Credit Card tip.....

oakbend

You should notify Visa. Perhaps they'll let you star in a commercial! You've got the wording down already. :)

Not a moment of glory for me. I just assume not be reminded of that one again. :( But it will be the last time I go to a port and don't bring my Visa card with my Amex card. Amex will still be my choice card (membership rewards, protection, insurance, etc). But you gotta have that backup. :cool:

You know if the tables were turned and someone really had stolen your CC number and the bank put a hold on your card (in which case they always try to call you) because they saw several charges in another country, you would hopefully be thanking them. There is no difference.

Nope. I don't really care if someone makes fraudulent charges on my card, as then I simply call up and dispute them and they disappear. It's the bank's problem, not mine.

Nope. I don't really care if someone makes fraudulent charges on my card, as then I simply call up and dispute them and they disappear. It's the bank's problem, not mine.

Well hope you have a nice cruise and here's hoping you wont run into any problems with the CC's..:)

PRINTERS

In some of the countries in the Caribbean, you have to be careful about your credit card receipts as they may print the full number on them. Instead of xxxxxxxx then the last four digits, they will print the whole thing. Ask them if you can cross out the first several digits on their copy (they already have an authorization number when they ran it through) and always scratch out all the numbers on your copy right away.

Not off topic, just shifting the focus.

There is a credit card company who does not charge a foreign transaction fee. the second word of the name is One. I was reading info on this on another thread, and thought I'd mentioned it here. Pretty good deal, as most cc companies/issuers charge 2-3% premium for transactions in other countries.

I figure, when I purchase my DW a diamond for 2k, I save enough to enjoy a reasonable dinner and drinks over what I might be "charged" otherwise. Also, the cc has a variable (tied to to LIBOR), currently 7.88% for balances. Not too bad.

One last comment. Always assume that the full cc number will be printed on the receipt. Many countries have no statute in place stipulating truncation.

:)

Not off topic, just shifting the focus.

There is a credit card company who does not charge a foreign transaction fee. the second word of the name is One. I was reading info on this on another thread, and thought I'd mentioned it here. Pretty good deal, as most cc companies/issuers charge 2-3% premium for transactions in other countries.

I figure, when I purchase my DW a diamond for 2k, I save enough to enjoy a reasonable dinner and drinks over what I might be "charged" otherwise. Also, the cc has a variable (tied to to LIBOR), currently 7.88% for balances. Not too bad.

One last comment. Always assume that the full cc number will be printed on the receipt. Many countries have no statute in place stipulating truncation.

:)

Yes I have ONE of those cards, and it is my travelin' card, I love the fact that I don't have 1-3% tacked on to my purchases. There is one other issuer that you could Discover, that doesn't charge a fee either, but not sure that they are as widely accepted internationally. I believe these are the only two that don't charge a fee for foreign transactions.

Lets see here total protection from fraud, no fee to convert currency, no annual fee. Why would you want anything else? That beats out cash and debit cards easily (just make sure you pay off the credit card when you get home, not need to throw away money on interest).

MAC

Archived