Tour Offer - no catches

We won't be able to enjoy your company as we are only in town (London on the 12th and again on the 25th of July, as we will be cruising on the Splendor the 12 days inbetween!~but your offer was sooo very kewl~! wish we could "hook' up!~

to read your posting I was impressed by your thoughtfulness and courage! I hope that you enjoy the opportunity to meet great people as you present.. your home land!

many kudos!

smilez:)

We won't be able to enjoy your company as we are only in town (London on the 12th and again on the 25th of July, as we will be cruising on the Splendor the 12 days inbetween!~but your offer was sooo very kewl~! wish we could "hook' up!~

to read your posting I was impressed by your thoughtfulness and courage! I hope that you enjoy the opportunity to meet great people as you present.. your home land!

many kudos!

smilez:)

Thank-you so much for your kind words. If you need any advice about your trip - feel free to ask. I used to work in town (London) so know it pretty well - plus it's only an hour or so from where I live.

We had a great time on the Splendour (as we spell it ;) ) a couple of years ago in the Med.

I have had no takers on my offer sadly - perhaps people think there is a catch? (there isn't!) It's a shame as I will be kicking my heels for August and I do love to play host(ess).

I break-up from school on the 23rd of July and on the 25th we are heading in your general direction for 5 nights in New York! I've never been but I have a shopping-mad 18 year old daughter and this is a treat for her before she goes off to University in September - in central London actually.

Regards,

Jane

x

Your offer sounds fantastic! We will be in London (August 12-15) BUT there are 6 of us. This is a first trip for all of us. We leave Michigan August 11th and arrive in London August 12th (my birthday!) We are staying at City Inn Westminster until the 15th when we will go to Harwich to board the beautiful Jewel of the Seas! We have made no real plans while we are there, other than requesting tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys. We may try to catch a play and we want to do sightseeing. We tried to request a private tour in London, but were told they were booked for the time we are there. We need to do some more exploring and determine what we want to do/how we can best do it. Yours is such a generous offer. Thanks for making the offer.

Deb

I don't know what happened - I completely missed your post until today!

I would absolutely love to show you around Northamptonshire for a day if you fancy it (I have a 7 seater car, the back seats are not very roomy so if there are two of you who are more 'athletically' inclined, you would be fine).

If you wanted to get a train from Euston to Northampton (20 minutes from me), Long Buckby (10 minutes) or from St Pancras to Market Harborough (25 minutes) I would be delighted to spend the day with you.

I have NO plans for the dates you mention. (We boarded the Jewel on the 17th August last year!)

E-mail me if you are interested further - jane.cartlidge@btopenworld.com

Jane

x

Hi Jane,

I used to do this when we lived in Rome for visiting friends, new embassy people to our HHH group and the DHs work visitors. Maybe try posting in the Roll Calls out of Harwich on Celebrity Connections? We're in and out this trip otherwise we'd love exploring every little village. Look under the Constellation.

• 8 months later...

Wow, I had never seen this thread before. Jane what a marvelous offer. Are you on the Indy TA this fall? Since, I gather you have some connection with Simon?

Anyway, if I was in England this summer I would certainly take up your offer.

jc

Hi English Jane,

I wonder if you have heard of the Global Greeter Network. They are volunteers who share their love for their city by donating time to show people around their city. I wonder if you might like to look it up. They are recuiting people like you to start a Greeter organization in you own city. They have branches around the world.

Angela

Wow, I had never seen this thread before. Jane what a marvelous offer. Are you on the Indy TA this fall? Since, I gather you have some connection with Simon?

Anyway, if I was in England this summer I would certainly take up your offer.

jc

Thanks

I would love to do a TA but can't because I am an assistant head in a Primary School, my only free time is really in the six week Summer holiday.

Simon (by a complete coincidence) lives in the next street to me - in the same house!

Hi English Jane,

I wonder if you have heard of the Global Greeter Network. They are volunteers who share their love for their city by donating time to show people around their city. I wonder if you might like to look it up. They are recuiting people like you to start a Greeter organization in you own city. They have branches around the world.

Angela

Thanks Angela, never heard of it but I will look into it!

Thank-you :)

I just think it's a real shame that our American friends don't get to see the 'real' England if they just stick to the tourist hotspots.

I agree with Globaliser! Well, how oldish are you Jane? I am trying to figure out if you will still be spry enough when I retire so I can take you up on your offer?:D;) I have about 15 years til I will have more time on my hands (knocking on wood that all will stay on course and all! ;))

jc

I agree with Globaliser! Well, how oldish are you Jane? I am trying to figure out if you will still be spry enough when I retire so I can take you up on your offer?:D;) I have about 15 years til I will have more time on my hands (knocking on wood that all will stay on course and all! ;))

jc

To save Janes blushes, I can safely say that she should still be able to 'entertain' you in 15 years (and I'm not sure if that doesn't sound worse!!):D. I agree with Jane. We live in one of the most beautiful bits of the country and its all full of history. Every day I drive past Althorp House where Diana (Princess of Wales) is supposedly buried, (but due to a fair bit of circumstantial evidence I think that she is actually in Great Brington Church), the Gunpowder plot was hatched just down the road In Ashby St. Ledgers, the principle of RADAR was demonstrated for the first time in the world just down the road in Litchborough near Daventry, the Battle of Naseby effectively decided the English civil war just up the road in 1645 and many other bits of history happened in the area, but as we are so far from London hardly any tourists come this way, which may be a good thing!

Simon

jc

Funny!

I am not precious about my age - I'll give you a good clue ...

My mum was watching JFK's funeral on telly when the contractions started.

Jane (also JC!)

To save Janes blushes, I can safely say that she should still be able to 'entertain' you in 15 years (and I'm not sure if that doesn't sound worse!!):D. I agree with Jane. We live in one of the most beautiful bits of the country and its all full of history. Every day I drive past Althorp House where Diana (Princess of Wales) is supposedly buried, (but due to a fair bit of circumstantial evidence I think that she is actually in Great Brington Church), the Gunpowder plot was hatched just down the road In Ashby St. Ledgers, the principle of RADAR was demonstrated for the first time in the world just down the road in Litchborough near Daventry, the Battle of Naseby effectively decided the English civil war just up the road in 1645 and many other bits of history happened in the area, but as we are so far from London hardly any tourists come this way, which may be a good thing!

Simon

Thanks for the vote of confidence Simon!

- Diana's burial is a bit of an open secret in these parts, I have it on good authority that Simon is bang on there.

Funny!

I am not precious about my age - I'll give you a good clue ...

My mum was watching JFK's funeral on telly when the contractions started.

Jane (also JC!)

I was a year pre kindergarden when that happened! I remember watching it all on the tv. It is probably my earliest memory.

Well Simon knows my 09 English travel schedule and unfortunately I am doing all of the tourist bits. Although he did shame me into go to Salisbury instead of just hanging out in Bath. :p

I remember watching all of the Diana stuff on tv at our lake house with friends (that was a bit of a shock to start a holiday weekend), and I remember getting married at about the same time as her and the prince did, and ours didn't compare well. I think we spent a total of less than $750 on wedding and honeymoon. :D That was a lot of pressure in those days. I mean how can any normal human being have a wedding that can compare to a fairy tale?

So, just remember Jane (JC) we have a date in 2025! :D

jc

On that subject, it's not the "British authorities" you have to be wary of. It's that bloody Egyptian shopkeeper!

Very good G! I'm surprised he hasn't looked in to it more as its a fairly open secret. You'd think the Sun or the Mail would be on it too.

Simon

We are arriving in Harwich on May 3rd and leaving from Stansted the evening of the 6th. We intend to see the northeast part of England. We have never been to that part of England before, so suggestions of where to go and what to see would be appreciated. We have been to London several times so that is not in our plans. I know that Northhamptonshire is not close by English standards but any help you can offer would be appreciated. (By West Texas standards it is next door.)

We are arriving in Harwich on May 3rd and leaving from Stansted the evening of the 6th. We intend to see the northeast part of England. We have never been to that part of England before, so suggestions of where to go and what to see would be appreciated. We have been to London several times so that is not in our plans. I know that Northhamptonshire is not close by English standards but any help you can offer would be appreciated. (By West Texas standards it is next door.)

Depends on whereabouts you are going to base yourself, but I have 3 suggestions.

1) Durham. The whole city is worth looking at (its not very big!), but the place is dominated by Durham Cathedral. Well worth a look.

2) Beamish Open Air Museum. Just up the road from Durham. Its an open park which is a celebration of our industrial past. The gateway is a 20 ton steam hammer! Inside are things like coal mines, railways, tramways and a whole village showing how people lived 100+ years ago.

3) Bit further north, but if you have the time go to Cragside. This is the house built by Lord Armstrong (inventor of hydraulics and munition merchant), that he built in the middle of the moors. It is the first house in the world to have been lit by hydroelectricity. Everything in the house is powered by either electrics or hydraulics and the grounds are stunning. Loads of pine trees (which he never saw mature) and rhodedendron bushes. The grounds also boast the first wrought iron bridge in the world. Cragside is now a National Trust property.

You should be able to find more info on these by Googling.

Simon

Archived