do agree that spending some time with your guide in a more casual setting, such as lunch, enriches your experiences on a more personal level. We're also hoping to experience the train system in St. Petersburg, as we've heard it's an incredible experience. Did you do this?

We'd also like to plan an evening outing to the ballet or other cultural event. Did you do this?

What did you think of Helsinki? We're still undecided as to whether or not we'll opt for the ship's excursion or go it by ourselves. I see you took the hop on and off bus there. How accessible was this to where you docked?

I am sure there will be more questions along the way. Thanks for taking the time answer them! I really appreciate it!

Denise

Denise,

We didn't see a Hop On/Off bus stop near the Hilton. We did see the buses as we were hiking along (we had some beautiful sunshine!) The bus looked especially appealing after we walked to the Vasa. It was not a biggie, we jumped on some public transport which was easy.

Not sure how close the Vasa is to the ship. We took a cab to the ship and passed it.

Helsinki - It can easily be done on your own. There is a Hop On/Off bus stop near the pier but we walked into the city center and stopped in the open air market first. It stops near all the major sites. We did "hop off" near the ship.

St. Petersburg - we did not go on the subway, visit a supermarket or attend any evening events. (We did add the WWII War Memorial & the Gold Room at the Hermitage. The museum, inside the WWII War Memorial, was closed so we just walked around the structure) Our guide told us about how her grandmother survived the seige. Incredible stories.

Day 1 was a full 10-11 hr day with our RO guide and another couple. Day 2 - Moscow (long day) but well worth it, in my opinion. There was a lot of travel time but then again, how often will you get to see this part of the world? Being in Red Square, the Kremlin, etc was unreal (especially growing up in the cold war era). This excursion (there were about 6-7 bus loads) made us appreciate the private tour through RO even more. There was an option of shopping at GUM or going to a Russian museum. We decided on the museum. Some of those who choose the additional shopping were disappointed because it was predominately stores you could find at home, La Perla, Ralph Lauren, etc. They thought it was going to be more "Russian." Day 3 was 9 more hours in St Petes - loved every minute.

Feel free to email me with questions: azstatedvl@yahoo.com

Have fun planning!

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

Great information! Thank you.

I do think when at all possible, private guides are the way to go. We always opt for that if we aren't doing our own thing.

I also appreciate you posting your email address. I will definetly contact you with further questions.

Denise

• 4 weeks later...

We went to the Baltic on Radisson Voyager August 20-27, and had a great time. As soon as we returned home, I had many pressing things to do, and now I'm in the middle of the Christmas preparations. I will be writing a journal of our trip in January 2005. If you are interested in reading it, look for it then.

NYfeds

Our Baltic cruise originated in Stockholm, so

we spent a few days exploring the city pre cruise.

Very much enjoyed the leisurely upscale dinner

at Paul & ?Norbert's....located next to the

Diplomat Hotel. Hope you find time to try it.

I will be looking forward to reading your journal.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. You can never have too many recommendations.

Our first cruise was on Radisson's Navigator to Alaska. You will love it. I think Alaska is a great experience for everyone. Navigator was a perfect ship to get up close and personal with a glacier.

Ellen, when are you going to the Baltics?

Archived