Scuba St Lucia doesn't cater to cruise diver/snorkelers

Middleager

We'll be on Carnival Destiny and I've been arranging to dive for myself and snorkel for my wife and friends at the various ports. In St. Lucia (where we'll be 8am-5pm), when I contacted Scuba St. Lucia at Anse Chastenet, they quoted a high package price for pickup/lunch/dive. But the big problem is they insist on a shore check-out dive first, where they want to check your basic skills (and specifically stated "mask removal", "regulator recovery", etc.), then they have a 1-tank afternoon boat dive at 1:45pm. No, they won't let you on a morning 2-tank boat dive.

I explained that I'm PADI AOW will be diving in Puerto Rico (La Parquera walls, Desecheo island, etc.), USVI St. Thomas, Dominica, and Barbados, before reaching St. Lucia, and I have my own gears. But they said no exception. They'll need to check me out in the shore check-out dive. I had wanted to a land tour to see highlights of St. Lucia in the remaining time after a morning 2-tank dive. But their schedule won't allow that.

There is a separate $85 package price for snorkelers, but that's only for you to snorkel yourself. To go on a guided snorkel trip, there's an extra charge. But even if that's booked, they cannot guarantee the trip, as they give priority to resort guests.

So basically they are saying if you are a cruiser, you can come and pay a high price, but you are not a priority to be served. No exception but you need to be checked out for your mask removal/regulator recovery skills first. For snorkelers, also don't expect to go on a guided snorkel trip because the resort guests are served first.

Well, I'll be looking elsewhere for St. Lucia.

Try Island Divers at Anse Cochon, it's about half way to Anse Chastenet. They will pick you up near the ship pier, give you 2 dives, lunch, and take you back in time to board the ship. They also have package prices for snorkelers, but I don't think they are guided. I've gone twice with Island Divers and my wife snorkeled while I was diving. We wouldn't hesitate to go with them again.

Denny,

Fuzzy Melton here. I have been looking for your email address but I guess I lost it. We finished our Crown cruise 2 weeks ago and did some amazing diving. Thanks for the info of Divi-Flamingo, we had a great time and saw some amazing sights. We tried to dive Coki Beach but they were closed for a trip to the red sea. I have posted some pictures at http://web.mac.com/fuzzymelton. Send me a note and let me know what you think.

Mark

Archived