Portofinos/ Chops ???

I have a son that is not quite the reccommended age of 13 . We would love to try one or both of the specialty restaurants on our Mariner cruise! Our son is used to fine dining, but we would certainly be willing to make an early reservation! Would this be a possibility?? We would certainly never take a child that would be bored or disruptive to a nicer restaurant!:rolleyes: He is very used to, and appreciates a nice restaurant (is a routine in our household)! But, we certainly do not want to cause any contraversy!:eek: Will this be a possibility for us?? Any helpful responses appreciated!:D

It should be fine, especially if he is familiar with the experience. I'm sure he will enjoy it. Last year, on Grand Princess, we ate in the specialty steak restaurant and there was a vegetarian seated at the table next to us. Talk about controversy. A vegetarian in a steak restaurant. The waiter looked dumbfounded and the maitre d' could not find anything on the menu to accomodate her. Have a great cruise and enjoy every minute of it.

On some ships, they will allow younger children in Portofino and Chops Grille at the earlier dining times. Usually they want them out by 8:00 pm, which means you would have to get a reservation at 6:00. But if your son is almost 13, I think it would be fine anytime. Enjoy.

I've been to Portofinos and have seen young teens many times. As long as he is well behaved and dressed properly, you can go to dinner at any time you like. You're on vacation and the staff at Portofino is gracious and professional. Enjoy! Have the Tiramisu for dessert. You'll want to go back a second time just to have that again!

Be advised, however, that there is nothing in the Cruise Compass that states younger children are welcome in Portofino and Chops if they will be out by eight PM.

I say this because we like to eat early and often make early reservations at these restaurants at 6:30 or 7:00PM. We wonder why the rules at these early hours are "softer" than at later hours. Afterall, we are still charged the same $20.00 surcharge as those who dine later and can expect to have the rules strictly enforced.

More than likely he will be allowed even at a later dining time. Just ask when you book the three of you. If he is as well behaved at such an experience as you say, no one will know how old your child is other than you and the person who books you.

Archived