New Cruiser - Leaving Soon!!!

abigail

Leaving in a few days for Alaska cruise this August on Dawn Princess. I need advice on what type of clothing is recommended for ship days - how cold is it on deck? How casual can dress be - are jeans acceptable? Any other suggestions - what to see, bring, do?

Jeans are not only acceptable they are common, weather changes alot but will be brisk sometimes, classic advice it to layer, I do a t-shirt, sweatshirt, windbreaker. A nice pair of gloves on glasier day wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Have a great trip!!

Last year we went to Alaska Aug.2-16 and had wonderful weather. Being from South Florida we all brought tutlenecks, sweaters, jeans, wind pants/jackets, hats, mittens.....you name it. Anything to keep us warm we had it! :) We hardly ever needed these items. The only times we needed to 'bundle up' was one day in Fairbanks(rainy & damp all day), Glacier Bay, which the ship sails through, and our Helicopter tour in Juneau that took us to the top of Mendenhal Glacier. I had to buy T-shirts in Anchorage before we boarded the ship it was so 'warm'. Luckily I listen to these message boards and brought a couple pairs of shorts ....just in case I neede them!

I do have to say the temps can drop pretty quickly up there so you never really know. I would have a little of both. You can always take off if too warm or layer up if too cold. We also worn jeans during the day without any problems but changed to slacks and all for dinner.

You will have an awesome time. Alaska is such a unique place to visit. I can't wait to visit again but I need to save up some $$$$$ to do so. Enjoy!

Tina

I can't offer any assurances on the weather. It can change rapidly. We cruised Alaska in early August and had absolutely fabulous weather. Only rained the last day. And it was naturally chilly (with winds) when we were in Glacier Bay. So I echo the advice to layer.

I can assure you of two things, though:

1. You will find Alaska astoundingly beautiful, and
  2. You will become hooked on cruising.

Alaska was our first cruise, and it hooked us. Being able to be someplace different each morning without having to pack up, go, and unpack again is really one of the key beauties of cruising, IMO. We sailed on the Sea Princess, which is a sister to the Dawn. We liked the size of the ship. Not too big...not too small. I know you're going to have a great time.

Thanks Abigail for asking the question for those of you who responded. We are leaving the following week and I am soaking up all the advice I can get. Special thanks to you srphnx, you are always quick to respond and offer any advice based on your experience. We all appreciate it.

To everyone who responded - thanks for the quick responses! I was getting a little nervous about how to prepare. If you have any last minute words of wisdom, please share! I'm hoping you all remember how it feels to do this for the first time.

Thanks again!:)

I brought a rain poncho that folded into pocket size (available at Walmart, Target, OSH, camping departments). That way I knew I could be warm (in my sweatshirt, etc.) and dry if the need be. They ponchos are great because you can use them over again, but if they get in bad condition, they can be thrown away. Plus, they don't take up any suitcase space! We also brought along a small lightweight pair of binoculars. They we wonderful out on the deck while watching all of the nature go by. Have a great time! -Podge

Archived