Please, help with NYC touring

tsj

I need help planning our tour of the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island.

Our flight will arrive at LGA on 7/3 @ 10:30 am, we will stay at the Embassy Suites NYC which is close to Battery park. I wondering if it feasible to do this tour the day we arrive? The other option is July 4th (LOL, I'm sure that won't be a busy time to tour!), the thing is a few of us have tickets to a Broadway Matinee so I'm sure those of us going to the theater would not be able to tour both sites. So my questions are , should I buy tour/ferry tix in advance, which day is probably my best bet? Also if I decide to go on the 4th how long will should it take to taxi from Battery Park to the Majestic theater? Thank you in advance. Teri

With the show, you definately can not do Statue of Liberty the same day and make it midtown for a 2pm show. Just no way to predict how crowded the ferry line will be and security is slow and time consuming. Allow about 20 min. for a cab ride.

You are going to have a hard time fitting both SOL and Ellis Island in with your current schedule. Not enough time either day, since both close around 5pm. An option would be to choose one and just go with that.

I wouldn't try to do the SOL and Ellis on July 4. The city will be packed because they have fireworks that night and many people bring their own boats into the harbor that day and anchor to watch the fireworks.

Ellis Island will take you a few hours. If I were pressed for time, I'd try to do that only on the day you arrive. You will sail past the SOL anyway and can take pics - if you aren't planning on going into the SOL, all you'll do is walk around the island.

Archived