Sapphire Beach Transportation???

mueller74us

Saw this post on another thread:

"You can get there easily without a tour. Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and there will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi to Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach. "

Does this mean we can not just get off the ship...walk up to a taxi driver and ask to be taken to Sapphire Beach...and be dropped off right at the beach?? For those that have gone before how have you arranged transportation back to pier?

Thanks,

Jennifer

We went to Sapphire Beach in early May. We just walked off the ship and there were taxis everywhere. They were open air taxis and it was really a fun and winding drive to get to the beach! It was $10 per person (I think!). They dropped us off right in front of the condos that were there. It was a very short walk to the beach. We had the best time at the beach. It was incredibly beautiful with great snorkeling. When we were ready to leave, there was a taxi there and we hopped on and headed back to the beach. It could not have been any easier. I highly recommend Sapphire beach and we will definitely go back next time we are there. :)

We went to Sapphire Beach in early May. We just walked off the ship and there were taxis everywhere. They were open air taxis and it was really a fun and winding drive to get to the beach! It was $10 per person (I think!). They dropped us off right in front of the condos that were there. It was a very short walk to the beach. We had the best time at the beach. It was incredibly beautiful with great snorkeling. When we were ready to leave, there was a taxi there and we hopped on and headed back to the beach. It could not have been any easier. I highly recommend Sapphire beach and we will definitely go back next time we are there. :)

I will be traveling with someone who has difficulty ascending steep inclines and I have heard somewhere that a hill was involved, for some, in getting to the beach! Was this your experience? Also, did it seem as though there were taxi's continously available or do you feel as if you had good timing and stumbled across a driver just dropping off passengers? Naturally I am concerned about getting out there and then not being able to get back!

Thanks for your help thus far!!!

Jennifer

Saw this post on another thread:

"You can get there easily without a tour. Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and there will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi to Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach. "

Does this mean we can not just get off the ship...walk up to a taxi driver and ask to be taken to Sapphire Beach...and be dropped off right at the beach?? For those that have gone before how have you arranged transportation back to pier?

Thanks,

Jennifer

These two types of transportation are not the same thing. The "open air taxi" for $2 mentioned first is actually part of the public transportation system (like the bus). I think these may also be referred to as Safari buses (or maybe the Safari buses are actual buses). The taxis that you get right at the pier are price regulated. Many (maybe most?) are open-air style and hold groups of people (and they usually do not leave until full), at least a few are regular vans, and others are what we usually think of as "taxis" (regular autos).

The $2 is great for those who want to save money, don't mind spending more time getting to and from wherever, and don't have any health or other issues with walking a bit (and sometimes 1/2 a mile or so; sometimes less; sometimes level and sometimes not) to get to the actual beach, etc. They also don't go to every spot on the island (such as Magen's Bay; you could take a $2 ride partway there and then it seems to be about 4 mile hike one way, uphill and downhill).

I think it's a real service for our members to post about the public transportation system options, and I think that it is a real benefit for many people. But I am also sometimes a bit put-off by the attitude that occassionally comes through of "the taxi system is a ripoff and the drivers are no better than thieves" so take the public transportation system as it is "the only way to go."

Your best bet will be to take one of the taxis right at the pier. Tell the driver you want to go to Saphire Beach and (I think) they drop you right at the beach or the hotel on the beach. No worries getting a taxi either to or from.

beachchick

Hello Jennifer,

Yes you can get off the ship, walk up to a taxi and request a taxi to Sapphire Beach. A taxi will drop you off right at the resort lobby turn around area. The lobby is right by the beach; you'd walk along a flat path, a short distance and you will be on the beach, by the water. Taxis are usually waiting right at the same turn around area; if there aren't any there when you are ready to leave you can ask someone at the lobby to call a taxi for you.

There is no hill involved with going to Sapphire by taxi. There is however a hill if you choose to take public transportation to get to Sapphire as the bus stop is along the main road and Sapphire's entrance from the main road down to the beach is a hill.

--Islander

we were walking to catch the $2 safari bus, and taxi would ask to pick you up we walked alittle more and another asked we said we were goin to get the$2 bus and they offered us for $5 pp so we saved the walk.... took us to sapphire beach... loved it really pretty ... now to go back just walk to the top of the property... not far.... and you can catch the $2 bus back ... with out a far walk... your best bet..:rolleyes:

Hello Jennifer,

Yes you can get off the ship, walk up to a taxi and request a taxi to Sapphire Beach. A taxi will drop you off right at the resort lobby turn around area. The lobby is right by the beach; you'd walk along a flat path, a short distance and you will be on the beach, by the water. Taxis are usually waiting right at the same turn around area; if there aren't any there when you are ready to leave you can ask someone at the lobby to call a taxi for you.

There is no hill involved with going to Sapphire by taxi. There is however a hill if you choose to take public transportation to get to Sapphire as the bus stop is along the main road and Sapphire's entrance from the main road down to the beach is a hill.

--Islander

We went to Coki last summer and want to try Sapphire this year. Coki wasnt for us. We didnt feel very safe...thought it was dirty....locals were smoking "something"?? on the beach directly behind us with our children right there. The vendors selling drinks were cussing a lot. Maybe we just were there at a bad time?? Equipment we purchased to snorkle was really questionable....anyway.....My point to all this is we want more of a "resort" feel this time. Clean and safe. My DH and I were really stressed the whole time at Coki. I know many people really enjoyed Coki.....it just wasnt for us. How do you think we will feel about Sapphire Islander?? Or do you have another suggestion? Is there anything closer than Sapphire and Coki?

Hi sorry to hear you didn't enjoy coki beach, we went to saphire and loved it!! however, there were some people smoking (??) you know what.. they sat a little away from others..but you could still smell it. didn't bother anyone else it with it though

Hello ciship,

The things you didn't like about Coki aren't things you would likely encounter at Sapphire. Sapphire has a dive shop/water sports booth that rents gear, no vendors up and down the beach. Sapphire's hotel rooms are close to the beach so the area is well maintained.

A resort beach close to Havensight... Morningstar.

--Islander

Hello ciship,

The things you didn't like about Coki aren't things you would likely encounter at Sapphire. Sapphire has a dive shop/water sports booth that rents gear, no vendors up and down the beach. Sapphire's hotel rooms are close to the beach so the area is well maintained.

A resort beach close to Havensight... Morningstar.

--Islander

Thanks Islander....can we get snacks and cocktails on Sapphire??

Hello ciship,

The restaurant/bar at Sapphire has been closed for a bit. The little store which is beachfront sells beers, sodas, water, snacks. I haven't seen them the times I have been there recently but I have heard that sometimes there is a guy doing BBQ and also a pizza person so that sort of food may be available too.

--Islander

do they have facilities at saphire beach? sounds great to me! nice if we can get a drink or a snack too. perfect. we live in the st louis area. let em smoke and cuss, just get us to the beach!! we have been to coki and st john sevral times, never tried saphire, one guy has a leg problem, but it sounds as if we tell the cab driver, he will take us right tot he beach so we dont have to walk down a hill? hope so..cindy

Hello beachgal,

If by facilities you mean restrooms - then yes.

If you are taking a taxi to the beach then they will take you right to the beach. Its the public transportation that requires the short walk.

--Islander

Islander- we are going august 19 with myself, dh,ds12,dd10. We are planning on going to sapphire beach with sunny. We heard that this is less crowded than megans bay. Is it just as pretty as I heard megans bay is?

Are we making the right decision. We still have to book, so I appreciate any advice

thanks

Andychris,

The crowd factor at Magens... or Coki... or Sapphire depends on the season (high/low) and number of ships in port. If there are 1 or 2 ships then the beaches aren't that crowded. If there are 6,7,8 ships, you can expect a good bit at all three beaches, as they are the popular 3 for cruise passengers. That said their popularity/crowds go pretty much in the order given; Magens, Coki, Sapphire. Magens is the largest so it absorbs the crowds well but gets busy particular around the concession area, Coki is small so when its crowded, its crowded. Sapphire is somewhere in between.

As for deciding between Magens and Sapphire; they are both pretty beaches :).

--Islander

Archived