Side of ship

Rammer

Can someone tell me what side of the ship to be on for best sunshine when doing a transatlantic crossing during the summer months,from New York to England,.Both eastern and western crossing.Thanks.

Can someone tell me what side of the ship to be on for best sunshine when doing a transatlantic crossing during the summer months,from New York to England,.Both eastern and western crossing.Thanks.

I believe the sunny side of the ship is starboard for the eastbound crossing and port for the westbound one....I will be doing an eastbound crossing next month and chose the starboard side both for this reason and as that is the side from which you see the Statue of Liberty, etc. as the ship sails away from NY...

I have found that you don't get that much more sun on either side as the sun is mostly overhead - howerver, the advice already given is generally correct - port side on westbound, starboard on east. I HAVE noticed that if you are in a stern cabin, there may be lots of afternoon sun when going EB and morning sun when going WB. (Hope I got that right, being directionally chalenged!)

It also depends on the ship taking the southerly or northerly route.

But above all, it depends on the weather, so often foggy and gray, with the sun just about invisible. Crossings are not for sunseekers.

How or when do you know wether the ship will be taking the northerly or the southerly route, or is that also an eastbound/westbound thing?

Thanks

During the summer/fall/spring cruise lines tend to take the Northern route and the winter the Southern.

When going to Europe you travel east bound and west bound going to the US.

The Northen route is shorter(its a great circle route) and the southern is longer but in winter less ice.

It's my understanding that it is always desirable to take the shortest route on a crossing; allows more leeway to make destination on time, and uses less fuel - huge factor nowadays. However, if there is bad weather on the northern Great Circle Route, (the shortest) or some other factor that would slow down the ship, e.g. ice, then the southern route becomes more desirable...

Archived