AK Excursion advice please

Dancing Gal

I am posting this here and on the RCCL board. The RCCL excursions list seems to be longer than Celebrity (this will be first RCCL). If you have done any of the following or have suggestions/advice pro/con on these, please post. I am sure others would welcome the feedback.

I am trying to gather some experienced cruisers feedback on various excursions to help my sister plan for her cruise with their children. Active family, parents: late-40's and two boys, 11 and 14.

Thanks

Nancy

Skagway:

Haines Wildlife Kayak or the Hike and Float the Chilkoot Trail

Juneau:

Whale watching or Mendenhall Glacier Float trip or seaplane adventure. I have done the whale watching and enjoyed it; have heard god things about trekking on the glacier, but that is not the plan for the family.

Ketchikan:

Seaplane/Misty Fjords, Tatoosh kayak,

OR suggestions for the excursions, web links, etc.

THANKS

Nancy

I just left you a reply on the RCI boards to this question. have a great cruise

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I don't recommend the Mendenhall float trip. I would opt for a glacier helicopter landing instead of flightseeing. Cost is $180 with Coastal. Skagway- not likely a lot of wildlife on the float- but scenic and some eagles will be seen, consider direct booking with Eco Orca? Misty fjord floatplanes are the top excursion- but again consider independent- none of the ship tours allow you off the plane on land- only a step out on the pontoons and some savings. Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air, Island Wings. Kayaking is also excellent Southeast Kayaks runs great excursions. Tough choices indeed. icon_smile.gif

• 1 year later...

BudgetQueen:

Do you need to book in advance with Coastal? We will be in Alaska the week of June 13th and are considering the glacier landing. How rough is the helicopter ride? Can you reserve this trip online? Thanks for all your advise you have been very helpful.

Ah, the joys of travel with kids! Now mine just go without me... Anyway, I would recommend the train in Skagway with maybe a hike to the lake and walk around town (the graveyard is really cool for kids), whale watch in Juneau with trip up the tram for hiking if there's time, and Misty Fjords/seaplane in Ketchikan. Make them leave the gameboy in the room.:) I remember paying $$$ to do something with my two, and they hardly even looked up from their video game.

We did the Hike & Float the Chilkoot in Skagway back in 2001.

I did a write up on it in my trip journal...

We were up early for breakfast this day as we had signed up for a 7:45 AM excursion. We chose the Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail excursion for that day. Our guide met us on the pier. Only four people had signed up for this excursion. I was a bit surprised that only four people out of 2000 had signed up for this. They picked us up in a van and we headed for the town of Dyea. That day we would hike two miles of the Chilkoot Trail. The Chilkoot Trail is 32 miles long. It has been said by those who study the Gold Rush, that the Chilkoot Trail “is the meanest 32 miles in history”. However, today hikers refer to it as the “most beautiful 32 miles in Alaska…”

As we arrived at the trailhead, Sean (our guide) went over some basic procedures for our hike that day. Although he was not from Alaska (from Ohio via Colorado), he was a very knowledgeable guide. He had a degree in biology, served two years in the Peace Corp, was an 8th grade science teacher, ski instructor, rafting guide and hiking guide. He was well suited to be our guide on this hike/float. He made an impression on us in regards of what to do in case we encounter a bear. All of us should slowly put our hands above our head and start talking or singing. He did make it very clear to us that we should not run. The reason we should not run is because we cannot out run a bear! However, just in case, he also had pepper spray that was about 600 times stronger than what we could purchase in a store. Next, Sean handed out trail mix and we were on our way.

It was a great hike. The only thing that would have made it better was if it had been longer. Also, it really was worth having a guide. We would have missed many things that out guide pointed out and explained to us. For instance, we came upon a tree with bear claw marks. They were about five inches wide and about 12 - 15 inches long. Sean asked us what type of bear made theses marks, black or brown? Of course we did not know. As it turned out, they were from a black bear because each of the claws started at a different height. Sean pointed many things about the ecosystem there. It was fascinating. At the two-mile point, we got in a raft and floated back down the Taiya River. The float lasted about 40 minutes. There were no rapids; it was an easy float.

========================================

The float was relaxing but uneventful.

Hope this helps...

Good luck.

BudgetQueen:

Do you need to book in advance with Coastal? We will be in Alaska the week of June 13th and are considering the glacier landing. How rough is the helicopter ride? Can you reserve this trip online? Thanks for all your advise you have been very helpful.

Absolutely you need to reserve ahead. Very smooth helicopter ride in my opinion. :) http://www.coastalhelicopters.com

Archived