Itenerary on the fly...

trimixdvr

Well our cruise on the empress was cancelled, the logistics of getting family here to watch the house and pets precluded changing dates...they are already here. But thanks to some understanding vendors and openings at some key spots we are comming anyway and doing a full land tour....watcha think? A couple days are a litle rough scheduling wise but should be a very nice vacation.

13th

Alaska Airlines 19 Orlando (MCO)

6:30 pm Wed, Jun 13 Seattle (SEA)

9:24 pm Wed, Jun 13 First • Boeing 737-800

Nonstop • 90% On-Time

Meal: Dinner**

Alaska Airlines 129 Seattle (SEA)

10:05 pm Wed, Jun 13 Anchorage (ANC)

+ 12:37 am Thu, Jun 14 First • Boeing MD-80

Nonstop • 80% On-Time

Meal: None

Pick up rental car at Alamo Airport. Decide to sleep or not.

14th

Drive to Aleyaska Resort (Alyeska Resort Concierge 907.754.2108) Dinner reservations at Jap steak house 7:30.

Hotel Paid in full. Relax and catch up. Verify Tour and meal reservations.

15th

Aleyaska Full day, Prince William Sound helicopter tour 10:30 am, drive to the wildlife preserve in afternoon. Deposit made on hello tour. Dinner at Seven Glaciers (8pm)

16th

Drive to Whittier, 26 glacier cruise (Phillips)1-5:50 pm (paid In full). Eat at double musky on return trip.

17th

Drive to Homer, take in the sites. 6-10 hours. Stay at the double eagle boat house. Diner in town. Advise Emerald air of arrival.

18th

Homer emerald air full day bear trip (50% paid) 907-235 6993.

19th

Open Time, take ferry across the bay or fishing charter

20th

Drive to seward, Aquarium if time permits. Stay at van gilder.(paid in full). Dinner at crab pot resteraunt. Get fishing license for following day.

21st

Seward Small boat combo tour, saltwater lodge departs 7:45 a.m. (paid)(907) 224-5271 Stay at cabin on a cliff (paid in full) . Dinner at Chinooks. Relax and knock of early…

22nd

Rough day. Leave Seward at 300 am, 127 mile drive to anchorage airport (3 hours). Return rental car. Check in for Penair flt 201 to king salmon (brooks lodge)(paid in full)

Hang out and hope for a little bear action…if not fishing (-:

23rd

Valley of ten thousand smokes tour…

24th

Brooks lodge, depart 630pm, stay at dimondcenter hotel(reservations made).

25th

Depart anchorage for Mkinley Lodge via princes rails. Relax.

26th

Mkinley summit flight tour, other optional tour time left open.

27th

Depart Mkinley via princess rail to anchorage. Stay at dimondcenter hotel.

28th

Free day in anchorage, whatever strikes our fancy.

29th

Depart via Alaska airlines 7 am flight to Juneau. Pick up rental car at airport. Glacier landing helicopter tour 1pm, stay at pearsons pond (paid 50%). Mendenhall glacier, drinks out in town.

30th

Marv and harv photography tour(paid in full). Return for dinner, a few drinks in town and back to pearsons to relax. Get to airport at 11pm for 1 am departure. Return rental car.

As only a suggestion, I would definately stay overnight in Anchorage, rather than Seward the 22nd. You are taking a chance by leaving 3am, very dark road, wildlife, etc.

I also would not be at the McKinley lodge for 3 days, it will be 100 miles round trip every time you go back and forth to Talkeetna, it will get old after the first trip. I do think it far better to stay in town, with the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge definately on par with the Princess lodge, and just as excellent views of McKinley, if out. My opinion only, McKinley lodge at most is a place to stay without a car, one day. I wouldn't be there any longer without one. Do you have some reason for spending all this time there??? Hopefully you have 2 for 1 discounts etc??? Essentially few activities otherwise.

thanks budgetqueen, we got a 2 for 1 to mkinley. so didnt cost much. I was going to go home then but flights are booked and wasnt able to use my first classs upgrades, so we thought we would go there and hang out and relax for a few days, we'll be pretty much done by then...it would be better to stay in anchorage the night before brooks, already had the cabin paid for and am trying to cancel but havent heard back yet...

thanks budgetqueen, we got a 2 for 1 to mkinley. so didnt cost much.

Not to offend you, but this is a prime example to others to watch for "bargain" coupons for accommodations. Certainly "two for one" is cheaper, but is it really a place you want to be spending your time? Could you have found another place for the second night (personally for me, for both nights!) that would be a better use of your time? Talkeetna? Denali NP? I would not spend all that time going to Alaska to spend two nights at a remote lodge like McKinley unless I had a keen interest in hiking (which I do, but even then I have found other hikes that I like that are in places I have really enjoyed or will enjoy next month).

Moral of the story - don't book something just because it has a coupon. Look at all your options and best use of your time and money. Sorry to perhaps rain on your parade, but I wanted to give my opinion.

Having said that, I think your itinerary is great. I trust Brooks will be nice to you and let you see some bears. They don't start in full force until July. I am going there July 9-12.

lol, I didnt book it because it has a coupon..I plan to do allot of hiking the first day. Friends from tok are picking us up the second to do several things they have planned, third we'll sleep in late and enjoy the train ride back....thanks for you concern

Good for you - I like your itinerary, with a few suggestions.

13th - I recommend sleeping - you had a long flight, and Alaska is 4 hours off Florida. :eek:

14-15th - For breakfast and/or lunch, we like the Bake Shop, about a mile from Alyeska. It's behind what used to be called the Jade Shop, and now I think the sign just said Gift Shop.

19th - If you want to go to Seldovia, we liked the Discovery which left Homer at 11:00am (they want you there 1/2 hour early). We had a great tour of the bay, seeing lots of birds, otters, etc., spent almost 3 hours in Seldovia, where we had lunch and looked around, and were back in Homer about 6:15.

22nd - :confused: :( I'm concerned about that early morning drive - if you liked Alyeska, maybe you could go back there?

28th - If it's raining in Anchorage, I really recommend the Anchorage Museum of History and Art at 7th and A. :D Right now they have two exhibits of native art - both old and recent. And you can have lunch there, but we usually go to the Federal Building across the street). Whatever you decide to do, it sounds like you'll have a great time. Nancy

Hi,

We were also booked on the Empress (May 19th sailing) and the ship hit rock just 4 days before we were to leave :(

Our schedules were somewhat flexible and we rebooked on the Empress for Aug. 4th. Hopefully that will be a good week for us to be there. I'm looking forward to it.

Hope your land visit is great!

Grammy

Archived