Please explain ncl's tipping to us......

momof5js

We will be doing our first cruise next month on POH. We were going over our budget & spending money the other day. I told my husband he'll need to take extra cash for tipping. But he said "He doesn't have to personally tip anyone. Becuase NCL automatically includes tipping." I told him it is still customary to personally tip your concierge & maid (since we'll have a suite). He says I'm wrong & he's not planning on tipping any extra.

Who's right? Me or him? I don't want to spend/tip more than is necessary. But at the same time I don't want to be cheapskates either.

Please tell us what is correct cruise etiquette.

You both are ;) He is right he does not "have" to tip anyone. We never do anywhere. The fact is on NCLA all the American workers are paid by the hour and even with the service charge get no additional "tips" unless the passengers provide them. Cash is King.

On the other hand it is customary to tip the concierge and butler in a suite based on the services requested. On POH no tip is automaticly added to bar checks and a tip is normal. For servers who go the extra mile in the restaurants a small cash tip is not unusual. A tip to the cabin stewards if they do a great job is very common.

NCL's offical view.

GRATUITIES

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL America or Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for service that is generally rendered to all guests.

However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile", and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Seems I read recently that there is an automatic 10.00 per day per cruiser put on your onboard account

...my questions are :

....can you take this off your onboard account/adjust according to the service you received for these designated amounts

...or can you take off your onboard account and just tip personally for all your onboard services ...

We are going on the Jade (POH) next year in Europe..

thanks for your help :)

Seems I read recently that there is an automatic 10.00 per day per cruiser put on your onboard account

...my questions are :

....can you take this off your onboard account/adjust according to the service you received for these designated amounts

...or can you take off your onboard account and just tip personally for all your onboard services ...

We are going on the Jade (POH) next year in Europe..

thanks for your help :)

You will find it almost imposible to tip as you go on a Freestyle ship unless you carry a roll of small bills at all times. You may not see the same person twice. :confused:

I think you will find the $10 minmum service charge well worth the money. If in fact you do have major service problems and are successfull in having it removed keep in mind everyone you tip personally is required to turn it into the pool. Not fare to get a full share plus the cash from someone who did not support the whole crew.

For those that go the extra mile and you wish to reward personally they can keep that cash if you are in the pool.

NCL - Statement - if is fixed but.

SERVICE CHARGE

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three. Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and is compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that the service charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise vacation. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced. Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone’s complete satisfaction.

This subject is an ongoing one; there probably isn't a right answer. For the person who said the tip can not be adjusted, this isn't so. If you have a service problem it is recommended you contact a manager, be it in the restaurant, housekeeping or whatever. You are encouraged not to adjust the tips as $10 should be a minimum; many of us do add a little extra to those who have gone above and beyound. If you have discussed your problems with management and are still not satisfied then you can adjust. If you simply want to tip your own way, this just isn't recommended when cruising freestyle. BTW, Carnival and HAL have also gone to the $10 per day. I hope I have explained this to some degree and not just confused you more.

The NCLA ships work a little differently like Shoreguy explained. Yes, you do tip your concierge extra as well as the butler, if you have one. the maid is the same as the cabin steward and is part of the $10 per day charge. NMNita

Archived