Customs, and port security questions

Christen99

We're going to Alaska, leaving from Seattle in June. I keep hearing about customs, but are we going to have to go through the customs experience? We're stopping in Prince Rupert BC, so I'm not sure what to expect. Are there customs officers that board the ship, do we all get off and show documents (that seems silly actually)? My DH has a butane torch lighter that he likes to use with his cigars, he's very choosy actually about his lighter (as well as his cigars). It's slightly larger than the standard, and I told him that if he MUST pack it then it gets checked. Is this something that is allowed? Do they xray every piece of checked luggage, or do they randomly check? I'm thinking that if it's too much to worry about, it's too much trouble to take. My DH's argument is that this is his vacation to do as he pleases as long as it's something that's allowed, and he feels it's worth it to find out. My DH actually has a friend who has been on a few cruises who smuggles rum and such in his checked baggage, my DH didn't want me to know but this same man has also had a joint or two in his baggage as well and he said that security is a much more lax than the airlines. Thankfully we're not travelling with this "friend", who knows what he'd ask me to pack for him unknowingly.

We're going to Alaska, leaving from Seattle in June. I keep hearing about customs, but are we going to have to go through the customs experience? We're stopping in Prince Rupert BC, so I'm not sure what to expect. Are there customs officers that board the ship, do we all get off and show documents (that seems silly actually)? My DH has a butane torch lighter that he likes to use with his cigars, he's very choosy actually about his lighter (as well as his cigars). It's slightly larger than the standard, and I told him that if he MUST pack it then it gets checked. Is this something that is allowed? Do they xray every piece of checked luggage, or do they randomly check? I'm thinking that if it's too much to worry about, it's too much trouble to take. My DH's argument is that this is his vacation to do as he pleases as long as it's something that's allowed, and he feels it's worth it to find out. My DH actually has a friend who has been on a few cruises who smuggles rum and such in his checked baggage, my DH didn't want me to know but this same man has also had a joint or two in his baggage as well and he said that security is a much more lax than the airlines. Thankfully we're not travelling with this "friend", who knows what he'd ask me to pack for him unknowingly.

You will go through customs when you disembark from your cruise. The ship clears customs in port for their passengers. Do they x-ray every piece of luggage? Who knows! As for you DH's lighter? This is not allowed if you are travelling by plane to your destination. However, we just returned from Europe and I walked through security at Atlanta airport with my light in my pants pocket (forgot I had it, so no flames!), if they find it, they will take it at the airport, not the pier. We cleared customs in Atlanta, and it was a breeze. Customs officer took the form, asked a few questions and we went directly to board our next flight for home! Only one bag of ours was checked on the outbound flight by the TSA, not the cruiseline.....hehehe, this was the one with the liquor :eek:! Check the TSA website. As for the joint? Yikes! I wouldn't travel with that "friend" LOL! :D

I think your DH's lighter will be fine in your checked luggage. If they do x-ray it and think it's dangerous they should just take it and leave a note in your bag. As for his friend, he was very lucky that one of those cute little beagles didn't "check" his luggage :eek: ! I agree with julieanne, don't ever vacation with him!

LOL! Plant, it's a 50/50 shot. The TSA forbids lighters of any kind!. But, I would imagine we had the two on the return trip because DH DID have them in our checked luggage! (great security!). If it was an expensive lighter, I would leave it home and buy one on the ship for $10! :)

Archived