Zuiderdam. info please.

Travelbug 2

I am currently researching a 12 day cruise on the Zuiderdam in the Med' for Sept' 08.

The cruise starts and ends in Venice and for the first night the ship is our hotel and we spend the next day in port to explore. Is there any downside to using the ship as our hotel in Venice? It sounds very appealing. We could get a transfer from the airport to the ship and would not have to worry about the hassle of getting to a hotel and then to the ship. I assume there will be HAL excursions for the day spent in Venice.

We have not sailed Vista class, we prefer the smaller ships but this itinerary is very tempting. What can we expect on Zuiderdam? We are a retired couple early 70s. Not new to HAL but new to Vista class.

We visited Venice many years ago and just loved it. It would be nice to return to this wonderful city.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I've been on two vista ships and like them very much. I do understnd you're used to smaller ships, but the vista ships are well-designed and still have nice cozy areas. Vistas have more balcony options than the smaller ships.

Many of us really like the vista-class ships. I think you might enjoy the Zuiderdam and I like the idea of the ship being your hotel the fist day in Venice.

The Zuiderdam is very colorful--more so than the older HAL ships, but don't let that put you off on a lovely ship--it does have a nice feel.

hope this helps.

We have just got home from a 20 day panama cruise on the zuiderdam.

Do not hesitate to use her as a "hotel" .... don't worry about anything people tell you about decoration. She is lovely I would never hesitate to sail the Zuiderdam. Crew is lovely, ship is lovely everything will be awesome.

I am currently researching a 12 day cruise on the Zuiderdam in the Med' for Sept' 08.

The cruise starts and ends in Venice and for the first night the ship is our hotel and we spend the next day in port to explore. Is there any downside to using the ship as our hotel in Venice? It sounds very appealing. We could get a transfer from the airport to the ship and would not have to worry about the hassle of getting to a hotel and then to the ship. I assume there will be HAL excursions for the day spent in Venice.

We have not sailed Vista class, we prefer the smaller ships but this itinerary is very tempting. What can we expect on Zuiderdam? We are a retired couple early 70s. Not new to HAL but new to Vista class.

We visited Venice many years ago and just loved it. It would be nice to return to this wonderful city.

Any comments would be appreciated.

This works great! We did it on Grand Princess last year and had a wonderful time. The ship does indeed offer excursions, or you can book independently, or just explore on your own.

The Vista class ships are marvelous and beautiful. Although we also like smaller ships, we find the Vista class very comfortable and not crowded-seeming.

Check our page in the link below for our trip report and pictures on the Med, and also on Vista ships.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We just got off the Zuiderdam also and it is a great ship. During the cruise we attended a talk by the Hotel Manager, Simon, and he talked about the major upgrades that the Z will be undergoing during drydock in Venice in April 2008 (all in 21 days). They will be doing a major renovation to the Crows Nest and adding 36 cabins to the aft end by making the stairstep into a straight down design (this is being done to all the Vista ships). Carpets will all be replace plus many other upgrades. You will basically have a new ship if sailing after April 2008!!

The best of the deal is using the ship for a hotel. Using a hotel inside or outside of town is super expensive. We did the Rott. B2B in 06 and used Venice for a hotel and it was SO GREAT. The ships dock close to the water bus service and very inexpensive.

Thank you all for the info', it is sounding like serious consideration is appropriate. Lots of research to do before the final decision.

Does anyone have any "first hand" information about the handicapped cabins (outside ocean view) on Zuiderdam. Are they truly HC cabins or are they converted with furniture removed?? I have sent an enquiry to HAL but no reply as yet.

We just got off the Zuiderdam also and it is a great ship. During the cruise we attended a talk by the Hotel Manager, Simon, and he talked about the major upgrades that the Z will be undergoing during drydock in Venice in April 2008 (all in 21 days). They will be doing a major renovation to the Crows Nest and adding 36 cabins to the aft end by making the stairstep into a straight down design (this is being done to all the Vista ships). Carpets will all be replace plus many other upgrades. You will basically have a new ship if sailing after April 2008!!

Hey Ifly ! good to "see" you....I still feel like I'm onboard...all I have to do is close my eyes ...... I need to book another cruise QUICK !!

you sure remembered a lot of stuff Simon told us !! you'd get the top mark for paying attention....or were you recording all that great info with your excellent photography equipment?

Archived