Tour Offer - no catches

Hi -- We WILL be arriving in England for a couple of days in August this year, just before boarding the Tahitian Princess on August 12. Our plans are not set yet, but we would love to have a day with you exploring your part of England. We've been to the UK many times, but have it's always fabulous to get to know an area with a local. It looks like August 11 might be our only opportunity...assuming we can actually leave San Francisco on the 9th. That's iffy, so it might not work at all if we can't leave the US until the 10th. Are you already back in school at that time?

What a wonderful idea! I do hope some others will take you up on your most generous and hospitable offer!!!

Blessings...and thanks.

Cathy (and Bob)

Hi -- We WILL be arriving in England for a couple of days in August this year, just before boarding the Tahitian Princess on August 12. Our plans are not set yet, but we would love to have a day with you exploring your part of England. We've been to the UK many times, but have it's always fabulous to get to know an area with a local. It looks like August 11 might be our only opportunity...assuming we can actually leave San Francisco on the 9th. That's iffy, so it might not work at all if we can't leave the US until the 10th. Are you already back in school at that time?

What a wonderful idea! I do hope some others will take you up on your most generous and hospitable offer!!!

Blessings...and thanks.

Cathy (and Bob)

Hi Cathy (and Bob),

Lovely to hear from you.

I'm not back in school until September - I'm sure I could be available on the 11th August.

Why don't you e-mail me - include some information about your particular interests so that I can make some suggestions.

Jane

jane.cartlidge@btopenworld.com

We are arriving in Harwich on May 3rd and leaving from Stansted the evening of the 6th. We intend to see the northeast part of England. We have never been to that part of England before, so suggestions of where to go and what to see would be appreciated. We have been to London several times so that is not in our plans. I know that Northhamptonshire is not close by English standards but any help you can offer would be appreciated. (By West Texas standards it is next door.)

I would say that Simon's advice is spot on - he was taking me back as I once had to write an essay on Cragside at University while studying Victorian Britain!

Have a look at this too ...

http://www.visitnorthumberland.com/

Jane

x

You two had better hope that no British authorities are not reading this thread. :D

I just cleared my 2025 for 2 months, what would be the best time for those two months?

jc

August is good for me - July is starting to fill up :D

jc (english)

Thanks, Jane. I'll be in touch. Expecting company in a couple of days, so I'll get to this eventually. :-) You know...getting the house picked up and taking care of the things I've set aside recently! Guess that's a good reason to have company every so often. Gets things done.:o

Blessings --

Cathy and Bob

We are arriving in Harwich on May 3rd and leaving from Stansted the evening of the 6th. We intend to see the northeast part of England. We have never been to that part of England before, so suggestions of where to go and what to see would be appreciated. We have been to London several times so that is not in our plans. I know that Northhamptonshire is not close by English standards but any help you can offer would be appreciated. (By West Texas standards it is next door.)

How about visiting the original WASHINGTON and checking out George Washington's Ancestrial Home (Washington Old Hall) now looked after by The National Trust

How about visiting the original WASHINGTON and checking out George Washington's Ancestrial Home (Washington Old Hall) now looked after by The National Trust

On that subject - what about the ancestral home of George Washington's family - Sulgrave Manor in ... you've guessed it - Northamptonshire!

http://www.touruk.co.uk/houses/housenorthants_sulgrave_manor.htm

Another great place to visit but that Washington family did relocate there from Washington County Durham the Original and oldest of them all. One interesting point which not many people know is that Washington wasn't always the family name there original name was Hertburn (pronounced heartburn) and they changed there name to Washington when they aquired the Washington Estate from the then Bishop of Durham. So for everyone across the pond the history of the UK doesn't start and end in London I always tell people to get out of London and see the real Uk we have lots to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the previous suggestions but we have clarified our plans a bit and decided that we don't want to go quite so far. We will stay the first night in Braintree and will need to be at Stansted airport on the evening of the 4th night. We don't want to spend all our time driving so we were thinking of limiting our trip to no further than York. We appreciated the suggestions but do you have some that are not so far? We have 2 nights to figure out where to stay. Are there interesting things in Peterborough or Norwich? Or better places to stay?

We have 2 nights to figure out where to stay. Are there interesting things in Peterborough or Norwich? Or better places to stay?
There are interesting cathedrals in both Peterborough and Norwich. But if you want somewhere closer by that is full of interest: Cambridge.

Thank you for your wonderful offer. Because of our daughter's schedule coming home...and my husband's work schedule, we won't be able to arrive in London until the 11th and we board the ship on the 12th. So, this trip isn't going to be the one where we get to see your part of England through your eyes. I'll keep watching, though, and maybe some year we will get to meet you!

Blessings...and thanks.

Cathy (and Bob)

Archived