Communicating with teens on the ship??

The two way radios will work if you get a good brand with a high range but they are bothersome to the other passengers.

We usually sit down and have breakfast together and plan out our sea days as a family. I then pretty much know where the kids will be and when and we set up meeting times and places just to touch base with each other. We also use post it notes in the cabin to each other and leave voice mail on the cabin phones.

What's the best way? Do walkie talkies really NOT work (like I've read). Do most teens and parents get the onboard phones? Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

My 13yr.old dd spent a lot of time in the AO so I knew where she was most of the time. Certainly in the evening she stayed up there until I picked her up around midnight. Our walkie talkies did work but she didn't always have a pocket to carry it in. During the day we also made up when we would meet back at the cabin.

Walkie talkies are ok but there are lots of kids screaming "MOM" into them...have a code word.

We usually have breakfast together and then set a time and place where to meet again. Bring postie notes for the room for messages too.

Make the rules before you leave. I ususally have an early curfew for the beginning of the cruise AND IF THEY KEEP IT than I make it alittle later each night.

Have fun!

Just remember, teens on vacation suddenly and mysteriously often fall prey to a rare hearing impairment, known as tuning you out. :D

I don't have teens, but I've been around the boards a long time. Keep a pad of sticky notes where the kids can get to them. Tell them to use them, or they have to go on a walking tour of various things they would not be interested in.

Have regular check in times.

Have two meals a day together, to get their take on things.

Have a curfew.

I've heard good things about wakie talkies on ships.

We always do a sit down breakfast as a family. It's a nice catch up for us. Our boys like to eat pizza in the room and crash early on cruises.

Archived