Thinking about Silver Wind for next cruise

Dagny

I am considering the following cruise:

Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires

South American Soujourn

8 Days - Silver Wind - Voyage 2732

It seems a fabulous itinerary and one which I would have expected would have been packaged into a longer cruise. I love that it is only 8 days in length, yet appears to offer so much, (love the overnights!). Having never cruised on SS nor in South America, (land-based only), what are your impressions of the ship and the itinerary?

27 Nov 2007 Tue Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

28 Nov 2007 Wed Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 11:00 PM

29 Nov 2007 Thu Paraty, Brazil 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

30 Nov 2007 Fri Sao Paulo (Santos), Brazil 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

01 Dec 2007 Sat Itaji, Brazil 9:00 AM 2:00 PM

02 Dec 2007 Sun Day at Sea

03 Dec 2007 Mon Montevideo, Uruguay 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

04 Dec 2007 Tue Buenos Aires, Argentina 8:00 AM

05 Dec 2007 Wed Buenos Aires, Argentina

I can't comment much on the itinerary except that the region is popular, and my in-laws just had a good trip that included that area on a longer itinerary.

I can comment on Wind. We sailed Wind at the end of March. We found the staff to be very attentive and the service to be a cut above Whisper. We loved having wi-fi in our room, and we liked the small-intimate atmosphere. We also loved Whisper and are sailing her again on 12/1. Whisper has the better bathrooms and bigger desks, etc. in the cabins, but there are many nooks and crannies to hold personal things on Wind, so that wasn't an issue. All of our favorite things were there on Wind except for the golf cage (which wasn't in that great of shape on Whisper). I would jump back on Wind in a second. My only other observations were that the food temperature was a little better on Whisper. We aren't really buffet people unless we have a shore excursion, but the few buffets we did were a bit more elaborate on Whisper than Wind.

Dagney- We did this leg as part of a full 50 days on the Wind two years ago. Not to dissuade you, but although the itinerary was really good, the crowd on board was horrible(for the most part). This leg was heaviy discounted and as such you had many "boooze and cruise" on board. They overwhelmed the awesome staff and generally made it unbearable around the pool. Anyway, Santos is a very nice stop-good Art shops and strolling. Watch your valuables in Rio.

Seagirl with all your SS cruises it's amazing I haven't met you -- I too have lots of DAYS and am booked November Athens-Dubai and looking forward to it. Have a big challenge with air -- Los Angeles home base -- but I guess I'll survive whatever I choose.

I am considering the following cruise:

Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires

South American Soujourn

8 Days - Silver Wind - Voyage 2732

It seems a fabulous itinerary and one which I would have expected would have been packaged into a longer cruise. I love that it is only 8 days in length, yet appears to offer so much, (love the overnights!). Having never cruised on SS nor in South America, (land-based only), what are your impressions of the ship and the itinerary?

27 Nov 2007 Tue Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

28 Nov 2007 Wed Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 11:00 PM

29 Nov 2007 Thu Paraty, Brazil 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

30 Nov 2007 Fri Sao Paulo (Santos), Brazil 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

01 Dec 2007 Sat Itaji, Brazil 9:00 AM 2:00 PM

02 Dec 2007 Sun Day at Sea

03 Dec 2007 Mon Montevideo, Uruguay 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

04 Dec 2007 Tue Buenos Aires, Argentina 8:00 AM

05 Dec 2007 Wed Buenos Aires, Argentina

I did almost this itinerary and I can comment on most of the ports. I loved Rio - you just have to be careful where you go. Paraty was my favorite port - quaint and yet hip. Sao Paulo was a big dirty city. Itaji - I can't understand why they would stop there - there is absolutely nothing there. We took a flight up to Iguazu Falls from Itaji - but if you aren't going to the tiny airport - then there is NOTHING.

I didn't go to Montevideo.

Loved Buenos Aires - I would go back in a second.

Archived