Würzburg’s Residenz and winetasting -- or -- Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

DrFUN

Can anyone recommend which option we should choose on our June-July 2007 Vantage Grand European (on their brand new River Discovery): Würzburg’s Residenz and winetasting -- or -- Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Both sounds so interesting that it's hard to choose!

Thanks,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

Phoenix, AZ -- USA

We are going on this same cruise on the 15 of July from Amsterdam and we are all taking the tour to Rothenburg ob de Tauber hands down this villiage is so unique and we can always go to a wine tasting and having been to Wortzberg on 2 occasions its just another town. The only trouble with the tour to Rothenburg is that it looks like it doesn't give us much time to roam the streets. Rothenburg is a walled town with a quaint fairy like atmosphere. One of my favorite in Europe.

maggiegrammie

Thanks a million for your "instant" reply, dear Maggiegrammie!! The town DOES sound like a fairyland, and I was already leaning toward it. The only appeal of Wurzburg is the Residenz' ceiling, which is supposed to be fabulous. Wish we could do both. :rolleyes:

What is your group doing for the other "CHOOSE ONE" tours?? We're thinking of the Gondola ride to the Niederwald monument (vs. the musical artifacts, which sounded nice, too, but not AS nice), but we can't decide between Medieval Nuremberg — or — Nuremberg and World War II.... Any ideas? :confused: Of course, because we're B2B on the TWO cruises that make up the Grand European, we get BOTH choices in Hungary (one at the end of the first leg, and the other at the beginning of the second), so at least we don't have to make that choice. ;)

BTW: Can you tell me anything about Vantage? We've done lots of ocean cruising but this is our first river cruise. Are you also on the new ship (Discovery) for this B2B sailing?? JUST got an email notifying us that our DOCS are on the way!! We're doing our own air, but we're on the 2-day pre-cruise excursion in Amsterdam. CAN'T WAIT!!!! :D

Best,

Mary-Lou

Thanks a million for your "instant" reply, dear Maggiegrammie!! The town DOES sound like a fairyland, and I was already leaning toward it. The only appeal of Wurzburg is the Residenz' ceiling, which is supposed to be fabulous. Wish we could do both. :rolleyes:

What is your group doing for the other "CHOOSE ONE" tours?? We're thinking of the Gondola ride to the Niederwald monument (vs. the musical artifacts, which sounded nice, too, but not AS nice), but we can't decide between Medieval Nuremberg — or — Nuremberg and World War II.... Any ideas? :confused: Of course, because we're B2B on the TWO cruises that make up the Grand European, we get BOTH choices in Hungary (one at the end of the first leg, and the other at the beginning of the second), so at least we don't have to make that choice. ;)

BTW: Can you tell me anything about Vantage? We've done lots of ocean cruising but this is our first river cruise. Are you also on the new ship (Discovery) for this B2B sailing?? JUST got an email notifying us that our DOCS are on the way!! We're doing our own air, but we're on the 2-day pre-cruise excursion in Amsterdam. CAN'T WAIT!!!! :D

Best,

Mary-Lou

Dear Mary Lou:

I'm actually cruising on the river. I had visited the Siegfried's Mechanical Music instruments Museum. It's very interesting and has things you won't see at other places.

The guide in the museum is excellent. We were in Miltenberg yesterday and the town is beautiful. Be sure to take the town tour and go to the castle on top of the hill. You will have a beautiful of the river.

The Discovery that I'm on is fantastic. The Internet connection is wonderful. If you cruise on this one, be sure to bring your laptop or they have computers in the library for you to use.

Liem :)

I have not been to the Wurzburg Residenz but will be seeing it in 1 month as it is included in our Avalon Magnificent Europe cruise.

That said I have been to Rothenburg on a land tour with Globus in 2005. I loved Rothenburg and It is absolutely not to be missed.We spent a day there and I really hated to leave. It is a charming town.

I have done both and would definately do the Rothenburg visit over the Residenz/Wine Tasting. The latter tends to get a littel boring but I could have spent all day (we had about 3 house of free time) in Rothenburg.

I also have done both the Gondola and the Mechanical Music Museum and would recommend the gondola ride. The trip up and down is fantastic as are the views from the monument. Take a walk to the other side of the area on top for more (and better) views of the Danube.

I have taken both parts of your trip multiple times but never the entire Grand European on one holiday. I hope to do it in the future. I have only traveled on Grand Curcle but I hear Vantage and especially the new River Discovery are great.

Thanks so much, everyone!! You're so kind to reply, and I'm most grateful.... It really helps in the decision-making.

LIEM:

Are you NOW on Vantage's River Discovery, the new ship that launched in March (and which we are on in three weeks)??

If so, I'd be very grateful to know if the junior suites really have bath TUBS, and if the wireless Internet is free or if there's a charge....

If I've gone a bit off-topic, please feel free to email me instead: DrFUN@RealisticRomance.com

Best to all,

Mary-Lou

I can agree with most of the advice just given after my return from a Gate1 river tour.

1. Rothenburg is the much better choice! It's a touristy but wonderful place. The photo-ops are everywhere. We had about 3 1/2 hours of free time. I also walked some of the walls and towers. Wurzburg does have the Residenz and I was in the cellars for a wine tasting. Unfortunantly, the rest of Wurzburg is not unusual.

2. Nuremberg is fine to visit. I was reminded that most of the city was destroyed in WWII so you see major reconstruction in many areas. Americans seem more interested in viewing the remains of WWII **** activity. The Justice Palace was off-limits when I was there and we were discouraged from possible visiting by being told that the chambers did not look the same. The Europeans want to forget it. It's still interesting as compared to other options. Viewing the city, markets and fortress are still important.

3. Rudesheim is a popular river port and often crowded. The Mechanical Museum is an often included tour. If you emjoy the development of technology this is worthwhile. The trip to see the town from up high depends on your desire to go this way. There is usually enough time to see multiple items, with planning, during a day visit.

Archived