Would it be safe to take an 8 week old to Cancun?

Colts88

Would it be safe to take an eight week old baby to Cancun, Mexico for a week? My family is going to rent a condo for a week, and my husband and I would really like to go, but we are wondering if it would be too soon to travel with a small baby. We aren't planning to go until next March. Any help is appreciated. What about shots and immunizations?

I think your peditrician would be the best person to ask for advice on this matter.

Personally I wouldn't do it. You don't mention what time of year this trip is planned for but the heat and humidity can be brutal. I think I would have concerns about keeping baby hydrated, cool, comfortable and out of the sun. (pretty much the same concerns I have for myself but I know when & why I'm uncomfortable).

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise against taking a small 8 week old baby to any foreign country. I would advise you to wait until at least one year of age so they have there basic immunizations. Remember, it is a FOREIGN country and not on the standards of the good old USA. You will have plenty of time to take that baby anywhere when it's older. Why stress the child out? Just my opinion. Agree...pediatrician is the one to ask.

I agree with asking your pediatrician...he's your best source for advice of that nature in my opinion. Here's a web site with LOTS of travel information for Mexico. The only mention I find of infants specifically is to protect them from mosquitoes as they can't wear DEET repellent that young. Hope it helps. :)

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1174.html

An 8 week old baby will be a half week shy of getting his/her 2 month shots (there are typically 4-5 shots administered at this age). So either you'd have to ask your pediatrician about bumping up the immunizations or postponing them. Here's the next problem . . . if you get the shots BEFORE you leave, expect a horribly fussy baby! My son is now 12 weeks old and when he got his 2 month shots he had a low grade fever, wasn't eating or napping normally for an entire week. The doctor said that is normal. If you WAIT to get the shots, your baby will only have his/her hepatitus shots and nothing else . . . don't know if you want to take that risk.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Mexico is HOT! An 8 week old baby can easily overheat and cannot wear sunscreen yet. So if you want to go out at all, you may need someone to say inside with the baby.

I'd say no. Wait until he/she is older... my first vacation with baby is coming up in 4 weeks. He'll almost be 4 months.

• 3 weeks later...

What about a kid that is eight years old? We're considering our first vacation to Cancun but arent sure if it is a kid friendly destination. The whole family is pretty active, and we need to pick a destination where our son can join us in the fun.

flubberT, yeah I'd say Cancun is family friendly. If you go at times like Spring break or Summer graduation time I'd recommend looking into a resort that doesn't allow "spring breakers". Many of the resorts have activities for the kids. Kids are welcome everywhere, even at the traditional party places like Senor Frogs, since families tend to eat way earlier than when the nightlife begins in Cancun.

Some things off the top of my head, Xel-Ha, wet n wild, interactive aquarium, family day trip to isla mujeres. Bowling, movies, going for ice cream shakes at Johnny rockets, subsea explorer, maybe pirate hook cruise …

• 2 months later...

As long as you and your pediatrician are comfortable with it...then sure. We (with the OK from our Doc) took our daughter when she was 2 months old to Isla Mujeres. (We have family there and visit very often) She slept most of the time...just like she would have if we were home.

Use your common sense and keep the baby out of the sun...and everything will be fine. We've only once had to take one of our daughters to the doctor while there...but it's very easy to find a English speaking Doc...and we felt very comfortable with them.

(Tongue in cheek) Believe it or not...there are babies born in Mexico...and they survive living there.

OK...let the rebuttals begin :eek:

I would advise against taking a small 8 week old baby to any foreign country. I would advise you to wait until at least one year of age so they have there basic immunizations. Remember, it is a FOREIGN country and not on the standards of the good old USA. You will have plenty of time to take that baby anywhere when it's older. Why stress the child out? Just my opinion. Agree...pediatrician is the one to ask.

Patty in Pa says it right...

The chances of your baby picking up something on the plane are good, lots of respiratory illness that time of year. Babies that young can easily succumb to germs that would not bother an older child or adult.

RSV, bronchiolitis, the flu... just to name a few. These usually require hospitalization in infants that young, and can be fatal if not treated swiftly.

Also, god forbid your baby gets montezumas revenge... babies dehydrate very easily... that combined with heat can be a deadly mixture.

Speak with your doctor, but if it were my baby I'd stay home. It's tough to miss out on family trips, but you want to maintain your family, not jeapardize their health. A few of the cruiselines won't let you bring a baby under 6 months now... some 1 yr depending on the destination. Wait till s/he is a little older and plan a great trip.

I'm a nurse, so I've seen and heard alot; always err on the side of caution; if you're asking yourself if it's a good idea, you already know the answer in your heart.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Would it be safe to take an eight week old baby to Cancun, Mexico for a week? My family is going to rent a condo for a week, and my husband and I would really like to go, but we are wondering if it would be too soon to travel with a small baby. We aren't planning to go until next March. Any help is appreciated. What about shots and immunizations?

Our daughter has travel with us since day one. Are you going to be able to travel is the real question?

Bob

• 1 month later...

my kids both started traveling to Mexico when they were 3 months.

Our pediatricain recommended 3 months because of the immunizatons.

But, another thing you have to consider is, babies that little can't use sunscreen, and our biggest challenge with them when they were that little was the sun exposure.

Our doc said we could put a tiny bit on their noses and cheeks but that's it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes is safe well only in the day and try to ask someone in which parts are the shots so you don't go there.

• 9 months later...

I also suggest wiaiting until the baby is older. I assume that you would be nursing the baby -- what about the bacteria you are ingesting that you are not used to that will be passed on to the baby? When my daughter was young, we took her everywhere . . . but, not outside of the country. Better to be safe than sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived