overweight guests on journey!!!!!!

stefie67

FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE PASSENGERS THAT HAVE TAKEN TIME OUT OF THEIR BUSY SCHEDULE TO ANSWER ALL OF OUR QUESTIONS. MY HUBBY AND I ARE BOTH OVERWEIGHT, AND MY HUBBY IS DISABLED. I WAS WONDERING IF THE SHIP IS FRIENDLY TO PEOPLE OF SIZE, I NOTICED THAT MOST OF THE CHAIRS HAVE ARMS, AND THAT COULD BE HARD IF YOU HAVE LARGE HIPS. HOW ARE THE BATHROOMS, I HAVE AN OV ROOM ON DECK 4. PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I WOULD HATE TO WASTE MY MONEY FOR A CRUISE THAT I WILL NOT BE COMFORTABLE ON.

Perhaps you don't know that writing in all cap letters mean you are shouting...

If you sit at a dining table that does not have a chair without arms just ask your waiter to get one for you.

There are many people of size on the ships, many on electric scooters.

The bathroom should be fine. If you are disabled due to your size the option of a handicap cabin might be a need for you.

Stefie - Been there done that! Relax! Is this your first cruise? I did notice the dining room chairs have arms - but they APPEAR to be pretty roomy. When I sailed a few years back the waiter was very attentive and he came and discretely asked me if I would be more comfortable in a different chair. There were other chairs available, and I image the Journey has those too. When are you sailing?

The other areas of a ship I've had issue with was in the showroom if it was theatre seating sometimes the chairs were too tight, but they also have couches and bench seats in the back of the room - not great views, but you can enjoy the show comfortably.

The bathroom - what part is concerning you? They are typically small, but certainly not too small for basic needs. The showers are tiny, but since they have curtains you will be fine. Again - I have not yet been on the Journey, I'm just going by many past ships.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I could - I cruised in a super morbidly obese body and it was fine. (gastric bypass 5 years ago - lost 270 pounds whoo hoo!)

Feel free to email me

no this will be my 3rd cruise. i had very few problems on the zenith and horizon. as you pointed out, the biggest problem was in the show lounge. i feel ok with the shower, little worried about the toilet, the horizon didn't give alot of room around the toilet. i don't want to be embarresed, i'm sure that you understand. i'm leaving on 10/13/07, and i can't wait. i hope that the ship personnel are as friendly as your waiter , so i won't have to ask. as far as your weight loss,OH MY GOD, GOD BLESS YOU. i'm thiking about the surgery also. thanks for the kind words

FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE PASSENGERS THAT HAVE TAKEN TIME OUT OF THEIR BUSY SCHEDULE TO ANSWER ALL OF OUR QUESTIONS. MY HUBBY AND I ARE BOTH OVERWEIGHT, AND MY HUBBY IS DISABLED. I WAS WONDERING IF THE SHIP IS FRIENDLY TO PEOPLE OF SIZE, I NOTICED THAT MOST OF THE CHAIRS HAVE ARMS, AND THAT COULD BE HARD IF YOU HAVE LARGE HIPS. HOW ARE THE BATHROOMS, I HAVE AN OV ROOM ON DECK 4. PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I WOULD HATE TO WASTE MY MONEY FOR A CRUISE THAT I WILL NOT BE COMFORTABLE ON.

I am sure that it will be ok - however, as a starting point, can you try not to use such weighty letters in your questions? :cool:

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I could - I cruised in a super morbidly obese body and it was fine. (gastric bypass 5 years ago - lost 270 pounds whoo hoo!)

I have another question for you, Happy Cruiser. I had a Gastric Bypass last April. While I've been on vacation since the surgery, I haven't yet cruised. We're scheduled on the Journey Repo 10/27/07 - 14 days! How was it cruising after the bypass? did you gain weight? any nausea/overeating problems?

I'm fighting for the last 20-30 pounds, down 70 so far. (I was rather 'skinny' for GB, "only" 236lbs before, but with arthritis & High BP.)

Thanks for any feedback.

nlvc12

We're scheduled on the Journey Repo 10/27/07 - 14 days!

nlvc12

Hey - I'll see you there! :D

Cruising was great after the bypass - the waiters do get disappointed when you don't eat all your food, but I just couldn't do it! I did have a bad habit of having a chocolate martini for dessert :( but I didn't have trouble with food choices. I did buy a mug and drank iceT all day long though. My trouble is mostly trying to stay hydrated. Honestly I feel so good after losing that much weight, that not much could really seem bad. Your starting weight is my ending weight! LOL

carol

I'd suggest asking your TA to put a note in your file regarding special seating request for the dining room and possibly even upgrading to a handicap room if available at the last minute (not sure they do this but can't hurt to ask). Then when you get to the ship, go see the maitre d' when you board the ship and tell him you'd like to see where you'd be sitting that evening. When he looks up your table reservation, he should be able to immediately identify whether there will be any issues like closeness of tables, chairs, etc. (We always do this as my DH is hearing impaired and when they put us in the middle of the room he can not hear a thing! By visiting the dining room in advance we at least have a chance to get a table that will work for us.)

I'd suggest asking your TA to put a note in your file regarding special seating request for the dining room and possibly even upgrading to a handicap room if available at the last minute (not sure they do this but can't hurt to ask). Then when you get to the ship, go see the maitre d' when you board the ship and tell him you'd like to see where you'd be sitting that evening. When he looks up your table reservation, he should be able to immediately identify whether there will be any issues like closeness of tables, chairs, etc.

There are no table reservations except in the specialty dining rooms......you are seated where ever there is an available table. It is OPEN SEATING!

I was on Oceania Regatta in a standard balcony stateroom. The staterooms on Journey will be the same size. They were the standard 170 sq. ft. with smallish bathroom.

One thing that I have stated in other posts is that I don't think that Journey is very handicap accessible. My grandmother (100 pounds) was in a wheelchair for the last six years of her life- so I notice these things.

I commented to my parents that I didn't think the ship would be good for those in wheelchairs and certainly not scooters. The halls are narrow, there is a threshold from the hall to the landing for the elevators. The exterior doors to the pool are very heavy with no wheelchair mechanisms.

It wouldn't be my first choice for people with limited mobility because the ship moves alot- making it difficult to walk in heels at night, etc.

Being overweight wouldn't be an issue though.

Hey - I'll see you there! :D

Cruising was great after the bypass - the waiters do get disappointed when you don't eat all your food, but I just couldn't do it! I did have a bad habit of having a chocolate martini for dessert :( but I didn't have trouble with food choices. I did buy a mug and drank iceT all day long though. My trouble is mostly trying to stay hydrated. Honestly I feel so good after losing that much weight, that not much could really seem bad. Your starting weight is my ending weight! LOL

carol

Hey, Happy Cruiser, will look forward to swapping GBypass stories with you on our cruise. I noticed you were originally scheduled for the 10/20/07 Zenith, which we were too!

I am doing so much homework for this cruise. I hope it is as fabulous as I expect it to be!

nlvc (Nancy...#2, I think)

Archived