Oosterdam Alaska Review 5/5 (HAL Newbie)

USNDiver

Thanks Dave for all the info We sail on the O in just four weeks , and your review has been great. I wasn't sure if I was going to pass along the day of 10 to 15 foot seas to my hubby( this is a man who gets carsick driving) number one thing on do do list for monday. call Dr for seasick patch...I have been looking forward to this trip and your sense of humour has certainly made me drool with anticipation

vickie in phoenix

Dave,

I enjoyed your review. I will be sailing on the "O" in 2 weeks. Just one question. You talked about your early flight. We have a flight that leaves at 10:50 am. Will there be enough time to make it? Should we do the self assist, or let them take the bags the night before? Thanks again for the lovely review.

Jackie

Dave,

I enjoyed your review. I will be sailing on the "O" in 2 weeks. Just one question. You talked about your early flight. We have a flight that leaves at 10:50 am. Will there be enough time to make it? Should we do the self assist, or let them take the bags the night before? Thanks again for the lovely review.

Jackie

Jackie,

I almost hate to try and answer that. We got off at about 8:35 and made the airport a little after 9:00 by taxi. The second day on board they have you fill out a questionaire about your flight time, airline, etc and use this information (I assume) to plan who gets off when. Again, we made the airport in plenty of time BUT we also may have just been lucky. If you do the self assist, it's probably a sure thing. If you have them take your bags, it's probably a little less of a sure thing. Check and see if there's a ball game the day you disembark, this may affect things.

Dave

Dave, we also have an 11:10 AM flight out of Seattle on the morning we disembark from the Noordam. This early flight time is making me a little nervous so I figured we could handle our own luggage to be off the ship as soon as possible. Do you think this is necessary? I am releaved to hear that you had no problems making your flight.

-Brenda

Dave,

Thank you for the info. Looks like the baseball game that day will in San Diego. We had orginally booked the flight to leave around noon. After we purchased tickets Continental changed the times on us. So now it is a bit of a crunch. But I am sure it will be ok.

Can you recommend any restaurants in victoria. I didn't even realize that they had a chinatown. I have researched every port but Victoria.

Jackie

Dave, we also have an 11:10 AM flight out of Seattle on the morning we disembark from the Noordam. This early flight time is making me a little nervous so I figured we could handle our own luggage to be off the ship as soon as possible. Do you think this is necessary? I am releaved to hear that you had no problems making your flight.

-Brenda

Brenda,

I don't think it's necessary. We made the airport in plenty of time, even with HAL handling the luggage, but like I Mentioned, we may have been lucky. I would feel awful if I said you could make it easily and then missed your flight. I say go for it.

Dave

Dave,

So glad you were able to finish the review before we leave in the morning. Any last minute tips for us? Doing Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria on Noordam.

Love your style of writing...hope my review is have as much fun to read,

Dave,

So glad you were able to finish the review before we leave in the morning. Any last minute tips for us? Doing Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria on Noordam.

Love your style of writing...hope my review is have as much fun to read,

Bring a heavy coat, and light waterproof shell (you can actually pick these up CHEAP in the ports, if you need one.) The only other thing I could suggest is

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

Let us know how it went when you get back (I recommend the martini's on board.)

Take care,

Dave

Hi Dave,

And thanks for a great review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Soooooooo, you wore a Kilt for formal nights? You must be a fellow Scot, or at least of Scottish descent. What's your clan affiliation? Because my entire family is Scottish by birth we had several clans to choose from but pretty much ended up wearing either the Robertson (one of the most colorful) or Clan Keith (one of the deadly dullest:D ).

As to Victoria: well, I'll be there at the beginning of August and was thrilled because there is a Titanic exhibition at the National Museum. Now I find out that we won't be docking until at least 6:00 p.m. - bummer! So, are there any shops open late in the evening - Chinatown would be a fun place to shop! There is also a great chocolate shop a couple of blocks from the Empress. With my luck it will probably be closed though.

My late husband was a retired Navy man - 30 years, many of which were spent with the "Silent Force", and I proudly sport a U.S. Submarine Force license plate holder which I picked up at the Sub School in Groton.

Valerie:)

Hi Dave,

And thanks for a great review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Soooooooo, you wore a Kilt for formal nights? You must be a fellow Scot, or at least of Scottish descent. What's your clan affiliation? Because my entire family is Scottish by birth we had several clans to choose from but pretty much ended up wearing either the Robertson (one of the most colorful) or Clan Keith (one of the deadly dullest:D ).

As to Victoria: well, I'll be there at the beginning of August and was thrilled because there is a Titanic exhibition at the National Museum. Now I find out that we won't be docking until at least 6:00 p.m. - bummer! So, are there any shops open late in the evening - Chinatown would be a fun place to shop! There is also a great chocolate shop a couple of blocks from the Empress. With my luck it will probably be closed though.

My late husband was a retired Navy man - 30 years, many of which were spent with the "Silent Force", and I proudly sport a U.S. Submarine Force license plate holder which I picked up at the Sub School in Groton.

Valerie,

Full blooded Scot at this end and. I wear a kilt with the Scottish National Tartan, just because I liked the way it looked more than our Clan one's. When we pulled into Victoria, it seemed that many of the shops were closing up for the night (kind of early for a Friday I thought.) In August though, with more ships/tourists passing through, they may modify their store hours.

Sincerely,

Dave

Bring a heavy coat, and light waterproof shell (you can actually pick these up CHEAP in the ports, if you need one.) The only other thing I could suggest is

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

Let us know how it went when you get back (I recommend the martini's on board.)

Take care,

Dave

Martini's and I seem to find each other no matter WHERE I am!:p As for the kilt....I stage managed a show you should have heard of .... Forever Plaid ... here in Vegas for several years. Luckily one of my tour jackets is both very warm, without being too heavy or bulky, and it's waterproof!! So I think I'll be OK there. THANKS:)

Hi SakeDad! Have a fabulous time in Alaska. Please say hello to your Mom for us. We look forward to seeing you in San Diego very soon.

You've probably left already, and will be reading this onboard the ship. I'm so jealous. We just LOVED Alaska.

:D

Martini's and I seem to find each other no matter WHERE I am!:p As for the kilt....I stage managed a show you should have heard of .... Forever Plaid ... here in Vegas for several years.:)

Hi Nathan,

Forever Plaid was a staple here in San Diego for several years - great show and a ton of fun.

Have a wonderful cruise with your mom. Wishing you fair winds and following seas.

Fantastic review! I wish I had your writing ability. ( I fall asleep proof-reading my own reviews!).

You obviously truly enjoyed your Oosterdam cruise.

Got a chuckle out of your Mercury comments. There was gentleman a couple a months ago trying to decide between a 10 day Mexico on the Mercury and a seven day Oosterdam. He was told by many how the Mercury was an awful ship. He chose the Mercury and when he came back, he wrote a review and told how wonderful it was and the ship was in great condition.

I was able to recommend a very special cabin that I really liked on her and he loved it.

I know he would love the Oosterdam too....he lives in California so he should easily have the chance to sail her. I hope he does.

Again, thanks for the very enjoyable read!:)

PS......maybe you should have titled this review "Navy Gone Wild"....Cribbage and and Bingo and Facials..Oh MY!!

........We tied up with the Golden Princess again and, again, their passengers looked longingly at the Oosterdam. We learned that the "Golden", while not that much bigger than the "O," holds 2600 passengers (and I understand it was at capacity.) Can you say sardine can? .......

Just got off her sister ship, the Diamond.

I had a fantastic time....Large HC cabin and balcony, great food (raspberry creme brulee to die for!) and a wonderful and fun CC group on board.

But,I had a similar impression of the ship....just too big and somehow lacking in personality. When I did a one-night on the Noordam just after leaving the Diamond, I felt I just stepped onto a much classier ship. Very elegant!

Fantastic review! I wish I had your writing ability. ( I fall asleep proof-reading my own reviews!).

You obviously truly enjoyed your Oosterdam cruise.

Got a chuckle out of your Mercury comments. There was gentleman a couple a months ago trying to decide between a 10 day Mexico on the Mercury and a seven day Oosterdam. He was told by many how the Mercury was an awful ship. He chose the Mercury and when he came back, he wrote a review and told how wonderful it was and the ship was in great condition.

I was able to recommend a very special cabin that I really liked on her and he loved it.

I know he would love the Oosterdam too....he lives in California so he should easily have the chance to sail her. I hope he does.

Again, thanks for the very enjoyable read!:)

PS......maybe you should have titled this review "Navy Gone Wild"....Cribbage and and Bingo and Facials..Oh MY!!

Thanks for the nice words. I think you have to take many of these reviews with a very large grain of salt. If you look hard enough, you can find unflattering information about any cruise ship (even the very high end stuff.) I really liked the Mercury, and would sail on her again tomorrow, but I'll give HAL an edge for service.

I'm going to sum up some thoughts on this (hopefully) over the weekend. Check back, I'd value some opinions from HAL veterans.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave: I, too, am so glad that you are truly enjoying every aspect of your cruise!

Side note: About the wrap-around-deck.....If you have a service dog, that is where they put the "potty-box" (forward)....needless to say it was very interesting to watch the looks on the joggers/walkers and lookie-loos, as they journied past the area.....I met some people I may have never met otherwise!;)

Continue to have a glorious vacation and keep us up to date on the happenings!

Roz,

I apologize but this absolutely has to be said

The "Potty-Box" area should have been called "The Poop Deck:D "

Okay, you can flame me for a bad pun now.

Regretfully,

Dave

Dave it was a great cruise for all of us and most of us weren't even on the ship. Your descriptions were vivid and really made me excited about taking a cruise with HAL. Now if they will only provide someone for me to play cribbage with. :D

Dave it was a great cruise for all of us and most of us weren't even on the ship. Your descriptions were vivid and really made me excited about taking a cruise with HAL. Now if they will only provide someone for me to play cribbage with. :D

Cruiser,

Should we cruise together, be assured you have cribbage partners ( the wife and I.)

15 for 2

15 for 4

Double run for 12 :)

Sincerely,

Dave

Oh Dave, BTW, do you hang out with any of the EOD divers? Just thought I'd ask because my brother is an EOD diver from San Diego, although he has been reassigned to Virginia after some time in Iraq.

-Brenda

Oh Dave, BTW, do you hang out with any of the EOD divers? Just thought I'd ask because my brother is an EOD diver from San Diego, although he has been reassigned to Virginia after some time in Iraq.

-Brenda

I was a Reserve EOD Diver (5331) in the San Francisco area. Small world.

Dave

A few more lines and I'll put this thing to rest.

No review is complete without a complaint or two (and I'm really having to dig for these.)

The day we boarded, the Deluxe Suite passengers were directed to a special check in line that was, presumably, quicker. We got through our crummy old "regular joe" line fairly quick, but the folks in the Suite line weren't moving. Being this close to leaving on a cruise, it wouldn't bother me (NOTHING would bother me,) but I could see where some folks could make a huge issue out of this.

The coffee in the Lido, and dining room, is (to me) weak. They probably need to keep their coffee pretty much "middle of the road" though, to stay on the safe side (on the last night though, I noticed that you could have espresso after dinner - my fault on that one.) The coffee in the Pinnacle though, was excellent (tasted like French Press.) Also, the coffee drinks in the explorers lounge were very good, and reasonable. We always have options.

Had a fine cruise and met some great people. Am I sailing HAL again? Try and keep me away.

Thanks all for the kind words,

Dave

Thanks, that info (about the ports & transportation) was just what I needed!

Here's another question: Does a cell phone work on the ship? Maybe closer to shore?

I have either Nextel service, or a "Tracfone" prepaid cell (don't know what the service provider is...)

Thanks again, I enjoyed your post!

Archived