Credit Card tip.....

oakbend

Before you go on your cruise be sure and call your bank/credit card issuer so they know you will be leaving the country as not to flag your account as they sometimes do due to a different spending pattern. I would also suggest that you put a limit on any credit card charges in Mexico, in reality I would not use a credit in Mexico if you could avoid it. JMHO. Be safe!!!!!

I always use my CC in Mexico....i get a way better exchange rate and it keeps me from being stuck with a ton of pesos in change when I pay in dollars! But then again...I live 45 minutes away from Mexico and i dont go on wild shopping sprees.

It is a very good idea to let your bank and CC company know that you will be out of the country. American Express got a bit confused one year when I was using my card in Paris and my mom was using her card in Australia.

Good tip about the CC. If you use your CC at shoppes recommended by the cruise line and something strange appears on a bill, contact the cruise line and that shoppe will probably be taken off their preferred list. I will not use a cc at a shoppe not on the list.

Good tip on the calling first. But..... credit cards have a zero fraud liability policy, so you are protected. I would much rather carry a credit card around a foreign country that a wad of cash.

Don't even get me started on debit cards, even though they carry the visa or mastercard logo, they don't offer the same protection as credit cards, and if you use your pin number you get none of the visa or mastercard protection. I hardly ever use my debit card any more.

I still feel that credit cards are the safest bet when traveling, remember, to take along a sheet of paper with you credit card phone numbers on it (the international ones too) in case a card goes missing.

MAC

i AGREE - We were recently on the Paradise and while in Ensenada I was purchasing some clothes at a department store and my first purchase went through fine...then I went to the perfume counter and boom, card declined...This card was also attached to my Sign & Sail. Had to go back to the cabin, spend $27 on a phone call to them and they had put a hold on it because they were suspicious of the charges being made out of the country..they took the hold right off of course but I was mad at myself for not calling them in the first place....Never again. Already called the CC's to inform them of my upcoming trip.

Also, if you travel frequently, you can have your bank make a note of it... I used to call them before every trip, but one time they told me they had it noted in a profile and my account wouldn't be flagged... saves me from having to do one extra thing now!!!!

my bank debit..and AX or MC..I call both to the alert....recently, my debit/bank didnt adhere to my call..and it was declined with..$00,000 in my account..had to let go of my cash , and didnt want to at 1st port!

Good tip...............I learned about it the hard way. I bought my wife a ring in Grand Cayman, then tried to use it that afternoon to pay for drinks at a bar in GC...........declined. It didn't bother me though...........they were looking after my and their best interests. I call now before I go...........

I refuse to do this. If a CC issuer declines my card for using it in another country, I dump them and go to another. They serve me, not the other way around.

WOW.. they don't do it to inconvenience you, they do it TO SERVE you and help prevent fraud... you may not realize it, but if you go without making purchases out of the country and then out of country purchases start showing up, that is a HUGE fraud alert... so if they decline you, you shouldn't dump them, you should thank them... most banks and credit card agencies DO request that you let them know when you are traveling out of the country, or making purchases that might flag your account... thank goodness they do.

my bank debit..and AX or MC..I call both to the alert....recently, my debit/bank didnt adhere to my call..and it was declined with..$00,000 in my account..had to let go of my cash , and didnt want to at 1st port!

Well there is your problem :p

WOW.. they don't do it to inconvenience you, they do it TO SERVE you and help prevent fraud... you may not realize it, but if you go without making purchases out of the country and then out of country purchases start showing up, that is a HUGE fraud alert... so if they decline you, you shouldn't dump them, you should thank them... most banks and credit card agencies DO request that you let them know when you are traveling out of the country, or making purchases that might flag your account... thank goodness they do.

How does that serve me (us)? You and I don't have to pay for fraudulent charges on our credit cards. They do this for their own good, not ours. ;)

I consider having my card declined (or having to sit on hold to ask them to please not decline it) to be a huge inconvenience, and I don't put up with it.

Went to Pez Quadro in Costa Maya with only one credit card - my Amex card - big mistake. They don't take Amex. It took me an hour (and $5 in travel - not a big deal) to go back to the ship and get my Visa card. Lesson learned. I felt like I was in a Visa commercial. So, if you go to Pez Quadro, bring your SPF 30 and a healthy appetite. But also bring your Visa card because they don't take American Express. :D

How does that serve me (us)? You and I don't have to pay for fraudulent charges on our credit cards. They do this for their own good, not ours. ;)

I consider having my card declined (or having to sit on hold to ask them to please not decline it) to be a huge inconvenience, and I don't put up with it.

I bet you are a JOY to have as a customer :p

If you have never had to deal with the HEADACHE and COMPLETE inconvenience of identity theft or fraudulent charges, you are very lucky... certainly you are right, they do it only to inconvenience you :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip, that's good to know

i AGREE - We were recently on the Paradise and while in Ensenada I was purchasing some clothes at a department store and my first purchase went through fine...then I went to the perfume counter and boom, card declined...This card was also attached to my Sign & Sail. Had to go back to the cabin, spend $27 on a phone call to them and they had put a hold on it because they were suspicious of the charges being made out of the country..they took the hold right off of course but I was mad at myself for not calling them in the first place....Never again. Already called the CC's to inform them of my upcoming trip.

I have always notified my CC companies (I take two just in case, no more) when I will be out of the country/local area and where I will be during my travels. It makes no sense to leave the country without doing this. I for one would not want to be stuck in another state or country and have my credit card declined, then have to spend the time and money to call them, then have to wait for them to approve a purchase. I don't go on vacation to have to worry about this kind of stuff. Just do it the right way and enjoy your vacation.

I bet you are a JOY to have as a customer :p

I'm quite sure I'm a major PITA as a customer. :D

If you have never had to deal with the HEADACHE and COMPLETE inconvenience of identity theft or fraudulent charges, you are very lucky... certainly you are right, they do it only to inconvenience you :rolleyes:

A stolen credit card has nothing to do with identity theft, but I agree ID theft can be a major problem though I've never dealt with it personally.

However I have dealt with fraudulent charges, and never found it a big deal to take care of them: a quick call to the CC issuer to dispute the charges, they take the charges off my statement and send me a new card. No big deal.

In the meantime, I don't wish to inform my banks of my travel plans, and I won't do it. Just remember that the banks to this to protect themselves not you and me.

I'm quite sure I'm a major PITA as a customer. :D

A stolen credit card has nothing to do with identity theft, but I agree ID theft can be a major problem though I've never dealt with it personally.

However I have dealt with fraudulent charges, and never found it a big deal to take care of them: a quick call to the CC issuer to dispute the charges, they take the charges off my statement and send me a new card. No big deal.

In the meantime, I don't wish to inform my banks of my travel plans, and I won't do it. Just remember that the banks to this to protect themselves not you and me.

I don't doubt it...

Yes, a stolen card can have everything to do with identity theft, if you get targeted by the right criminal.

You are right... it isn't a big deal, when you are IN THE COUNTRY!!! When you are out of the country, it becomes a little bigger of a deal... not to mention, since you say you would just dump the company and go to another if they denied charges, you still have to wait until you are back in the country... I can't even imagine how stubborn one has to be to not want to take the 2 minutes it takes to do this, regardless of whos benefit it is for... I like that the banks protect themselves, LOL... call me crazy :rolleyes: Banks protecting themselves, ultimately protect me. I don't use credit cards other than my corporate amex... I don't have to call them any longer, and my bank has it noted in my account... but I also put restrictions on my debit card when I travel out of the country... my bank helps me with that, that protects MY money and also saves me from having to deal with a headache while on vacation.... It is of course your money, so do whatever you choose to do... you know what they say about a fool and his money... I prefer to guard myself from being the fool :D

You are right... it isn't a big deal, when you are IN THE COUNTRY!!! When you are out of the country, it becomes a little bigger of a deal... not to mention, since you say you would just dump the company and go to another if they denied charges, you still have to wait until you are back in the country...

No I don't. I carry several credit cards wherever I go. If one ticks me off, it goes to the back of the line. And I don't ever pay interest, so if I'm not using it, they aren't making any money off of me. ;)

I can't even imagine how stubborn one has to be to not want to take the 2 minutes it takes to do this, regardless of whos benefit it is for...

My wife tells me I'm very stubborn. Hey, it works for me. :D

but I also put restrictions on my debit card... you know what they say about a fool and his money... I prefer to guard myself from being the fool :D

You carry a debit card? :eek: Now THAT is truly dangerous. I don't go near those things. If someone gets ahold of that, it's YOUR money they're playing with until it's straightened out. If someone steals my credit card, it's the bank's money they're playing with until it's sorted out. ;)

So, if you go to Pez Quadro, bring your SPF 30 and a healthy appetite. But also bring your Visa card because they don't take American Express. :D

You should notify Visa. Perhaps they'll let you star in a commercial! You've got the wording down already. :)

I refuse to do this. If a CC issuer declines my card for using it in another country, I dump them and go to another. They serve me, not the other way around.

You know if the tables were turned and someone really had stolen your CC number and the bank put a hold on your card (in which case they always try to call you) because they saw several charges in another country, you would hopefully be thanking them. There is no difference.

Banks cannot read minds...they only use purchasing patterns.

You'll dump them???....Please tell me one bank that will tell you NOT to call them when out of the country

No I don't. I carry several credit cards wherever I go. If one ticks me off, it goes to the back of the line. And I don't ever pay interest, so if I'm not using it, they aren't making any money off of me. ;)

My wife tells me I'm very stubborn. Hey, it works for me. :D

You carry a debit card? :eek: Now THAT is truly dangerous. I don't go near those things. If someone gets ahold of that, it's YOUR money they're playing with until it's straightened out. If someone steals my credit card, it's the bank's money they're playing with until it's sorted out. ;)

LOL, yup... I do... I don't carry it off the ship with me, I carry travelers checks, but I pay for everything with my VISA debit card, and use it to secure my S&S account... and like I mentioned, I put restrictions on the account before traveling internationally... and transfer most of my money to my MMA (online, takes all of 4 seconds), just to be on the safe side. I have had an issue once with my debit card (it was here in the States)... the money was put back into my account within the hour, and the bank dealt with it... just like it happened when I had an issue with my CC...

Archived