Foreign Birth Ceritificate/ US Adoption Papers

I need some advice, have any of you traveled with an adopted child, that was born in a foreign country yet has the paperwork to support being a US Citizen? This young man does not have a Valid Passport, but does have all of the other paper work, If you have any insight on this manner please post. Thank You in Advance.

Both of my daughters were adopted from China. Both of them had their Certificates of Citizenship documents, and that was what I used to get them their U.S. Passports. I would strongly encourage you to get a U.S. passport for this young man. Expedite it if you must. I'm not sure that he would be able to board with anything less than that.

I know when we took our first cruise, we took my husband's German Birth Cert and then his US Citizenship papers and we had no problems. However, when we decided to go to Jamaica, we were worried about problems with customs, so we got passports. With the way things are today, I would agree with the previous post and get his passport as soon as possible. It will make everything so much easier and then you won't stress about problems that may or may not happen.

I would also suggest you get him a Passport ASAP to make things easier. We adopted our daughter from Peru and she does travel with a USA Passport - all that was needed to get it was her birth certificate showing us as her parents (and it was in Spanish but was accepted no problem) and her original adoption decree that was in Spanish along with a translated copy of it that was translated locally and notarized. Oh yeah, we had to also send in her Peruvian Passport and had no Problem getting her passport. All of her documents that were sent in with the application were returned even her Peruvian Passport but it did have a hold punched in it. It is so easy to travel with her because she has her own valid USA Passport.

Archived